Political discussions...

see this is what i have an issue with. if you want steel go to a british company if you want iron ore or what ever go to a british country only if we dont produce it do you need to import it. in which case why are you operating in britain. so you cant sell your product to europe anymore what about the rest of the world. and dont come back and tell me oh well i know a ice manufacturer that tried to sell ice to an Alaskan company maybe try a company in the sahara.

the more i hear about how these companies are struggerling the more i am inclined to think they were part of the issue employing cheap labour and screwing the country they now cry into their wheaties about

I’ve had this conversation with yer mate Frangers…(he of the totally closed mind.)

Cameron promised a Brexit vote, he was so arrogantly confident after his preventive negotiations to get a deal causing us to remain within,.that he staked (and lost) his Prime ministerial career on it.
The whole Tory crew got the shock of their lives and a bloody nose over it.

Boris took the reins, and got us out…now whether he was fully on board in his own mind is debatable, but he was democratically obliged to go with it,.and carried out the task.

What followed is history, slong with Covid, a half arsed and somewhat reluctant approach to going through the motions to make it work took place…, or at least look like it is being tried to work.

A bit like you and me being paid a fabulous wage to promote the lgbtabcxyz crew…not done in the most enthusiastic way, but appearances
kept up for whatever reason, financially or otherwise.
I believe this was done in an effort to sicken those for Brexit,.with the possible result of getting a second referendum…especially with the likes of Frangers continuosly belly aching about not getting their own way.

Now if the likes of Farage and his chosen team of enthusiastic dedicated Brexiteers had ran the show, maybe the businesses you refer to would be somewhere now between surviving and thriving…who knows.

I strongly believe all that btw.

Did you add the ■■■■ or did it arrive like that?

1 Like

This is the standard view I’m finding with those online advocating Reform UK: “Brexit was a good idea just badly handled”. It wasn’t a good idea at all, otherwise it would have been straightforward to deliver on all the promises.
Boris probably did the best Bojo-bodge-job he could, but I bet if he was honest he’d rather have not had to do it and just heckled whoever else got stuck with it.

I don’t think Cameron was arrogant, I think he honestly believed people were smarter than they turned out to be.

The world’s largest economy is on our doorstep, so in terms of “sell to the rest of the world”, it’s a very reduced “world” that is available.
And those Stilton producers were employing local people, not low-paid immigrants.

Obviously whether it was a good idea or not,… or whether Cameron was arrogant or not, is (and was) open to opinion…hence the referendum.
A referendum where most people actually DID think it was a good idea in fact.

Now just because YOU , or in fact ME , think we are/were RIGHT , does not necessarilly make it so, in either side,.although we could argue the case all day.
So lets agree to differ.

Not a problem, but anytime Reform is mentioned, its always going to be my main reason for not voting for them. Not that I find any of the alternatives any more appealing.
Worst.Election.Choices.Ever (since my eligibility to vote began).

Just listen to yourself. Essentially calling people who voted for brexit less smart. You lot just won’t let it go will you :laughing: :laughing:

well if you have any contact with this specific company morrisons dont sell ant british made stilton least my local one doesnt so there is a market for them.

there are lots of companys that say you have to be local to work there or live within a certain distance. there is a fruit juice manufacturer down the road from me yet 99% of the workforce on the floor doesnt speak english as a native language, Given any excuse they will get rid of a british worker.

it was easy they just didnt want it so deliberately screwed it up to continue lining their pockets. An oven ready chicken is easy to cook but it doesnt stop someone putting it in the oven at 250 degrees for 4 hours.

what should of happened soon as brussles started acting like a spoilt brat was export nothing to them including power and import nothing. all we ended up with is a rehash of mays deal which incidentally cammeron supported

You don’t seem to understand how exports and imports work, it’s a balance. Us not exporting our goods simply allows other countries to fill that gap. It’s this belief that they needed us more than we needed them that allowed this to happen.

maybe i dont however exporting x amount of tonnes of product at so many million then paying more to import less makes no sence. which is the basic premis of what the eu common market became hence the vote to leave

of course we need to export as they do to. we imported more from the eu than we exported hence all the cobblers about how the supermarket shelves will be bare. simply put all may wanted to do was allow them to import more crap and not take anything from us. which is effectively what has been implemented.

your very arguments over the last few posts suggests this. if we didnt import cheese from france and other countries then british cheese manufacturers wouldn’t be struggling.

of course what no one is saying because its racist is the migrant worker history ie spain italy etc is the economy was destroyed then the migrant worker moved on. only reason they have dragged on this long is because of eu funding propping them up which is one of the reasons the likes of germany is getting restless and threatening to leave.

