Pay per load and miles- Legal?

I know, Robroy! If I had my time over…!
To tell the truth, I reckon the bosses used the “think of a number” system of wage calculation.

bigfoot:
Hi

Could someone please tell me if it is legal to be paid per load and mileage?

My wage slip shows my amount of loads as hours worked. For example, 13 loads at 13hrs. Mileage is included in each ‘hour’ and not shown in pay slip but on a different run sheet i get.

Could someone tell me If employers are not allowed to pay their employees like this or if it is not legal and if there is any literature to back it up.

Many thanks in advance.

By law an employer has to meet three criteria:

1. Ensure that the hourly rate meets the National Minimum Wage

2. Make sure that how the employee is paid is clear and understandable.

3. Not run the business in a way that puts undue pressure on a driver to break the rules as said.

The first two are mandatory under employment law, the third a requirement of an O license.

Now when it comes to point 3, being paid per mile kind of does mean they’re operating in such a way that puts pressure on the driver because what you earn is directly related to how many miles you drive. That means you’re likely to take risks that you wouldn’t otherwise do.

sewerat:
i pay per job. some lads make £200 to £300 per day. but they want to work for a living unlike some of the can’t do, won’t do people on here.

There’s not enough profit in haulage to pay a driver £300 per day unless they’re running bent.

In my experience when an employer says he has drivers who “want to work for a living” he actually means he has drivers prepared to run as bent as hell driving everywhere on the limiter.

Conor:

sewerat:
i pay per job. some lads make £200 to £300 per day. but they want to work for a living unlike some of the can’t do, won’t do people on here.

There’s not enough profit in haulage to pay a driver £300 per day unless they’re running bent.

In my experience when an employer says he has drivers who “want to work for a living” he actually means he has drivers prepared to run as bent as hell.

trust me pal. there is if you move ■■■. :laughing:
i have 27 ■■■ machines on a 60/40 split.

sewerat:

Remember posting this in the 40MPH thread?

If it is safe then bend the rules.

And then going on about running bent to reach a quiet ■■■■■■■■■■■■ so they can make you more money?

I would love to know the name of your company and then we can see what your Traffic Commissioner makes of how you run your business.

Conor:

sewerat:

And then going on about running bent to reach a quiet ■■■■■■■■■■■■ so they can make you more money?

I would love to know the name of your company and then we can see what your Traffic Commissioner makes of how you run your business.

Nice one :laughing: :laughing: Love that one Conor :sunglasses: , I may even remove my signature quote (see below) I put on to wind you up :laughing: :laughing:

Conor:

sewerat:

all my vehicles are classed as plant. so the traffic commisioner wouldn’t be interested.
i would like to know conor. why on earth would you want to cause problems for a highly profitable company that pays way over the national average salary?
I’ve come across people like you before. Anything to cause problems. I’d love to employ you, Just so i could sack you.

sewerat:
I’d love to employ you, Just so i could sack you.

:open_mouth: Did you come on here to make new friends bud■■? :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

robroy:

sewerat:
I’d love to employ you, Just so i could sack you.

:open_mouth: Did you come on here to make new friends bud■■? :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

yes. Is it working? :laughing:
I’m not looking to make enemies, But i can’t stand jobsworths. We don’t have the time for that sort of thing.
If we turned up at a flooded RDC, and some jobsworth started giving the driver a hard time, The driver would just turn around and go to the next job.

Is there not a dedicated website for [zb] haulers?

i would add something, but robroy is watching my every move :unamused: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

shytalk:
A lot of companys that run tippers pay a basic ■■■■ poor wage and you make it up by how many loads you do…if your not getting a basic wage they are breaking the law.

yep worked for one firm who paid that way, never again will i work for anyone who pays that way.

bigfoot:
Hi

Could someone please tell me if it is legal to be paid per load and mileage?

My wage slip shows my amount of loads as hours worked. For example, 13 loads at 13hrs. Mileage is included in each ‘hour’ and not shown in pay slip but on a different run sheet i get.

Could someone tell me If employers are not allowed to pay their employees like this or if it is not legal and if there is any literature to back it up.

Many thanks in advance.

Just out of intrest Bigfoot how long have you worked for above company■■?

scotstrucker:

shytalk:
A lot of companys that run tippers pay a basic ■■■■ poor wage and you make it up by how many loads you do…if your not getting a basic wage they are breaking the law.

yep worked for one firm who paid that way, never again will i work for anyone who pays that way.

I’ve no idea why tipper firms pay in this way; The job’s hard on a lorry so why encourage the driver to hammer the motor to bits?
It could also be the low value of the load I suppose, rates not helped because if firm A wont do the job, firm B will, for £silly/load and push the driver all day.

So sewerat is operating a company emptying ■■■■ tanks, thats why hes paying a day rate, but if his wage slips do not show a minimum wage, hes operating illegally, none of my business cos its up to a driver to determine what he wants to earn, each to his own i suppose, but, although the day rate sounds very good, £100 - £300 a day, with an average of £200, thats very good, but if you take into account he also has to pay tax and N.I. plus holiday pay, he is in a very strong position in this uncertain industry to survive.

Hi globby
i’ve been working for firm for about 6 months. Its on draw bar doing brick and block work. Only there for experiance as 24 but cant stand the pay structure. Its a job at end of day but i put myself under alot of pressure otherwise i dont earn. As someone already said, the pay structure only reqlly benifits one person and its not the driver.

Many thanks for your helpfull replies.

sewerat:
all my vehicles are classed as plant. so the traffic commisioner wouldn’t be interested.

The Traffic Commissioner has powers over ALL vehicles that run on the road.

i would like to know conor. why on earth would you want to cause problems for a highly profitable company that pays way over the national average salary?

Because how you run it is illegal and dangerous. You run bent, you pay in a way which encourages your drivers to drive dangerously and expect them to do things which are both illegal and dangerous.

I’ve come across people like you before. Anything to cause problems. I’d love to employ you, Just so i could sack you.

I’d never work for a company with the backwards 1960’s attitude yours has. If you’ve not noticed it is 2012, not 1962.

tango boy:
i would add something, but robroy is watching my every move :unamused: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

Whoaa mate!.. Don’t get paranoid, you started the smartarsed answers, I just responded (and at the same time didn’t directly drop you in it :wink:) , I’m a pussycat really so feel free to add something :laughing:

robroy:

tango boy:

Whoaa mate!.. Don’t get paranoid, you started the smartarsed answers, I just responded (and at the same time didn’t directly drop you in it :wink:) , I’m a pussycat really so feel free to add something :laughing:

ive missed ya m8 :wink: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

Muckaway:

scotstrucker:

shytalk:

I’ve no idea why tipper firms pay in this way; The job’s hard on a lorry so why encourage the driver to hammer the motor to bits?
It could also be the low value of the load I suppose, rates not helped because if firm A wont do the job, firm B will, for £silly/load and push the driver all day.

rates in the bulk haulage sector are grim unless you got yourself a couple of nice contracts and supply a service nobody can match, hard too do in this climate as there are too many guys in the tipper game that are prepared too run trucks for little or no profit while they cut a corner or two at the expense of others who try and do it right.