Political discussions...

Good grief.

Just word soup.

yes i have too bad the brexit vote was 2016 huh

the 220.838 billion from imports is coming in by flying pig then?? any day on the m20/m2 you will see more forign registered lorrys than british.

mirror mirror on the wall who cant bloody read. Plus that list is inaccurate whites is out thanet way not london but there are 12 companies on the list 9 are in areas that voted remain. so guess i was right

you have repeatedly said that there is a shortage of good drivers and companies in your area are crying out for it. if you dot like the british labor where you going to get ir from, maybe these mythical flying pigs that are doing all the import work will take it not to mention all the immigrants

im sorry the link was supposed to be the whole topic not a specific post
https://www.trucknetuk.com/t/brexit-stuff-in-one-place-merged/

OK, I think I see the error here:
I said trade.
The 186 is exports only.

Of course there was a big increase after two lockdowns.
(Smaller and slower than that of other developed economies, but it was still there.)

There has been in real terms a fall in trade since 2019.
And clearly a fall in both numerical and absolute terms a fall for 5 quarters.

Oh well then…
Next time you ask for proof of summat I will give a link to the Encyclopedia Britannica.

well there are too many reference in that lot of you and others saying how we will starve etc

you do realise that in general terms if i graph line goes up it means its increasing right? or have you possibly got your pc monitor upside down

Really?
Well…no. Just your imagination.

Lots of people saying things will be worse out, rather than in, and events have rather shown that to be correct.

Lots of people saying things will be hmmm…
“there will be no downside to Brexit at all, and considerable upsides,”…David Davis
and 1,000 others here

In general terms it pays to actually read graphs, not make assumptions.

From your link look at the last 5 quarters.
That is going from a higher position to a lower position.
Even a simple assumption , or cursory glance, would suggest that this is…down.

If you don’ t understand the concept of inflation and real terms values might I suggest that you instead look at the total number of trucks crossing the Channel?
Wouldn’t that give a better clue as to trade?

i do you seem to have the issue not me im quite capable of understanding that 209,968 is a bigger number than 158,181
using your tool £158181000000 in 2020 would be worth £192,314,377,461.04 in 2023 so trade has gone up 17 billion so no it hasnt fallen in the last 5 quarters this is what is meant by the graph climbing and the latter figgure being bigger than the preceding one;)

i keep offering you this deal in various ways but so far you havent taken me up on it…
you give me 209,billion and ill give you 192 billion back. we can do it as many times as you like

How is comparing two figures both after Brexit any form of comparison about Brexit effects?
2020…When the UK had already left the EU.
And there was a Covid lockdown.

Are you choosing 2020 because you are deliberately cherry-picking the lowest possible year?

Do you not know when we left the EU?
Or are you deliberately choosing a false figure?

Q4 2019 £361b or £442b in today money (when we were still in the EU)
Q4 2023 ________£431b

Q3 2022 £462b

Q4 2023 £432b
(Not adjusted for inflation)

FFS… at least TRY to use some logical analysis.

Yes, there are indeed too many HGV entitlement holders and too few capable drivers:
But, I did not say “I do not like British workers”, you are simply assuming that’s what I meant because it fits your own internal narrative.

Having too many UK HGV entitlement holders lacking in the necessary basic capabilities DOES NOT equate to a direct need for mainland European drivers, but a need to have higher standards for home grown drivers.

I did not say the list I posted of hauliers gone into administration was a complete list of all 494 that were mentioned, it was a representative sample put together by someone independently reporting on the documented facts. However, if you can post locations for all 494, illustrating the northern England hauliers make up 51% of those going bust, I will happily concede that argument.

I believe that would be a fruitless search, because if there was a geographical bias in the list of “hauliers going bust”, I’m very confident that those who get paid to analyze and report on the data would not have missed an uneven distribution of that data.

And you don’t understand that Brexit was a first-past-the-post situation, we did not “vote by area” like a General Election. Results may be viewed by area, but that was not the criteria for leaving.

There are well-informed, highly-educated people who study all of the data in intense detail, the bottom line from most of these analyses is that we were “sold a pup” from start to finish. (academic talk about that in the link)

Brexit was badly done, even those who fervently wanted it don’t like what we got; the incumbent government who presided over it (including your precious Boris) misled us and didn’t even fully understand what they were doing. British companies have suffered because of it, especially the haulage industry, and the situation is still unfolding and will continue to unfold for a very long time to come.

All UK trade is down except dry bulk.
Ro-Ro traffic was down 5% from 2019 (in the EU) to 2022 (outside EU)

Consistently lower figures 2022 and 2023 than the last year before Brexit 2019.

