Political discussions...

It aint a Top Trumps competition Frangers.:roll_eyes:
You dont HAVE to post some kind of retaliatory post, illustrating yet another negative aspect about the Tories,.we all get it !.
(I can almost hear you saying ‘na na na na na’ with your thumbs in your ears waving your hands.:smiley:)

I’ve already told you,…They are all basically the same,.wearing different colours, but all much of a muchness.
The main reason I wont be voting for any of the ■■■■ s this time.

So…you are allowed to show videos of ex Labour members doing silly things but as soon as anyone shows a Tory doing the same, it is somehow wrong?
You wanna play videos, I’ll play videos.

You wanna discuss facts?
Obviously not.

Here is a short video for everyone.
It serves two purposes, to show the Cons doing what cons do, and as a heads-up about data gathering generally.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HGelx3GjTnE

Ffs man :joy:
Is this all you do all day in your retirement sit on here prompting and looking for arguments? :roll_eyes:

Calm tf down, post what you want, nobody actually cares.

I’m just pointing out it aint some sort of Tory v Labour top trumps comp, where you are standing in the Labour corner ‘keeping your end up’ .
Especially when the guy you are trying to maintain an argument with (namely me) has clearly stated that at this present time he has no particular alliegance nor prefernce for any of the present pi55 poor parties, as they come across as basically the same (or similar) crap, but different colours.
I have CONTINUOUSLY asked you to point out why I should turn to Labour, but all I get is the usual tedious Tory bashing.
I was just redressing the balance by ponting out your beloved Labour Party also has it’s share of ineptutude and incompetence, maybe to redress the balance from a NEUTRAL’S pov.

Very calm thank you.

Strange? There is this bloke keeps asking me about stuff

:grinning:

Interesting philosophical point there. Can I show that Labour or anyone else is better then the Tories, without showing that the Tories are worse than the alternatives?
Difficult.
I mean I know you get all hurt every time I do show that, and I want you to keep calm too, I am quite caring, so please how can I do that but not upset you feelings?

I will try.

If you want to talk facts? What of the graph above about police numbers.
It shows how well Labour did in the past.
Tory …15,000 extra coppers in 17 years
Labour…22,000 in 13 years.
Tory… 4,000 coppers in 14 years.

Nope, try as I might, I do not feel neutral about that.
I feel that Labour did better.

You put that video up after a discussion about police numbers.
You asked the question about credibility of Labour promises.
Never mind the promises look at the actual performances of different parties.
All parties have inept members, and even good members do/say dumb things. sometimes. True.

But I maintain that the Tories especially the current bunch are far worse than other parties, including the Tory party of twenty years ago.

“To redress the balance”, are you going to put up videos of Abbott giving the 5 other interviews she did live on the morning she messed up the other one? The ones she did right?

you mean the ones that apparently she either admitted she didn’t know what it would cost or didn’t give any figures.

the fact remains she was ill prepared for that interview either because they hadnt bothered to work it out or she forgot. When the gent interviewing her gave her a second chance she didnt say oh sorry i miss spoke she ummed and ahhhred and then pulled the figure of 80 million out the air.

I thought you would pick Laura Trott, or has there been an embargo on bringing that up, for compassionate grounds?

Oh the irony!
Good link!

Yep we all make mistakes. Abbott messed up that interview badly. No denying it.

You know what Frangers, I only got half way through that post before I knocked it on the head.
You are getting bitter with age, you just cant help yourself.
The obligatory cheap immature jibes, the patronising, the attempted mild insults, the usial Franglaisisms they are all there…do you feel you come across in a good light?
Oh I forgot you dont care.

I imagine you as a Danny La Rue look lookalike (without the drag) a bitter old (drama) queen with a purple rinse, clutching at his famous pearls getting all of a fluster at people not readily sharing his views on Trucknet.:joy:
Enjoy rest of yer retirement.

1 Like

Well said.
I remember listening live to that, and I do think that the interviewer, Evan Davis, was really trying to understand what she was meaning.
It wasn’t a quick-fire “gotcha” type of interview.

Trott has since I think been very quiet. Not a mis-speak as such, a basic failure to understand.
The policy she was touting was all smoke and mirrors. Unfunded tax cuts a la Truss.

In Abbott’s case, and this will not go down well with most here, she did mess up the interview, but Labour’s numbers were sound.

Of course we could mention, not misspeaking, but very well spoken deliberate lies, from Johnson, bit unfortunately others here clutch at their pearls and get all upset.
They just can’t keep calm.

dare i ask for the 10th time what he lied about that isn’t media manipulation or lack of common sense. nope cant be bothered of another 48 hours of unfounded Boris bashing and at the end of it still misquoting stats and what was said.

Trying to unpack that?
Are you saying that Johnson has never lied?

No. All I’m arguing about here is why the polls seem to suggest that Starmer is enough ahead that he seems to have scooped the vast majority of Ex-Tory voters, including the most of them that surely have got to be Brexiteers, myself included?

