Photos Older than 10 years

Correct Dave,never drove a tipper so get thesen over here and I’ll hi-jack a Cemex DAF and you can show me the ropes.I notice that most over here have the easy sheet thingy,don’t drivers go on backs of wagons now,is it all done from the cab.You’ll be telling me now that they have auto tailgate release as well,now when I were a lad… :laughing:

Hiya i’ve just slid of track a little with this one,It is over 10 years old and a Ford. It just shows theres plenty still hideing that come out now and then.
This little gem is on E bay at the moment the mileage is 200 from new. £ 50 000 is the asking price.

John

Chris Webb:
Correct Dave,never drove a tipper so get thesen over here and I’ll hi-jack a Cemex DAF and you can show me the ropes.I notice that most over here have the easy sheet thingy,don’t drivers go on backs of wagons now,is it all done from the cab.You’ll be telling me now that they have auto tailgate release as well,now when I were a lad… :laughing:

Hi Chris,
Missed this post of yours until today.Drivers aren’t allowed to get up onto the back of a tipper in the quarries anymore,due to health and safety,they have to have easy sheets,also the quarries have raised platforms where the driver can stand on level with the bed of the lorry,they can’t get out of the lorry at some weighbridges,the clerk is in a raised wendy house where you pull alongside on the bridge and speak to him through his hatch and get handed your ticket.A lot have electric easy sheets,some have automatic tailboards. A very different day and age,might be safer,but certainly worse in other ways.Apologies for the pic being newer than ten years old,this is the Gore weighbridge. :frowning: :laughing:
Cheers Dave.

Dave the Renegade:

Chris Webb:

Hi Chris,
Missed this post of yours until today.Drivers aren’t allowed to get up onto the back of a tipper in the quarries anymore,due to health and safety,they have to have easy sheets,also the quarries have raised platforms where the driver can stand on level with the bed of the lorry,they can’t get out of the lorry at some weighbridges,the clerk is in a raised wendy house where you pull alongside on the bridge and speak to him through his hatch and get handed your ticket.A lot have electric easy sheets,some have automatic tailboards. A very different day and age,might be safer,but certainly worse in other ways.Apologies for the pic being newer than ten years old,this is the Gore weighbridge. :frowning: :laughing:
Cheers Dave.

Things have certainly moved on then Dave.Tanker drivers delivering petrol/derv don’t use dipsticks,don’t go on top of their vehicles.Those that do have safety fence type thingy to hang on to -not a bad thing as it was so easy to fall off the top of a tank.
That Scania on Gore weighbridge - looks like a 6-legger? Just looking at the “Scania 340” on the back end - thats nearly as much as two 180 Gardners or a straight eight Gardner and a half.
Things certainly have moved on.
:astonished:

Chris Webb:

Dave the Renegade:

Chris Webb:

Hi Chris,
Cheers Dave.

Things have certainly moved on then Dave.Tanker drivers delivering petrol/derv don’t use dipsticks,don’t go on top of their vehicles.Those that do have safety fence type thingy to hang on to -not a bad thing as it was so easy to fall off the top of a tank.
That Scania on Gore weighbridge - looks like a 6-legger? Just looking at the “Scania 340” on the back end - thats nearly as much as two 180 Gardners or a straight eight Gardner and a half.
Things certainly have moved on.
:astonished:

Hi Chris,
My mate Paul Tyler drives that Scania,he also drives a four wheeler Scania which has a five cylinder 310 bhp engine,the same as jonmea has.Ivor Duggan runs three Foden six wheelers with Cat 400 bhp engines and Paul Griffiths did have a Foden six wheeler with a 450 bhp Cat engine,now run by Peter Radford from Craven Arms. As you say 180 was the norm years ago in artics,now a 420 is considered underpowered,totally different world,but with all the power they are expected to earn more and have more regs to put up with. I know which I’d prefer. :laughing:
Cheers Dave.

I know this is only a cutting from an old magazine,but my dad used to drive it .The company was godfreys transport from newark on trent.
He reguarly traveled to london docks to collect meat and i used to go with him.

Here is a photo of one of his old bedfords taken at the docks.

Here is one i used to drive,pulled like a train but needed a football pitch to stop.