Not even remotely close: the vote to leave was predicated mainly on the two big promises of:

1. Control of immigration - epic fail beyond anyone’s imagining
  2. £350M per week for the NHS instead of being sent to Brussels - if this was any more wrong it would start heading back round the circle towards truth

further down the list and not promoted on the side of buses, “Leave” promised
3) Higher wages - yes, of course that turned out to be true which is why the barely-above-NLW jobs I see advertised regularly must simply be a whole series of misprints :roll_eyes:
4) Strengthening of the England-Scotland union - :joy: If the SNP wasn’t imploding we’d be looking at a second Scottish Independence referendum
5) Cutting VAT on energy bills - I think we’re all still waiting for that one to kick in

There were other things promised but I think that’s enough

Hang on, I thought Brexit “got done” by your pin-up-PM Boris ( ʿAlayhi-al-salām) ?
How could what the Prime Ministerial Prophet (peace be upon him) delivered be anything less than perfect?

That’s like saying if we didn’t import Citroens, prestige car manufacturers like Aston Martin wouldn’t be in trouble. There are only six Stilton manufacturers in the world, it is a name with Protected Designation of Origin, so is as unique as the Aston Martin is. Their problem is not alternative (French or otherwise) cheeses, it is difficulties in exporting and the increased costs & logistical problems of imported bacterial cultures, rennet etc

I think it’s just the far-right AfD (Alternative für Deutschland) who are talking about a desire to leave (then it will be Springtime for you-know-who all over again :grin:). Their current Chancellor, Olaf Scholz, said “Dexit”, would be catastrophic: “That would be the biggest destroyer of wealth that could ever happen to Europe and Germany”

“Our country has profited more than any other from the EU and [European] co-operation.” Also saying that Brexit had “plunged the UK into economic disaster”.

The SNP might laughingly add to that “O wad some Pow’r the giftie gie us,
To see oursels as ithers see us”

However if France gets a far-right government, they might potentially leave and that will put pressure on Germany, perhaps too much pressure.

In which event, the irony for Farage could in the near future be that he failed to have a right-wing government in the UK and now has to watch as France and Germany achieve what he wanted for himself :joy:

there is a difference between migration ie free movement and immigration which is controlled. problem with all the whiners moaning about brexit are also the same ones complaining their business went under because of a driver shortage. doesnt matter if its physical bums on seats or skilled drivers. there either is a shortage or not.

if there is some form of shortage be it causal workers , drivers or warehouse staff or what ever caused by brexit and/or the ee drivers going home then it shows that brexit did lower migration.

could be spent on the nhs

if i pack in smoking i could save 100 quid a week doesnt mean that after 12 months i will have 5200 saved. i will only have that saved if i dont spend the money on anything else.

since when… i bet during the first years when the ee drivers went home the wages went up. mind you it looks like the wages are similar to here far more than £11.44.

a friend of mine works nights for fowler welch 18 ph mon-fri 20.75 sat and 24.81 sunday. so wages have gone up by the companies that actualy want to recruit british drivers.

i have always said if the scots want independence let them have it it worked out well for cornwall. scotland wanted independence when they thought they could join the eu as an independent country and become another money drain that hope was soon dashed which is why they lost the last referendum.

de minimis for businesses came in for energy in 2023 cant find when the vat rate for domestic energy became 5% however they also introduced a lower tax or tax free for installation of renewables.

brexit its self was done by boris correct. 2021 we were all set. then came the whinging and moaning about oh i cant get drivers i cant sell my ice to iceland etc etc etc. so our esteemed leaders (read truss and sunak) have come up with the bs we have now.

no that is apples and oranges. one is a bog standard box on wheels and another is prestige. what i am saying is if we didnt import wheat for flour etc then we would still have wheat farmers at the level we had. if we wernt forced to sell our steel at a low rate the british steel industry wouldnt be on its knees.

1. we need these bacterial cultures so we import them or is a bacteria a living organisum… yes… does the people we import from grow them… yes i know lets grow our own. just like it was done originally and for god knows how many 100’s of years.

