PAUL GEE's PHOTO COLLECTION (Part 1)

The ERF tanker is one of FRUITY BILLS from Longridge :wink:

Good morning all, Dean.
I wonder how many on this thread will admit to, buying and having fitted, a Mitchlin man, or two, on there truck.
There was a time in the 70’s when the electrician at princes could have worked full time fitting them up with a bulb inside, they looked fantastic at night, well i thought so, :laughing: :laughing: harvey

L1737p.JPG

HRS:
Good morning all, Dean.
I wonder how many on this thread will admit to, buying and having fitted, a Mitchlin man, or two, on there truck.
There was a time in the 70’s when the electrician at princes could have worked full time fitting them up with a bulb inside, they looked fantastic at night, well i thought so, :laughing: :laughing: harvey

You would want them set hire than that or too easy to nick, usually on top of the mirror arm Harvey, cheers JD

Buzzer:

HRS:
Good morning all, Dean.

You would want them set hire than that or too easy to nick, usually on top of the mirror arm Harvey, cheers JD

I never had anything as posh as a Michelin Man on any wagon I drove.I did have those big plastic AEC letters on a MK5 Mammoth Major but even they got nicked when parked up in Manchester. :imp:

Nice Tilcon Foden pic, not from our Derbyshire/Staffs area though! :wink: Might be some in the collection, our tippers did get down that way regularly to South Wales.

Pete.

There is a recent post with plenty of info regarding Blackpool Van Transport HERE

As regards WSA 290L…

L1824p.JPG

Powered by a Gardner 240 engine WSA 290L was originally new to Gibbs of Fraserburgh in April 1973.

WSA 290L pictured here on float duty in Lytham St Annes in 1981 with Chris Haworth at the wheel.
This was a common scene in the 1970s/80s, as BVT often lent the services of units and trailers for Carnivals, Galas and Charity events around the Fylde coast.

Pic 5 (2)-001.jpgRegarding the comment by HRS regarding Michelin men, when this picture was taken WSA 290L was driven at this time by Gunnar Plitts, before he was promoted to a 400 series Seddon Atkinson, who was well known for his decorated cabs.

WSA290L Suttons Cab-001.jpgAround 1983 WSA 290L was refitted with this Suttons of St Helens cab and used for a further four more years until it was taken off the road in 1987.

DEANB:
Anyone recognise the bulk powder ERF ■■ Trailer looks a bit like it could be Febrys,but not the unit ■■

L1778p.JPG

I reckon W R Wolstenholme of Longridge. I know nothing of them, other than that I used to see the motors about when I lived in Lancashire. Tom Riding will be the man for info, I reckon!

Here’s an older Wolstenholme motor:

flickr.com/photos/57169683@N04/38505206721/

And a bit of a tale:

archive.commercialmotor.com/arti … d-abetting

moomooland:
[Regarding the comment by HRS regarding Michelin men, when this picture was taken WSA 290L was driven at this time by Gunnar Plitts, before he was promoted to a 400 series Seddon Atkinson, who was well known for his decorated cabs.

Gunnar Plits drove for Northern Ireland Trailers/Pandoro prior to joining BVT, and was well known for his tidy and decorated cabs. When I started at Pandoro in 1976, he was on a Borderer. In his N.I.T. days he was the regular driver of Rear Steer Atkinson, JRN 38H, and which I now own. Peter J Davies photographed it on Toddington in N.I.T. livery, and there is the typical Gunnar touch of a Roadrunner (I think) sticker on the back of the instrument cowl

DEANB:
Some from over a mile away !

Mobil Seddon tanker.

Greenwoods Foden.

Seddon Atkinson pulling a fridge.

Foden flat bed looks like he has 2 consignments on board the way its loaded.

ICI Chemicals GUY.

Carter Volvo F86

Cant make the name out on the MAN.

ERF flatbed.

Routeman tipper.

West Midland Farmers Leyland.

Hello Dean ,…wondering if that ICI Guy was Mamhilad Pontypool based …? Geraint

Mr cooper got a Michelin man on his truck on the left mirror

image.jpeg

DEANB:
Some from over a mile away !

Mobil Seddon tanker.

Greenwoods Foden.

Seddon Atkinson pulling a fridge.

Foden flat bed looks like he has 2 consignments on board the way its loaded.

