PAUL GEE's PHOTO COLLECTION (Part 1)

pete smith:

Chris Webb:

Spud1960:

Chris Webb:
Hi Dean.
George Catchpole did a lot of work out of Shell Chemicals at Stanlow,most of their tackle was “well worn”. :smiley:
They were taken over by Wim Vos eventually.

Hi Chris,

Think the memory is playing tricks on you George Catchpole was taken over by Hoyer around August 1988, just a couple of months before Hoyer bought Bulk Storage Transport from Paull, but given it was 30 years ago I think we’ll let you off that one and the fact that your knowledge of the UK tanker industry is second to none.

Hoyer invested in a lot of new tackle and a new depot.

You are right Spud,it was Hoyer not Wim Vos.Didn’t Wim Vos buy a UK tanker firm though,I’ve got Offlley Bothers from Ellesmere Port at back of my mind,they worked out of Stanlow as well. Probably wrong so my excuse is owd age. :stuck_out_tongue:

Morning Chris,
O B transport, that is a name from the past! Pete

Morning Pete.Yes,big players in Shell Chemicals Stanlow and Associated Octel at Ellesmere Port and Northwich.They carried the anti-knock compound for petrol in those torpedo shaped skelly tanks.This is not my photo so will remove if requested.Incidentally you were not allowed to consume any food in Octel plants,apart from the canteens, due to the amount of lead ingots stored there,thousands of tons of them. We used to take toluene in both places regularly from Baglan Bay.

OBTransportMay1978.jpg

French Maggie. Any ideas what that would be hauling Chris ■■?

Hi Dean.
Sorry pal,looks like there is a label on the tank but can’t make it out. It could be wine maybe,I know it was imported via Southampton at one time.

DEANB:
Heres one for “moomooland”

One for Pete Smith.

One for 240Gardner.

One for “FLOURPOWER”

One for “smallcoal”

One for “JAKEY”

One for Harvey.

One for “Chris Webb”

One for “kenfig bill” and your dad !

G.H.Moreton Foden from South Wales.

Hey Dean …Some awesome stuff here …Moretons of Barry…as a kid thought thier Guy Js were…Awesome !..think they finished when Geest switched from Barry to Avonmouth…
Re …Eric Miles Monmouth …they had those big metal cabbed S40 Fodens …would see those at Filton Bristol with aluminium from Rogerstone fot the TSR2 wing production …(dad still got his flying wings ) …lol …they also went down to Westland at Yeovil .
Morfa Marathon …could have been with a Hay on Wye based driver at one time …stillages from theWest Mids back to Felinfoel Llanelli …Dean thanks very much …Geraint

Chris Webb:
A grand photo of “Apollo”,Wincanton AEC MK3 Mammoth Major.
I drove several MK3s,here’s a few of POD Robinson and Mick Cook photos taken at Sheffield depot.

Bye 'ell Chris, those Mk 3’s have seen some action during their long hard life.

Did they ever get a wash? (don’t tell Harry Gill I’ve mentioned washing a lorry)

grumpy old man:

Chris Webb:
A grand photo of “Apollo”,Wincanton AEC MK3 Mammoth Major.
I drove several MK3s,here’s a few of POD Robinson and Mick Cook photos taken at Sheffield depot.

Bye 'ell Chris, those Mk 3’s have seen some action during their long hard life.

The one with the HCB cab was my first regular MK3 GOM.TWR 573 was ex Harold Wood with the 11 litre engine and 6 speed box. Longest trip I did in her was Canvey Island - Turriff Aberdeenshire with a load of acetone in 1970. I got a MK5 after a bit but soon onto artics as I was only one of four with a class one at the time.

HI Dean, re the DAF2300 Pics, the early 2300s (77/78) never had the"TURBO INTERCOOLER" Badge on the front grill, so when i had mine signwritten, i got Nigel pennycott( top signwriter in his day) to write it in! bit more useless information for you! Also m oved daf badge to the other side, as on later ones.

Great pictures Dean , No I do not recall the Removal firm ,pretty powerful wagon though for that line of work.

Hi Dean,

Chris is right about wine being imported through Southampton,this pic looks like it was taken in Canute Road Southampton outside Matsolex’s office,the Maggie is a SONOTRI vehicle with a Le Havre reg.no. and may well have loaded at Esso Port Jerome near Le Havre. They were owned by Group Charles Andre ( GCA) who eventually took over Matsolex as well.

Regards
Richard

MaggieD:

Hi Dean,

Chris is right about wine being imported through Southampton,this pic looks like it was taken in Canute Road Southampton outside Matsolex’s office,the Maggie is a SONOTRI vehicle with a Le Havre reg.no. and may well have loaded at Esso Port Jerome near Le Havre. They were owned by Group Charles Andre ( GCA) who eventually took over Matsolex as well.