2. we need rennet ok we can import it or wait 5000 calves are slaughtered each month in the uk maybe we could get their stomachs and make our own just like it was done originally as well.

3. it costs me x amount to transport the goods to market in eu because of tarrifs… i know there arent any tariffs if i sell locally like we used to if i genuinely cant sell to uk stores then instead of the price being y its now x + y. Dont believe it works. go to the duty free store on the border of vietnam and cambodia and try buying a bottle of bells for 20 odd quid. when i was there it was nearly 300. a pint of guiness export in cambodia and laos was over 12 quid

The germans/french are in a little bit of a different situation as they use the euro. however there are rumors that the germans have stock pilled the mark that is still semi linked to the dollar.

Oh it was definitely my own work. I feel it’s my artistic representation of the inner struggle I have :joy:

They are not the dictionary definitions of those words

First line is just a sweeping generalization which ignores every other aspect of business that doesn’t concern HGV driving.
Second line - there is no shortage of “people with an HGV entitlement”, any shortage that might exist is a “shortage of people Operators are happy to employ”.

I’m pretty sure the one thing that everyone agrees with is that there are too many “people entering this country” (worded to avoid the misunderstanding of the missing dictionary)

Vote Leave’s supposed “trump card”

There are fairly well defined regional differences in wages, unsurprisingly related to regional differences in costs of living. The figures you’re quoting aren’t matched by wages in other areas, particularly the North. And, I’d wager uop here we have more “British drivers” than in your area, things are far less multi-cultural once you’re north of Leeds.
Here’s a random job advert from Indeed

News flash - Cornwall is not an independent country.

And massive misunderstanding of the Scots POV, many still want independence. Had the SNP been in a position to repeat their most recent success, they would definitely be pushing for it, and if they had it, they would be entitled to pursue EU membership. I can’t see SNP doing well next week though.

A random dip into my online energy billing shows VAT is the same now as it was before Brexit. I’m not planning on spending money to install anything above and beyond what I already have

There’s always someone else to blame isn’t there?. We were not “all set” (by which I take it you mean delivering on the promises, see bus image above).

We were NEVER going to get “the deal” many people believed we would, because those many people didn’t understand that international politics with its laws and inherent responsibilities is not as simple as metaphorically stamping your feet and demanding what you want.

Big Nige is still trying to sell the image that he can lead Britain in the style of a maverick character in a Hollywood film: His claim that he would have people “picked up in the channel and returned to France” is nonsense and illegal under all international laws, both terrestrial and maritime. This is what happens when you spend too much time with the likes of Trump, you start talking the same type of garbage.

You’re not doing too well with analogies, your notion of generic French cheese imports harming producers of world famous British cheese products is precisely the equivalent of what I described

The international marketplace for both wheat and steel is so much more complicated than you seem to appreciate:
We use wheat in a variety of ways, much of what we produce here is “green wheat” (mostly for animal feed) and is not appropriate for milling (actual human food production). Our “in use” agricultural land is only 40% of the agricultural land needed to produce the food we consume.

Steel… the Chinese flooded the market with their ridiculously cheap steel, that is what drove prices down. If we decided to use on;y British Steel for British products, these products would be too expensive for people to want to buy.

Also, the situation with Tata and their Porth Talbot site suggests we may pretty much see the end of steel making in this country (again). Unions voting to strike isn’t going to change the POV of Tata when they’re claiming the plant is losing £1m per day, just like the UK demanding a certain “deal” from the EU didn’t change the POV of the other stakeholders.

I’m going to hazard a guess that the Stilton manufacturers have already well considered those points and that there are sound reasons why they have not done so. The guys being interviewed by R4 didn’t go into that kind of detail, only that it was a genuine problem.

Local shops for local people (“we’ll have no trouble heeeeere”) are limited by the local economy. They aren’t going to grow beyond a certain level. If there’s one thing all the political parties say we need it is “growth”.

localshop

The Euro as a currency isn’t a factor in the rising popularity of the far-right in those countries. Germany is an odd example when it comes to currency, they never set a deadline for swapping Marks into Euros, so it never totally went out of use; banks still happily accept them as do many businesses.