Hi Nigel, can you tell me if you knew johnny i think he worked there at one time Cheers Mel

Billy Ball bags ball bearing factory Bilston Birmingham

Driver

Johnny Wan-kbrake

One cold winter morning, Johnny Wan-kbrake set of with another load of Billy Ball Bags ball bearings from Bilston Birmingham heading for the Smoke travelling down the M6 the old Scammell he was driving began black smoking, as he past Watford Gap the police car parked on the services saw the smoke, so they thought they would give him a pull, after giving the hard working Johnny Wan-kbrake a good dressing down for driving a truck black smoking the police man said I’m going to give you a ticket,
He took out his note book & said what is your name, Johnny replied Johnny Wan-kbrake the police man said I can’t put that in my note book who do you work for, Johnny replied Billy Ball Bags Ball Bearing Factory Bilston Birmingham, the police man said yer avin me on, no said Johnny its true, the police man replied I can’t put that in my note book my boss would go barmy, I’m going to let you off but get that wagon fixed.

Johnny set off on his journey got down as far as Toddington services the police car parked on the services saw the smoke, so they thought they would give him a pull, after giving the hard working Johnny Wan-kbrake a good dressing down for driving a truck black smoking the police man said I’m going to give you a ticket,
He took out his note book & said what is your name, Johnny replied Johnny Wan-kbrake the police man said I can’t put that in my note book who do you work for, Johnny replied Billy Ball Bags Ball Bearing Factory Bilston Birmingham, the police man said yer avin me on, no said Johnny its true, the police man replied I can’t put that in my note book my boss would go barmy, I’m going to let you off but get that wagon fixed.

Lunch time at the Blue Boar services the two police men meet up for lunch, as they were talking one said I pulled a black smoker up this morning you’ll never guess what they called the driver, the other police man replied Johnny Wan-kbrake & he works for Billy Ball Bags ball bearing factory Bilston Birmingham, the first police man said he’s made fools of us, no he isn’t said the second police man get the phone book, they looked up Billy Ball Bags ball bearing factory Bilston Birmingham so they rang the number, The receptionist answered good morning Billy Ball Bags ball bearing Factory Bilston Birmingham can I help you, Yes said the police man can you put me through to personnel, personnel officer answers the phone good morning can I help you, the police man says do you have a Wan-kbrake there & the personnel officer replies we don’t even have time for a FCU.KING TEA BRAKE never mind a Wan-kbrake

:laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

Good 'un Mel.

This driver used to come home and all he could talk about was work - what wagon he’d driven,where he’d been,how many drops and who he rang for a backload.His wife was getting more and more p***** off with this going on and one night she said “I’ve had enough of you and your sodding lorry and your endless ramblings every night so I’m leaving you”.So when he comes home at night he’s got his dinner to get ready and his snap to get ready for next day,and it was ok for a bit but after a while it was getting to be a bind,until one night there was knock on the door and who should be standing there but his missus.“I want to come back,will you have me”? she asked.So he thinks about it and dwells a bit on it and finally agrees.“One thing” she says “Do you promise not to talk about work any more”? to which he agreed.So in she comes and when she takes her coat off he notices she’s pregnant and knew for a fact it wasn’t his.He goes in t’kitchen,gets his case and snap for next day and as he’s going out of the door says:-

“Give me a ring when thas tipped”.

Sorry :grimacing:

One for Chris, can’t you just smell the air

Do you feel homesick now Chris :grimacing: :grimacing:

Ray

flishflunk:
One for Chris, can’t you just smell the air

Do you feel homesick now Chris :grimacing: :grimacing:

Ray

Nice photo Ray,Sheffield air always smelt good,me being a dee-dah :laughing:

Aye,I feel as though I want to go back to me roots Ray but our lass won’t let me. :laughing:
My first load as a civvie driver in 1968 was out of Firth Browns,gate 131 or summat,I had to be in the rolling mill shop at 0400 and load a 12 ton steel roll for Brazil via Gladstone - I think it was Gladstone dock - Liverpool.My first initiation into dock work was easy,I left about 0500 and got in the queue at Liverpool about 0900 or 1000,it was a long way from Sheffield to L’pool in them days in a Reiver.The BRS night shunter in Firth Browns gave me a map on a ■■■ packet.I had only been there about an hour and was tipped with one of them Iron Fairies,got me notes and gate pass and away to Widnes Foundry for a load back to Sheffield.I met up with another of our drivers in there who “instructed” me to park on the Dog and Partridge pub park on Woodhead and he would pick me up and give me a lift home,a Liverpool or Birkenhead docks tip and a return load was a night out irrespective of how long it took. :smiley:
So my first trip out in civvie street ended up with a dodgy - can’t be bad.
Homesick now. :grimacing:

chris, you never sent me your jacket

diesel dan:

hi, howabout this old beast :exclamation: dont know much about it ,other that it belonged to a chap from wellingborough. pict taken late 70s parked outside my house.