Regards
Richard

Nice MK5 Mandator artic tanker being loaded with South African wine off a ship in Southampton.3000 gallons of plonk. :laughing:

DEANB:
Our man Patrick has a bit of a fetish for these old sheds so i had better put some
on for him. :unamused: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :wink:

Helo DEAN ,lovely shot of Edge Crusader they had a few of them and also Bedford TMs as well ,werebased at Saltney Chester ,then Wrexham ,and now Deeside ,thank you Trevor

Cheers Dean! That certainly made my day :laughing: :laughing:

Some Bedford pics,how do you rate the sheeting mr Bewick,also fine fare leyland :smiley:

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

Talking of Scammell Crusader’s…

Registered new in February 1984 this Scammell Crusader was operated by the Rochdale Electric Welding Company (R.E.W. Co) of Rochdale who undertook commercial boiler installations, boiler removals and steam system installations,
Pictured here when eight years old in 1992 it is parked up in a lay-by on the A58 Bolton Road Sudden near Rochdale.
A608 KRU was later saved for preservation and is still on the road today as can be seen in the picture below.
Photograph courtesy of Mike Mulraney

A608 KRU is seen here still on the road today after being saved for preservation.

Hi Dean,
ceti were a European removal van line …I think created back in the 60s with British… Irish and European members mainly well established family run companies made up the van line…they also merged with Eurovan another van line in the 1980s …then the both groups became OMNI in the 90s.

I don’t reconise who the Fiat tractor unit belongs to …more than probably a sub contractor…but I think the trailer belongs to the then Dublin member Beverly Smyth back then.

Regards Mark

A04848p.jpg

DEANB:
Bath Waste Disposal F7

This Maggie was taken near Ferndown and i am sure this company was from the Southampton
area anyone recognise it ■■?

Ferrymasters Scania.

Jakey ,Mark do you remember this company.
Hi Dean i have just taken a look on here and i see you have added more great photos on here from the past of old time companys hope you and Paul are keeping well All the best from ARC Daz :smiley: :smiley: :smiley: :smiley: :smiley:

I think this was taken when they were building the Wimborne bypass. I can remember there being
lots of Irish navy’s red Routemans on the job.

W.Waters & Son Seddon Atkinson bulker.

Sharples Foden.

Partridge Maggie.

Prestons Seddon Atkinson.

kenfig bill:

DEANB:
Heres one for “moomooland”

One for Pete Smith.

One for 240Gardner.

One for “FLOURPOWER”

One for “smallcoal”

One for “JAKEY”

One for Harvey.

One for “Chris Webb”

Hey Dean …Some awesome stuff here …Moretons of Barry…as a kid thought thier Guy Js were…Awesome !..think they finished when Geest switched from Barry to Avonmouth…
Re …Eric Miles Monmouth …they had those big metal cabbed S40 Fodens …would see those at Filton Bristol with aluminium from Rogerstone fot the TSR2 wing production …(dad still got his flying wings ) …lol …they also went down to Westland at Yeovil .
Morfa Marathon …could have been with a Hay on Wye based driver at one time …stillages from theWest Mids back to Felinfoel Llanelli …Dean thanks very much …Geraint

Hi Geraint ,can remember Eric Ward years ago with a Dodge 4 wheeler hauling tractors for Taylor Jones in Monmouth ,and in later years hauling steel to Stelrad Monmouth from Gartcosh ,after hauling aluminium up to Falkirk
Morfa Marathon ,may also have been with a Leominster driver ,did your dad drive for them ? always great feed back on South Wales here Dean and Geraint ,regards Keith

ERF-NGC-European:
@DEANB: I just love the way you create these cameo mini-topics within the thread - it appears to have become your modus operandi and it really works!
PS This driver (below) might struggle to get that frigo trailer past H&S today, but I remember pulling some pretty filthy fridges even in the '80s! Robert.

Thanks for your comments Robert. :wink: Like you say that fridge is hanging ! :laughing:

daibootsy:
morning dean,
the the s.a 400, is W.WALTERS & Son from Pontlliw. reguards daibootsy.

Cheers Dai ! :wink:

Chris Webb:
Morning Chris,O B transport, that is a name from the past! Pete

Morning Pete.Yes,big players in Shell Chemicals Stanlow and Associated Octel at Ellesmere Port and Northwich.They carried the anti-knock compound for petrol in those torpedo shaped skelly tanks.This is not my photo so will remove if requested.Incidentally you were not allowed to consume any food in Octel plants,apart from the canteens, due to the amount of lead ingots stored there,thousands of tons of them. We used to take toluene in both places regularly from Baglan Bay.
[/quote]
Thanks for your comments Pete and Chris ! :smiley:

Chris Webb:
Hi Dean.
Sorry pal,looks like there is a label on the tank but can’t make it out. It could be wine maybe,I know it was imported via Southampton at one time.

