Pay per load and miles- Legal?

Hi

Could someone please tell me if it is legal to be paid per load and mileage?

My wage slip shows my amount of loads as hours worked. For example, 13 loads at 13hrs. Mileage is included in each ‘hour’ and not shown in pay slip but on a different run sheet i get.

Could someone tell me If employers are not allowed to pay their employees like this or if it is not legal and if there is any literature to back it up.

Many thanks in advance.

In the 20 or so years I was in car delivery and my friends still are it’s always been paid that way number of cars=loads, mileage =Hours. depending on what company you were with.

bigfoot:
Hi

Could someone please tell me if it is legal to be paid per load and mileage?

My wage slip shows my amount of loads as hours worked. For example, 13 loads at 13hrs. Mileage is included in each ‘hour’ and not shown in pay slip but on a different run sheet i get.

Could someone tell me If employers are not allowed to pay their employees like this or if it is not legal and if there is any literature to back it up.

Many thanks in advance.

As far as i know it is legal. Without checking back the regs say along the lines of you should not structure the wage so drivers are encouraged to break the law, or summat like that. BUt there’s still plenty of firm that pay bonus on tip and mileage so i’d think its ok. Unless of course the targets are genuinley un achievable.

Mike-C:
As far as i know it is legal. Without checking back the regs say along the lines of you should not structure the wage so drivers are encouraged to break the law, or summat like that. BUt there’s still plenty of firm that pay bonus on tip and mileage so i’d think its ok. Unless of course the targets are genuinley un achievable.

Yep it is legal ,basing pay on time is illegal i think as it encourages the driver to break the driving hours regs but not sure of the exact reg

found it ,but i suspect the interpretation is wide and varied :wink:

not make payments to drivers related to distances travelled and/or the amount of goods carried
if that would encourage breaches of the rules;

dft.gov.uk/vosa/repository/R … Europe.pdf

Well surely in the op’s case it is encouraging bent running, as obviously if your hourly paid(max 15hours) or on day rate theres no advantage to starting an hour early etc.

like its been said, if it encourages someone to break the rules then it’s illegal.
you could say that about any pay method.
hourly pay: work 20 hours per day. the extra hours could be paid in cash.
day rate: work longer monday to thursday, then work 2 hours friday for a full days pay.
trip money: the quicker you do the job, the sooner you’re on the next job. my prefered way to be paid. i can go at whatever pace i like. never a phone call from an annoying boss.

Anything other than straight hourly pay is likely to encourage the driver to do things they would not do if they were paid hourly but the gutless law makers got pressure from various Govts not to make it a hard rule

Most drivers are pretty sensible and do not break the laws if paid by mileage/load etc but they are always a few that will either for their own or the bosses benefit

I would ASSUME that any sort of payment in the UK must conform to minimum wage rules even on a very bad week

I’m always wary of any incentive bonus, or non-straightforward or complicated wage structure, because you can sure as hell guarantee it won’t have been devised for YOUR benefit, even if it has been explained to you that it has.

robroy:
I’m always wary of any incentive bonus, or non-straightforward or complicated wage structure, because you can sure as hell guarantee it won’t have been devised for YOUR benefit, even if it has been explained to you that it has.

I agree!

I thought it was outlawed years ago when tipper drivers were paid only on the loads they collected and tipped. On saying that , a lot of water has gone under the bridge, and times change, but i still believe that a company must show at least a minimum wage, plus a bonus or overtime etc on the wage slip,m or maybe an hourly rate.
I personally would not work for a company without telling me what my take home pay is likely to be, and especially on a so much per load basis, that means no holiday pay, for if you are not loading/tipping, theres no money to be earned…someone will enlighten me no doubt.

