Photos Older than 10 years

they will do over 100mph carryfast tso14612 overdrive gearbox rockwell R180 3.08 rear axle topspeed 115mph but to get there quick you need torque which your DD dont have!!!tryed your DDs but needed auto boxes cos of lack of torque

yappie:
they will do over 100mph carryfast tso14612 overdrive gearbox rockwell R180 3.08 rear axle topspeed 115mph but to get there quick you need torque which your DD dont have!!!tryed your DDs but needed auto boxes cos of lack of torque

:question: :question: :question: You mean that around 100 lbs/ft per litre without turbocharging is’nt enough??.And it’s their torque output which actually made them the natural choice to fit with that diabolical Allison auto because it’s one of the only,if not the only, engines which had enough power and torque output to still have something left to drive the wheels with after all the losses through that crap box :open_mouth: :laughing: .The fact is that it takes a more powerful engine to run with a crap auto box than a less powerful one which is why the yanks fitted their fire engines with Detroit two strokes although I would have trained the drivers to use a decent manual and then they’d have got to the fire even faster and you’ve obviously never tried a 16V71 because if you had you would’nt have complained about lack of torque more like more than enough of it but if 1732 lbs/ft at 1200 rpm is’nt enough for you you could always then fit it with a turbocharger or two :open_mouth: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

Carryfast we don’t seem to have seen any photo’s of you with any of these DD Bedfords you used to drive here in the UK.

Isn’t this supposed to be a Photo thread instead of pointless waffle about which engine is better than another, get back to the original subject.

3300John:
Carryfast we don’t seem to have seen any photo’s of you with any of these DD Bedfords you used to drive here in the UK.

Sorry John but if I’d had them I would have posted them.I did’nt get any photos of any of the wagons which I’ve worked with over the years as it was just a case of being too busy to bother with getting any photos of myself at work during the working day/night and being more interested in knocking off at the end of the day/night with some time in hand for the commute home and it was just a job at the time.As for the TM or any of the Detroit powered wagons which I was involved with I was only driving those for a matter of months on a regular basis having started with the firm at 16 and being made redundant during it’s winding down and closure a few months after getting my class 2 licence at 21 and the TM was only a chassis which we built fire engines on in very small numbers far less than the much bigger aircraft type trucks.The fact that the TM and all the Detroit powered trucks made such an impression on me during that relatively short period I spent around them shows how good they were.However with hindsight the fact that I did’nt spend some time taking some photos of the type of wagons I’ve worked with over the years is something I regret now.I’ve posted this one of the type of wagons I’m talking about a few times and sadly I’m not aware of any of the drivers who I worked with at the factory taking any photos of ourselves with one of these or a TM.

www.fire-engine-photos.com/picture/number4345.asp

Now then lets this back on track. This was taken at sony Ville de Calles Spain.

thehood:
Now then lets this back on track. This was taken at sony Ville de Calles Spain.

That’s more like it. :wink: :laughing: :laughing:

Anyone remember this scania of Craig Potters, these pics were taken at birds eye GT Yarmouth

Remember when there was more of these than TKs :laughing: :laughing:
Did every Bakery have a fleet of them?

Remember when there was more of these than anything else :slight_smile: :slight_smile:

Ray

Bewick:

sammyopisite:

Carryfast:

kr79:
THE PETE LOOKS NICE in a smokey and the bandit way but give me a scania 140 or 141 any day as no matter what you say you cant beat a scania v8

Unless it’s a two stroke detroit V8 or V12 which is why the Pete could run at 100 mph + but a 140 or a 141 probably can’t although I’ve never driven one but if they could then I’m sure that the paddys would have been running them at that speed in the 1980’s :open_mouth: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

It would not be possible to run for very long at those speeds as the tyres were not capable of with standing those speeds as a 290 F88 was very fast and you had to be careful to look after your tyres in your comment on the twin splitter gearbox the fuller road ranger was out over 20 years before the twin splitter was introduced and you needed to look at plate to see which way it was installed as they had at least 6 different shift patterns

Sam if you understood Carryfast you would realise that when he is banged up in the rubber room with his “gear stick” in his hand he can go at what ever speed he likes !! Bewick.

It looks as though the Bewick & Carryfast Show has resurrected itself!!!.great times ahead?

David :laughing:

Hiya …i can’nt remember where i’ve put a photo at the moment but its a scene of Stoke goods yard and i think you an count 40+
of the Scammell scarabs and some ford four wheelers
John

flishflunk:
Remember when there was more of these than TKs :laughing: :laughing:
Did every Bakery have a fleet of them?

They seemed to be split into two types - standard van as in the picture or Luton/walk-through which a few bakeries had. Scotts at Litherland had some Lutons and their livery was much nicer than the ABF corporate Sunblest which followed

Was that picture taken at Sharrocks at Bredbury?

3300John:

3300John:
Heres My mates F88 The photo was taken this summer. This Volvo was supplied by Dawson freight to Aston Clinton Haulage. It was a three axle tractor when new. I would think someone will remember her. She then went to South Wales /Immingham/ Sheffield /Dover and now Staffordshire.
quote]Lets see if this works.
John

She used to be mine , it was a 6x2 when i bought her . When i got hold of her she was in a bad shape cab was pretty rotten . Also the engine let go on the m56 so i draged her in and ended up buying it in 1992 . we rebuilt the engine and spent lots of time on the cab . The lift axle was a add on that the company before me had fitted in stoke it was a poor conversion

3300John:

3300John:
Heres My mates F88 The photo was taken this summer. This Volvo was supplied by Dawson freight to Aston Clinton Haulage. It was a three axle tractor when new. I would think someone will remember her. She then went to South Wales /Immingham/ Sheffield /Dover and now Staffordshire.
John

She used to be mine , it was a 6x2 when i bought her . When i got hold of her she was in a bad shape cab was pretty rotten . Also the engine let go on the m56 so i draged her in and ended up buying it in 1992 . we rebuilt the engine and spent lots of time on the cab . The lift axle was a add on that the company before me had fitted in stoke it was a poor conversion

kings 260:

3300John:

3300John:
John

The engine let go again. I knew of a low mileage engine suplied by dawson to boyse transport that was for sale. we poped that in her so the engine is spot on now.the engine in her had a oversized head bolt. was that something you had done■■? What name was on the door when you had her ■■?
John

Taken at the old Desford Tubes plant,

is desford tubes not there anymore ■■

curnock:
is desford tubes not there anymore ■■

The whole site originaly was quarter of a mile long, but almost half of it now is flat,
Desford Tubes finished about 5yrs ago. Timken bought them out and moved production to america.
Crown Crest cash and carry are now in there at the mo.

if it keeps up there’ll be nowhere left to deliver !!!

3300John:

kings 260:

3300John:

3300John:
John

The engine let go again. I knew of a low mileage engine suplied by dawson to boyse transport that was for sale. we poped that in her so the engine is spot on now.the engine in her had a oversized head bolt. was that something you had done■■? What name was on the door when you had her ■■?
John

No John all the head bolts were defo the same size i rebuilt that engine again just before i sold her ,The idiot who was driving her put a big hole on the rad on a building site and boiled her . new pistons liners and heads redone ,big ends and mains . we then run it for another 6 to 12 months . I sold it to aguy in yorkshire then it went down to kent . Has it still got the blue head lining in the cab . THE name on the door was K&P dark blue cab with red yellow and blue stripes . Oh and ive just remembered it was Euro axles that fitted the granning lift on the back .