Quote:
The OBR’s latest evidence on the impact of Brexit on UK trade, published in March 2022, also finds that the UK appears to have become a less trade intensive economy, with trade as a share of Gross Domestic Product (GDP) falling 12% since 2019, the largest fall of any G7 country.

sorry wrong again we left the eu on jan 31 2020 at 11pm gmt or 1 feb 2020 at midnight cet

yes as proved i do know when we left. your the one choosing a false figure why look at the fourth quarter of 19 when we didnt leave till the first quarter of 2020

i dont understand your fascination of manipulating figures to suit your cause and blatant lying. If i said today i am going to loose 1 stone as i weigh 12 stone (i dont btw) i will of achieved that target when i get down to 11 stone it doesnt matter a bit what i weighed 2 years ago or that when i was born i weighed 6lb 12oz

now i didn’t think i would have to explain this one as well but exports make money imports cost money so your 361billion is complete hogwash. Besides that we were talking about export as the brexit argument was that we wouldn’t be able to export anything anymore and the economy would collapse.

just what…
q3 2022 exports 227,423 million q4 2022 232,125 million a profit increase of 4,702 million so it went up didnt it that is good. Yes export has fallen from there but that is 4 quarters and imports has fallen as well.

lets explain it like this if i buy a share for a pound then the price falls to 10 pence i have lost money but if it then rises to 2 pounds a share over the same year i have doubled my money ignoring taxes due yes it fell but the overall trend is upwards

i didnt say anything about the 494 companies i said the ones mentioned on here as i pointed out in my previous post but i guess that doesnt fit your narrative

tell that to the northern irish .one area would be smothered in remain posters and another smothered in leave posters. However i take your point that it was different to a ge as in we were all out or all in one area couldn’t remain while another left while in a ge 1 area could have a conservative mp while another could have a labour mp. i take that on board. however even though the area with the labour mp has what they voted for it could easily be a conservative government. I bet that area will still moan like the clappers and pick holes in everything the government does. Therefore it is possible that the government will be blamed for their business failing rather than their own mismanagement which is the point i was making.

Is this the same people that downladed a csv file from the dvla and then said oh look we need drivers as this many are going to retire and got paid nearly 200,000 for it. Or do you mean whats his name from imperial collage that basically drew an upside down bath curve for the covid infection rate.

then here is an idea take on an inexperienced driver that has had the gumption to try and get a professional qualification and wants to learn and train them

1. I manage other people’s transport operations, I don’t own the operation
  2. I advise on the suitability of staff but I don’t dictate the direct employment of Tom, Richard or Harry, unless they have more than 6 points or a DD, DR or IN offence, or a CU80, on their licence
  3. Training costs time and money. Business people, my clients are invariably SMEs who do not have massive training budgets, could potentially be persuaded by someone who turns up in person, with a good attitude and all the bog-standard kit (boots, hi-viz, gloves, DL, DQC and tacho card). And who has made a modicum of effort on their own behalf to learn the basics of drivers hours and walkaround checks and load security (all free to access from home on gov.uk or DVSA’s YT channel).

As it happens, my latest client is doing just that, he’s taking a newbie he has encountered, without bad habits and will train him up so that he doesn’t lose the operator his newly obtained O-licence, which has cost him quite a bit of time and money.

There’s no logical reason for him to accept a bad-attitude newbie who has bought into the media propaganda about “the driver shortage”, expecting £20 an hour, and guaranteed job stability in a Brexit-challenged marketplace, because they believe, on some level, that the world owes them a living just because they’ve passed a couple of tests.

I find your “explanations” fascinating.
Truly wonderful.

The literary and logical equivalent of Salvador Dali’s best works.
Recognisable elements and ideas but bearing no relation to reality, and often irrelevant to context.

Since the last Q of 2019 was the last Q we were in the EU that is clearly a good point to choose.
Who would choose a Q when 2/3rds of that Q we were outside the EU?
Well, obviously you did!
We are comparing trade inside and trade outside of the EU.

A decrease in overall trade and you think all is good?
If I earn £2000 and spend £2000 one month. I am OK.
If next month I earn £500 and spend £490 I am indeed £10 better off in the bank.
Am I in a better situation though?

Really? No.
Again and again, the same old straw man nonsense.

We shot ourselves in the foot, but because we didn’t die, we must be doing good?
Insanity.

I struggle to beleive someone on duty at a village polling station doesn’t know who Boris is, makes him go home and get his ID.

Seems really petty, making him stick to the rules over some technicality, he used to be the PM for goodness sake.

Oh no, now you’ve done it.