If the Labour vote goes with serve - Starmer will keep all the seats he currently holds, not lose any further, but not add many enough to win a majority neither.
If the Tory vote gets split between Conservative and Reform UK, then either the Tory will keep their seat, RUK wins that seat OR the third likelyhood - the Libdem (second last time) picks it up on a lower winning vote total than before in 2019.

The Labour vote for this assumption - remains the same, with them in third, or lower place in the 2019 election - behind Tory incumbent, and Libdem in second.

SO…
If all “goes with serve” - I just don’t see where Labour get to win a full majority of some size FROM…

Every seat RUK DON’T win - is a seat the Tory previous incumbent will likely keep. Labour didn’t have it before, and they don’t win it in the near future neither.
What seats might Labour incumbent lose to RUK? - I’m assuming NONE here.
What seats might Libdem incumbent lose to RUK? - I’m assuming NONE here.
Let’s say the Tories go down by 126 seats (what some polls are suggesting)
but instead of those same polls who argue that Labour win 120, and Libdems 6 of those lost tory seats…
Isn’t it more realistic that the Tories DO lose 126 seats, but 60 of them go to Labour, 60 go to RUK, and 6 go to the Libdems…

If everything else then goes with serve, Keir Starmer’s Labour has the most seats, but falls short of a full majority.
RUK don’t get to be the opposition, as the Tories have more seats left than RUK do, so become the expected Opposition instead.

A more realistic result?

What are your thoughts…?

The polls, at least the YouGov one does not specify how expected Labour voters, cast in the referendum.
But some other surveys do look at that.

What is true though is that although just over 50% did vote for Brexit in 2016 it is no longer 50% in favour of it.
And as already pointed out for/against, Brexit is not important to most voters now.

Few people think of Brexit much, so those who left Labour in 2019, purely for a Brexit vote, and now returning to Labour.
They “lent their votes to the Tories” and are now returning them to Labour.

Apart from a blip in 2016, the UK does not like Brexit

i think that’s not entirely right if it was then im not sure labor could count on them coming back. according to the remain camp it was all about immigration and migration something that labor have no interest in sorting out and think the way forward to a lot of their policies is importing labor

I don’t expect that those most concerned about immigration are very happy with the present gov.
They may well not be tempted by Labour but may stay with Tories, go to RUK Ltd or stay at home.

Immigration seems to be much more important to voters than Brexit itself now, true enough.
As previously shown
The most important issues facing the country

…It’s a deep state plot to try and bluff would-be RUK voters who’ll be told “Don’t waste your vote bothering with RUK”.

One can speculate all day over how people MAY have changed their opinions with regards to RUK, Brexit, etc.
…BUT we’ve been told to accept 100% that NO Labour voter will Switch, and SOME Brexiteers no longer support Brexit and ALL Tory voters defecting are safely in the bag for Keir Starmer’s Labour, 100% more electable than Corbyn’s version…

That’s a LOT of assumptions there, most of them based on fear and lies…

Cost of Living - is the most important issue right now, and yet with everything going on with “Foreign Policy” being an absolute disaster
…We have NO incumbent parties in Parliament that say “Maybe this Russia/China hate thing - might be a smokescreen for something else more sinister…”

franglais
8 April |

• | - |

winseer:

All I’m arguing about here is why the polls seem to suggest that Starmer is enough ahead that he seems to have scooped the vast majority of Ex-Tory voters, including the most of them that surely have got to be Brexiteers, myself included?

The polls, at least the YouGov one does not specify how expected Labour voters, cast in the referendum.
But some other surveys do look at that.

What is true though is that although just over 50% did vote for Brexit in 2016 it is no longer 50% in favour of it.
And as already pointed out for/against, Brexit is not important to most voters now.

Few people think of Brexit much, so those who left Labour in 2019, purely for a Brexit vote, and now returning to Labour.
They “lent their votes to the Tories” and are now returning them to Labour.

Apart from a blip in 2016, the UK does not like Brexit

Statista

Brexit poll 2024 | Statista

The share of people who regret Brexit has increased since the UK left the EU. Recent polls show a growing majority think it was the wrong decision.

Curses, foiled again!

R4 Today programme this morning (8th April) featured Reform UKs leader Richard Tice

Marvellous performance! I may dust off my Hans Landa SS Standartenführer uniform and vote for them very publically after informing the local rag, and whilst enquiring loudly if there are any Jews around :rofl:

nice dodge on the migration issue.

the trouble with immigration is that there was a lot that went unreported due to the mass migration it was easier to get into the country the people smugglers only had to get them into europe and provide papers that they were european or even get them into italy whose immigration laws stated they could work their for a year during which time they can get their own false papers or marry etc etc.

The black boat issue is now more in the forefront as it is one of the only ways to enter the country illegally. France has never givern a darn about immigrants they just dont want them in their country so are quite happy to help them carry the boat down to the shore metaphorically speaking.

not being up on maritime law im unsure exactly where the british waters start and what is the duty of the british navy/coast guard re salvage and rescue. Personally i think we should do what the Australians do with the Indonesian fishing boats