Photos Older than 10 years

OOPS this is a Dimond T

John

John, Did the Waters Atki start life as a unit, then had the fifth wheel removed and flat body put on ?

Yes Woody R With a block of concrete on like that makes it a tow motor (recovery) MOT excempt.
I’ve got a AEC MK5 to look at, These always do something for me I used to drive them at Adams Butter Years ago

John

John, That is a very nice old Mandator, they were a very good motor could pull a house down.

3300John:
Yes Woody R With a block of concrete on like that makes it a tow motor (recovery) MOT excempt.
I’ve got a AEC MK5 to look at, These always do something for me I used to drive them at Adams Butter Years ago

John

That’s a great MK5 Mandator,they were a good tool back in the 60s and 70s.No sign of the twin headlight MK5 yet John? :slight_smile:

nice little four wheeler seen at a rally many years ago

And a AEC rotting away in Cypres

This DAF is also in Cypres

John

3300John:
nice little four wheeler seen at a rally many years ago

John

This Cub was new to Charles Alexander, apparently. I carried it down to Lands End for a LEJOG charity run in 1987, when it was owned by Neville Birtwistle of Colne. After that, he added a bit on top of the headboard referring to Land’s End-John O’ Groats, so perhaps your photo pre-dates that trip.

Hi all,
First pic, a little over 10 years old, about 1962. Medads new TK, after about 10 years with a Bedford OSS. First lorry he ever drove with a heater (and wipers that worked :sunglasses: :sunglasses: )

Next three from steam fairs from the 1980s

Finally, I took this one about 1983, it was still in daily use. Tacho fitted. I think it was owned by Brightside Steel, but I’m not to sure.
Maybe Chris can help with this one.

Ray

Not sure about the Brightside Engineering Bedford Ray,although they certainly ran their own transport in the 60s.She will have seen some service if still going in 1983 and fancy having a tacho in one of them :smiley: I’m sure Firth Browns ran something similar on internal work
And another blast from the past - Helsby and Longden,used to see them in Shell Stanlow regular,have they pulled t’pin?

Not sure about the Brightside Engineering Bedford Ray,although they certainly ran their own transport in the 60s.She will have seen some service if still going in 1983 and fancy having a tacho in one of them :smiley: I’m sure Firth Browns ran something similar on internal work
And another blast from the past - Helsby and Longden,used to see them in Shell Stanlow regular,have they pulled t’pin?

Sorry duplicate post :unamused:

The Thames ET6 ‘Costcutter’ was restored from a rotten hulk by Roy Scott, who then ran it as a working motor for the family business - delivering cup drinks to wholesalers and cash & carries across the North West.

He did an article about it which I edited for a club periodical some years ago, which included some pictures of it loaded with pallets of soft drinks. A nice motor which worked for a living in it’s second life.

Chris Webb:

Chris Simon Longden is a good friend of mine, last I knew they were running Volvos in a creamy beige coloured livery, when I saw the
picture on here I was going to ask if I could download it and email to SImon I’m sure he would be interested. Simon and I have a mutual
interest in Thornycroft lorries, if you remember Helsby & Longden ran a large fleet of them. I took over as Chairman of The Thornycroft Register
from Simon who is now vice chairman, I will see if he has any pictures and history on the company. Regards Big Al

Chris Webb:

Helsby Longden have a stack of tackle. As you go over that Weaver viaduct (M56) traveling towards Wales look to the left and you can see there trailers parked at the side of the Weaver.They are ■■■■■■■ with a pallet line type company on some of there work.I have a mate who has one of their 1960ish Thornyecroft tractor unit still in HL livery. Hiya Chris I’am working in Stanlow JAN/FEB/ MAR next year then retiring yet again till summer reliff.
John.

If you are working out of Shell Chemicals take plenty of snap with you John - unless it’s altered since the 70s :laughing:

3300John:

Chris Webb:

Helsby Longden have a stack of tackle. As you go over that Weaver viaduct (M56) traveling towards Wales look to the left and you can see there trailers parked at the side of the Weaver.They are ■■■■■■■ with a pallet line type company on some of there work.I have a mate who has one of their 1960ish Thornyecroft tractor unit still in HL livery. Hiya Chris I’am working in Stanlow JAN/FEB/ MAR next year then retiring yet again till summer reliff.
John.

Hi John after seeing the photo I rang Simon Longden, as I was speaking to him your email came up ref The 1960ish Thornycroft (nb spelling :smiley: :smiley: :smiley: :smiley: ) important
if you are a Thornycroft buff. Any way I digress, I read out your email and he got quite excited, any chance you cuold email me details of the unit so we can record it
in The Thornycroft Register. ANy pictures John ? regards Big Al

3300John:
Oops i got that wrong.Next time i must look at the preveiw.

You’ll know where 3300john comes from now
John

Hello 3300john, I remember that lorry it belonged to a guy called Lucas from Limmasol, it was tucked in his yard & that old trailer was parked up the street as you went down to his place. I did a weeks work for Lucas years ago moving cable drums from Limmasol to Nicosia, he was a real character & it was a great way to see the island.

Regards

Fly sheet

Hi ya Flysheet it Is nice to know someone who knows Lucas he’s really nice chap. The chap who is standing on the trailer was going to buy the trailer but nothing happened.
I don’t no if you have seen the Scammell it is now in the uk. The trailer is here but they are not one peice anymore.I have not been to Cypres for about 3 years so have not spoken to Lucas for a while.I was going to buy that AEC Mamoth Minor unit of him but we never paired it up with anything to bring back.
John.

Ehoop Chris, fancy a bit of long distance on your Isle with this :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

Ray

flishflunk:
Ehoop Chris, fancy a bit of long distance on your Isle with this :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

Ray

:laughing:

She’s a nice old ERF Ray,not many pictures of old IOM lorries.Plenty of bus,ship and rail photos though.I’ve asked different people if they know where there are some old wagon photos but drawn a blank up to now.We have gone upmarket now - IOM Department of Transport. :smiley:
Thanks for posting it,if you have any more I’d like to see them.
This company is still operating over here,Edmundsons from Preston.They have been here for years.

Chris Webb:

flishflunk:

Ray

:laughing:

She’s a nice old ERF Ray,not many pictures of old IOM lorries.Plenty of bus,ship and rail photos though.I’ve asked different people if they know where there are some old wagon photos but drawn a blank up to now.We have gone upmarket now - IOM Department of Transport. :smiley:
Thanks for posting it,if you have any more I’d like to see them.
This company is still operating over here,Edmundsons from Preston.They have been here for years.

Hi Chris,
Seem to recall you saying you hadn’t done tippers,if you require a bit of training,it could be arranged. :unamused: :laughing: :laughing:
Cheers Dave.