As far as I remember as a kid, the initial stages of ‘joining’ Europe was purely trade…Us the UK, trading with mainland Europe as an independent nation, a ‘Common Market’ system as it was always referred to, EFTA and all that ,as far as I recall anyway…(I was too busy chasing girls and playing football in those days to be arsed with politics)

Then came the idea of the EU, what was essentially (loosely speaking) ‘The Fourth Reich’ if you will, (a concept that was tried under VERY different methods 30 to 40 years earlier by an ambitious Austrian)
A full European State, a la USA, and governed in Brussels with it’s own laws currency etc, …where Britain would be just a part of it.

THAT is when people realised what was going on and started to think about it.
And wanted to get tf away from it all.
(I can hear Frangers shouting (one of) his pompous trademark catch phrases…‘Nonsense’,…as I print this btw.:joy:)

So trade with Europe which we managed so well in the past…Yes fine, lets wirk on it.
Or
Part of the ‘4th Reich’…
In the words of the great Jim Royle…‘My Arse’.

Yes I’d be tempted to agree that it grew too far beyond it’s initial conception. Similarly I was not of voting age when it began. Thatcher (as much as we still curse her name up here) dug her heels in and got the UK a “special deal”.

Maybe there was some truth to the idea that some wanted a United Federation of European Countries, but then again maybe this was partially paranoia.

Should changes have been made to the EU? Yes, there were solid grounds for arguing that.

But it is better to attempt change from within a system than from the outside.
for a start we could have had a situation where we made it clear that there wasn’t a full-benefits-package for all and sundry arriving here. Is there any other solid reason that so many migrants insist they only want to get to the UK? And where it is claimed they have family and friends here, is that not because of the legendary status of the UK that we give it all away to anyone who lives here?

i cant give you the oxford definitions as they are behind a paywall but i can give you the cambridge definitions

the process of people travelling to a new place to live, usually in large numbers:

There was a mass migration of poverty-stricken farmers into the cities.

He argues that there are many economic benefits of migration.

so maybe now people can quit deliberately confusing the two to try and score points for their warped view of brexit.

yet every time a transport company goes bust there is the immortal cry of we couldnt get drivers.

As you think its about skill let me ask you this. 2 drivers turn up for an assessment both claim the same number of years experience one is british born has 6 months on his tacho with no infringements clean license gets all the questions right on the written test, couples and un couples correctly but takes 3 shunts on the reversing exercise. second person is romanian had to have his mate explain all the questions because he couldnt read them has to have three attempts at the written exam because he kept missing questions and getting some wrong he even put the same answer after being told it was wrong at one point. has 9 points on his license and an infringement at least once a week for driving time or breaks. when it came to the couple/uncouple he kept pulling on the release handle with out taking the clip out and had to be told. however he managed to complete the reverse with 1 shunt.

your boss tells you you have to employ one of them which would you employ.

and how many billions were spent on the extra hospitals ppe and other stuff for covid?

tht is why i chose an example of a company that was both down here and up there. given your experience and position there was a fair chance you would know what they were paying and we could of compared them. but there are companies down here that pay 12 quid an hour for days however they are advertising every week and are also in front of the tm a lot.

exactly my point

they can pursue what they like doesnt mean it will happen mind you i havent heard of any distilleries going bust and as for the summer isle they seem to be doing ok now some yank company has bought them out.

humm mine didnt go back that far and i have lived here since 2011 with the same supplier.
but as said i couldnt find what the domestic energy vat rate was only change i could find was business/commercial.

what like brexit you mean and driver shortage

yet the eu did just that

actually maritime law states that if someone is in genuine difficulty you have to go to their rescue if practical and take them to the nearest safe place.

i very much doubt they have. they have had a cushy ride and now have to put their hands in their pockets and change so they are crying on r4 aboiut it

tell that to the supermarkets that supply local produce

its not the far right as you call it its the general population that has had a belly full of the eu

Yep,.I aint anti Europe common market type trade,.I am just anti European Union for the reasons I pointed out.

As for illegal migrants choosing to come to a small island over (and after sampling) a much larger mainland, there needs to be some kind of deterrent.
If sending them back, or simply turning them around half way aint an option, (cant see why btw) lets start dealing with the soft touch of handing everything in form of monetary and physical benefits over to them on a plate…and concenteate on the needy group of the native indigenous people instead.
I can not see a Socialist Labour government doing any of this in reality.
ONE of the reasons I wont be voting for them.