bloody hell i use to go work in this truck when i was about 10 years old…!! it belonged to Dell Walters, its now for sale at Bythorn.

Bet this is known by a few on here

Hiya Chris,
A dodgy on the first trip :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: set you up for life I reckon.
Can’t remember which was my first dodgy, but I do remember not sleeping a wink worrying about wether the motor would still be there the following morning and what excuse I could give :blush: :blush:
Hope when you parked on the Dog you left your 10 bob in the box :unamused: :unamused:

Ray

heres one of my grandads old ones is is one here else where

flishflunk:
Bet this is known by a few on here

Hiya Chris,
A dodgy on the first trip :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: set you up for life I reckon.
Can’t remember which was my first dodgy, but I do remember not sleeping a wink worrying about wether the motor would still be there the following morning and what excuse I could give :blush: :blush:
Hope when you parked on the Dog you left your 10 bob in the box :unamused: :unamused:

Ray

:laughing:
Been in there a time or two Ray,copper and zinc ingots for Sheffield/Worksop and no stopping on way home :laughing: .
I think it was a shilling to park on t’Dog in those days and it went up in '71 with decimalisation. :frowning:
I remember one of Castrols from Hyde parked on there and was booked off somewhere else and he had a flat battery.I was parked next to him and I got a lift back with one of our drivers going to Man Airport in his car,luckily he had some jump leads and we got him going - did he breath a sigh of relief!
The landlord used to threaten the local ministry man with his alsatian if he dared to go on there taking wagon reg numbers,he tried it once that’s all.
One of our lads on Evans dropped his tank on some spare land at Hyde and whizzed back to Sheffield :open_mouth: one night only to find next morning the front of the tank down an old cellar - the daft sod was loaded with white spirit for ICI Paints just up the road and could have left it in there - I did that once or twice and left the motor at Hollingworth - that way you caught the traffic from Stockport as well as Stalybridge and Manchester.
Things yer did… :grimacing:

diesel dan:

my mates pete its an early 70s truck but had just been fitted with a new 475 bhp detroit two stroke engine.(1990) this truck ran at 100 mph with ease.stopping though was another story, no brakes fitted on front axle.

But ‘some’ on here would have fitted it with a Gardner 8LXB because according to their version of history yank trucks fitted with those real motors did’nt run at 100 mph + :open_mouth: :unamused: :laughing: .But if they’d fitted brakes on the front axle it would have jacknifed stopping from those speeds which is why they did’nt fit them.

Carryfast:

diesel dan:

my mates pete its an early 70s truck but had just been fitted with a new 475 bhp detroit two stroke engine.(1990) this truck ran at 100 mph with ease.stopping though was another story, no brakes fitted on front axle.

But ‘some’ on here would have fitted it with a Gardner 8LXB because according to their version of history yank trucks fitted with those real motors did’nt run at 100 mph + :open_mouth: :unamused: :laughing: .But if they’d fitted brakes on the front axle it would have jacknifed stopping from those speeds which is why they did’nt fit them.

Hiya Carryfast! Have you been let out for Easter for good behavior ? Still peddaling the same old B******s about Gardners I see, so the therapy isn’t working then !!!Seeing as it is Easter I will call a truce! I don’t know if you take “Heritage Commercials” but if you do you may have read pages 30/31 and there is two write ups about your favourite engines( good ones as-well I have to admitt !) But if you only look at the pictures you must take it back in with you when the blokes in white coats come to for you next week and then get nursey to read it to you at Bo Bo time !!! All the best Bewick.

hi , by the time you got a gardner started there in the winter you could be in the next state with a detroit diesel. :laughing: by the way detroit two strokes are known as yamaha,s in the states :exclamation:
cheers diesel