ICI Chemicals GUY.

Carter Volvo F86

Cant make the name out on the MAN.

ERF flatbed.

Routeman tipper.

West Midland Farmers Leyland.

That MAN looks if it could be Manor transport Llay Wrexham ,thank you Trevor

[/quote]
I never had anything as posh as a Michelin Man on any wagon I drove.I did have those big plastic AEC letters on a MK5 Mammoth Major but even they got nicked when parked up in Manchester. :imp:
[/quote]
Chris, the next thing you would have us believe is that at night you would take all the lenses and bulbs off your trailer and keep them in the cab with you at night, perhaps in an old orange box. :laughing: :laughing: Harvey.

Harvey years ago when I ran a Scania 110 on the front grill below the factory badges I had a prize possession which was a chrome " International " badge which I acquired of a tractor of that make, could have sold it loads of times and did have one attempt to nick it but it was firmly fixed so it remained, Buzzer.

066 (2).jpg

HRS:

[/quote]
Chris, the next thing you would have us believe is that at night you would take all the lenses and bulbs off your trailer and keep them in the cab with you at night, perhaps in an old orange box. :laughing: :laughing: Harvey.
[/quote]
:smiley:
No,I never did that Harvey,the only other act of vandalism I recall was when some kids got on top of that MK5 Mammoth Major whilst parked up overnight at Hyde,removed the dipstick caps and ■■■■■■ down the tubes into the toluene. I didn’t know until a bottom sample was taken at Clayton Aniline and the chemist came back grinning,telling me it was toluene alright,but with urine settled on the bottom. :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

Vandalism ■■ It was an emergency (hours) I finished up at an official lorry park somewhere down by the Barras Market in Glasgow (silly bugga…yes, I know). 3 axle Foden, 3 axle tank…empty. Middle of summer, had a good night, cab hotel. Pulled the curtains back in the a.m. …it’s been snowing :open_mouth: :open_mouth: . Got out to find the local yoofs had emptied all the fire extinguishers all over the cab, never felt or heard a thing all night. :blush: :cry:

grumpy old man:
Vandalism ■■ It was an emergency (hours) I finished up at an official lorry park somewhere down by the Barras Market in Glasgow (silly bugga…yes, I know). 3 axle Foden, 3 axle tank…empty. Middle of summer, had a good night, cab hotel. Pulled the curtains back in the a.m. …it’s been snowing :open_mouth: :open_mouth: . Got out to find the local yoofs had emptied all the fire extinguishers all over the cab, never felt or heard a thing all night. :blush: :cry:

We used to tip Xylene at ICI Paints Tradestone Street Glasgow.You parked ont street and pumped it off. You were advised to remove any spare hoses because the locals would saw off the brass ends or pinch the lot.

grumpy old man:

Something woke me up in the cab hotel in Liverpool. It was 2 kids. about 10yrs old , syphoning my diesel onto the ground! Luckily I had only lost a couple of gallons when I shooed them away. I thought I was safe parked up and staying in a posh digs outside the city centre one night. The view outside my bedroom window included a smart little Fiat 850 parked in the yard - the next morning it was just a shell - they’d even taken the doors.
Stay safe. Jim.

GCR2ERF:

DEANB:
“GCR2ERF” Tony heres a pic of the Cormar Bedford that was parked behind the Fine Fare Leyland. :wink:
Cheers Dean, nice to see that Cormar are still going too!
Note the Fine Fare driver to the left of the picture in his grey uniform :wink:

:wink:

Lance Biscomb:
The ERF tanker is one of FRUITY BILLS from Longridge :wink:

Thats a classic nickname Lance ! :smiley:

HRS:
Good morning all, Dean.

There is a pic on here of a Crusader with 3 Michelin men on it ! :laughing: :laughing:

Chris Webb:

Buzzer:

HRS:
Good morning all, Dean.

:open_mouth:

Like you say Buzzer alot were on the mirror arms or on the roof,not that many on the front like the Volvo. :smiley:

windrush:
Nice Tilcon Foden pic, not from our Derbyshire/Staffs area though! :wink: Might be some in the collection, our tippers did get down that way regularly to South Wales.Pete.

I expect one will turn up Pete ! :wink:

moomooland:
There is a recent post with plenty of info regarding Blackpool Van Transport [url=ht
As regards WSA 290L…