Totally forgot that they used to bring wine in tankers Chris. I think Robert Armstrong used to do alot of
that work. :wink:

kenfig bill:

Thanks for all the information Bill and (Dad) good stuff ! :laughing:

bazztrucker:
HI Dean, re the DAF2300 Pics, the early 2300s (77/78) never had the"TURBO INTERCOOLER" Badge on the front grill, so when i had mine signwritten, i got Nigel pennycott( top signwriter in his day) to write it in! bit more useless information for you! Also m oved daf badge to the other side, as on later ones.

Thanks for the pic Barry. :wink:

JAKEY:
Great pictures Dean , No I do not recall the Removal firm ,pretty powerful wagon though for that line of work.

:wink:

MaggieD:
Hi Dean,
Chris is right about wine being imported through Southampton,this pic looks like it was taken in Canute Road Southampton outside Matsolex’s office,the Maggie is a SONOTRI vehicle with a Le Havre reg.no. and may well have loaded at Esso Port Jerome near Le Havre. They were owned by Group Charles Andre ( GCA) who eventually took over Matsolex as well.Regards Richard

Thanks for the information Richard you always think boxes of bottles rather than tankers of wine.Can
remember Peter Gilder draw-bars coming through Poole loaded with boxes of wine and apples. Can you
imagine turning up at a Tesco’s with a livestock body full of apples today !!! :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

Chris Webb:
Nice MK5 Mandator artic tanker being loaded with South African wine off a ship in Southampton.3000 gallons of plonk. :laughing:

Nice pic thanks for posting chap. :wink:

tastrucker:

DEANB:
Our man Patrick has a bit of a fetish for these old sheds so i had better put some
on for him. :unamused: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :wink:
Helo DEAN ,lovely shot of Edge Crusader they had a few of them and also Bedford TMs as well ,werebased at Saltney Chester ,then Wrexham ,and now Deeside ,thank you Trevor

Thanks for your comments Trevor, Paul will appreciate them. :wink:

pv83:
Cheers Dean! That certainly made my day :laughing: :laughing:

It dont take alot to make your day chap !!! :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: All joking apart i have some
more Scammell stuff to go on. :wink:

smallcoal:
Some Bedford pics,how do you rate the sheeting mr Bewick,also fine fare leyland :smiley:

Thanks for the pics John, i must do something on the TM or maybe the DAF 2800 soon. :wink:

moomooland:
Talking of Scammell Crusader’s…

Thanks for the pics Paul ! :smiley: :wink:

marktaff:
Hi Dean,
ceti were a European removal van line …I think created back in the 60s with British… Irish and European members mainly well established family run companies made up the van line…they also merged with Eurovan another van line in the 1980s …then the both groups became OMNI in the 90s.
I don’t reconise who the Fiat tractor unit belongs to …more than probably a sub contractor…but I think the trailer belongs to the then Dublin member Beverly Smyth back then.Regards Mark

Good stuff Mark,you learn something everyday on these forums. I have never heard of Ceti intresting
stuff thanks for posting. :smiley: :wink:

ArcDaz:
Hi Dean i have just taken a look on here and i see you have added more great photos on here from the past of old time companys hope you and Paul are keeping well All the best from ARC Daz :smiley: :smiley: :smiley: :smiley: :smiley:

I think this was taken when they were building the Wimborne bypass. I can remember there being
lots of Irish navy’s red Routemans on the job.

Hello Daz,thanks for the comments Paul and Mark will appreciate them. Keep an eye out as i have a
big bit coming soon for you just finalising it. :laughing: :wink:

kingswinford kit:

Hi Geraint ,can remember Eric Ward years ago with a Dodge 4 wheeler hauling tractors for Taylor Jones in Monmouth ,and in later years hauling steel to Stelrad Monmouth from Gartcosh ,after hauling aluminium up to Falkirk
Morfa Marathon ,may also have been with a Leominster driver ,did your dad drive for them ? always great feed back on South Wales here Dean and Geraint ,regards Keith
[/quote]
Thanks for your input Keith. I could not agree more the South Wales boys have been super stars on this
thread ! :laughing: :laughing: :wink:

Some from the dodgy camera.

Cant make the name out on the Volvo ■■

DCP_0685p.JPG

Think its R & W haulage Scania.

DCP_0872p.JPG

Foreign Renault.

DCP_0876p.JPG

Viridor Scania.

DCP_0925p.JPG

M & D Transport Volvo. Were always red in the old days.

DCP_1108p.JPG

Evans Transport MAN.

DCP_1141p.JPG

Woolworths ERF.

DCP_1143p.JPG

Anyone recognise the Scania tipper from Cornwall ■■?

DCP_1145p.JPG

Anyone recognise the Scania ■■

DCP_1149p.JPG

Safeway Scania.

DCP_1161p.JPG

Hi Dean re… Cant make the name out on the Volvo ■■

This one at Teignmouth.
Oily

DEANB:
Think its R & W haulage Scania.

K&W Brick & Block, aka R T Keedwell of Highbridge?