A lot of companys that run tippers pay a basic ■■■■ poor wage and you make it up by how many loads you do…if your not getting a basic wage they are breaking the law.

robroy:

Totally agree
I worked similler once where the boss decided we’d get milage bonus over so many miles ran.
It’s all very well if your doing Tilbury to Grangemouth and back but not up to much if your doing Hull docks to a customer in Hull 3 times a day.
Or if you end up at somewhere where your sat waiting to tip behind 20 others.
You can bet the haulier makes sure he gets his demurrage but you don’t get your milage bonus.

It was garbage for me as it was the same litle gang getting good work week after week so off I went to seek my pot of gold elsewhere.

Is this legal?
A Hell Driver tipper operator quite common in Wiltshire, Berkshire and Oxfordshire pay hired hauliers a day rate; This is reduced if haulier doesn’t do all the allocated loads. 40mph running not an option. Also not a company I’d ever work for.

The tippers in Ayrshire were paid by the load and a target set for each Opencast to Killoch,Knockshinnoch,
Ayr Harbour,Longgannet,etc.And in most cases they were pretty tight and the way they still keep them moving on I think they must still be paid by the load. Eddie.

I was paid on a load bonus or 27% earnings on tippers but did get a basic wage of £40 per day if there was no work. Some firms didn’t pay for holidays though, I didn’t get Bank Holday pay at first as I was told that the truck wasn’t earning but I sorted that out and it all worked ok. Never encouraged to break any rules though, you did what you could do in your time and that was that.

Pete.

Use to get paid an hourly rate, overtime rate, night out rate, and 1 hour for every load or delivery address, 2 hours for every border, and an hour for the docks to swap trailers (ferry work)
Preffered to deliver the “baumschule” (Garden Centres) in South Germany 5-6 drops on day could earn 15-16 hours a day.
The bad thing was if you had to load steel at Ned steel in Alblasserdam you had to open the trailer complete, but still got only one hour paid. (was all Tilt work).
However the tip in Lichtenstein gave you always a 20 SFR if you gave him a hand.
The hourly rate was not much better than now but you where able to make money.
Took more home than now, and was only 18 years old ( over 30+ years ago )

i pay per job. some lads make £200 to £300 per day. but they want to work for a living unlike some of the can’t do, won’t do people on here.

martyh:
found it ,but i suspect the interpretation is wide and varied :wink:

not make payments to drivers related to distances travelled and/or the amount of goods carried
if that would encourage breaches of the rules;

dft.gov.uk/vosa/repository/R … Europe.pdf

As far as I remember, the practice of paying drivers a percentage of vehicle earnings started in the 1960s and shortly became an issue with what was then the Ministry of Transport. This led to the regulation quoted above being introduced in an attempt to convince the population that “something was being done” to prevent road safety being compromised by fleets of “juggernauts” hurtling down the country’s roads killing and maiming the general population.
This, of course, had absolutely no effect on the dodgy wage structure as the employers simply issued an instruction to their drivers that they mustn’t breach the rules, therefore absolving them (the employers) from any responsibility.
Having worked under this wage system for many years, I found that it was impossible to confirm the amount of wages due, because the employer refused to inform the driver what the earnings of the vehicle were, saying that a) he was offended that I would think that he would pay me less than I was entitled to and b) I had the option to go and work elsewhere. I found it peculiar that, no matter how much work my vehicle had done, my weekly wage was nearly the same each week, except for the weeks when I had suffered a breakdown or severe delay, when the amount would drop considerably!
As far as I know, this system of payment is still in operation, particularly within the bulk tipper industry.

Retired Old ■■■■:
I found that it was impossible to confirm the amount of wages due, because the employer refused to inform the driver what the earnings of the vehicle were, saying that a) he was offended that I would think that he would pay me less than I was entitled to and b) I had the option to go and work elsewhere. I found it peculiar that, no matter how much work my vehicle had done, my weekly wage was nearly the same each week, except for the weeks when I had suffered a breakdown or severe delay, when the amount would drop considerably!

Spot on mate, but some drivers are gullable enough to believe they are getting an ACTUAL percentage :unamused: