Photos Older than 10 years

Big Al at least 30 years ago sitting on the step of Reo 6x6 Bowser Ex Turriff Pipelines sporting Nacap Pipelines livery. In 1978 we were constructing pipelines linking many of the USAF bases in and around Norfolk. At this time during the Cold War RAF Victor tanker refueling planes were helping keep the USAF SAC planes in the air 24/7 We did one from Massingham to RAF Skullthorpe and another one from Massingham along Peddars Way to Thetford. We went home for the Christmas break and the fitters forgot to put anti freeze in the old Reo, when I came back on the 6th January the old girl was frozen solid. When I lifted the bonnet the core plugs had popped out and were held in place about 6 inch from the engine on ice poles. I set a couple of gas torches alight under the lorry, when she had thawed out we picked up the core plugs and tapped them back into the engine casting topped her up with water and away she went. regards Big Al

I don’t no if this would be much use when it was built. Trucks seemed to get home. But now if a side light goes out you have to be towed in and put on a computer. I think this truck might be still in one peice. I seem to think it was used in the Mersey tunnel. Most of the Govenment owned vehicals
got put into storage at the end of there working life. In Liverpool they have a large collection of ex Police/Fire/and Ambulence vehicals from 1900 to present. All locked away. But a musium was to open for the 2008 city of culture. That didn’t happen did it.
The ERF was built with many unwanted parts lying around the works. But looks quite capable of doing a good job.
John

Oops done it again

john

This is one of a order of 50 ERF and bulk trailers orderd by the Jordon phosfrious company A second order followed.
Its a pity this was not a standard cab for the UK market

John

Another Turriff Pipelines lorry this International was driven by Brian West in the early 70’s

The Top photo of Bob Wilsons Atkinson Viewline is at Redditch Carnival 1980. The load is the Orbiter ride.

a fine foden three way tipper

here,s another golden oldie, same company as eales foden

i used to work on this, about 1962/3

another of whitworths fleet,this tk had the bedford 300 engine ,so you can imagine how went with about ten tons on it

this is the worst lorry i have ever driven,top speed was 30 mph, 0 to 20 mph some time today :laughing: it took me nine hours to go from wellingborough to warrington.it was a good crane though.the old humber army truck behind the aec was used for straight tow jobs.

my mates pete its an early 70s truck but had just been fitted with a new 475 bhp detroit two stroke engine.(1990) this truck ran at 100 mph with ease.stopping though was another story, no brakes fitted on front axle.

Working on a gas pipeline crossing the Sahara desert in 1980, Big Al pictured 30 years younger and a hell of a lot slimmer :smiley: :smiley: regards Big Al

sammyopisite:

nick2008:
Heres one for you :smiley:
It’s in Redruth Cornwall… I’d have to pull it out the box to get the date

I had a sister wagon to this one when new I am sure that EMD515J was based at Pickford’s Ipswich and EMD518J which I drove was based at Sheffield

This is 766CLN which EMD518J replaced and only had vacuum brakes (three pumps and then prey)

Yes sammy it was indeed an ex Picky motor how funny that you had the sister waggon what are the chances of that eh :open_mouth:

diesel dan:

another of whitworths fleet,this tk had the bedford 300 engine ,so you can imagine how went with about ten tons on it

Hi Dan,
The first TK that I drove,at 21 only had the 300 engine,a very tired one at that,it carried just under 10 tons,running at 14 ton gross,it was a big improvement moving onto a TK with a 330 later.
Cheers Dave.

This Dodge with a perkins 6.354 didn’t go much better. Excuse the poor pic.

my dad,s lorry,1947.used to do c&d around london.

Big Al in tatty jeans (spilt battery acid on them) pictured Algeria North Africa 1980

Maybe 240 Gardner can throw some light on these two Atkinsons reg numbers 1029 HK & 291 HK (Hampshire ? ) They were in a pile of Atkinson works factory pictures (Chris ? )

regards Big Al

Hi Al.
HK was Essex in them days,now it’s Chelmsford I think.Two nice B and W pictures :sunglasses: .