Past Present and in Between in Pictures (Part 2)

1 Like

1 Like

Sandeford Cafe Thursday night
Ade

1 Like

One for Dennis if he’s watching

1 Like

Never mind Dennis, a Marshall was the very first ‘fresh out of the box’ new motor I ever had (5177 WY), 7.7 engine, 6speed box, a great machine

I think Cyril Whitely at Bradford then Saltaire had one .Not sure if it was the one that became their wrecker .Animal was its knickname for obvious reasond

You were lucky, I had to wait 'till 2000 before I got a fresh out of the box new wagon

I should have got one back in 1995 when I stepped down as Transport Manager at Toray, and my promised new steed was given to another driver for its first week.

1 Like

I loaded regular out of Toray in the 90’s for Germany

You would have met the ginger monster then, the 6’ 7" bloke who controlled international movements, apart from Ireland which I stole for myself and sent our own trucks there. He was not impressed.

He did what he thought was the ‘deal of the century’ with an owner driver who promised to do regular trips with an unmarked trailer and come back empty each time, in order to have nobody else’s goods on board. I knew the bloke had put a giant one over on him but the penny didn’t drop ‘till for some reason his trailer was unavailable and he sailed down the yard, past all the directors’ windows, with a trailer proudly advertising Toray’s biggest competitor. I don’t understand Japanese but I do know what screaming in outrage sounds like. :joy:

I tried not to laugh, honest, it wasn’t you was it? :rofl:

Funny enough i am a similar size with ginger hair. We collected for Hauser every friday i think it was rolls of whatever you made. I can’t remember much but do vaguely remember the canteem

Rolls of clothing fabric, For a long time the young lady who was in charge of the canteen was short and round, at the same time I had a regular beanstalk of a driver from the agency of a similar age. They fell in love and, as far as I know, they are still living happily ever after. :joy:

I, with the warehouse manager (the Ginge M) and our boss, the services manager, used to ‘live’ in separate offices at the far end of the site next to the warehouses. Because of that, and as managers, we were entitled to personal service, that little lady used to push a trolly down the yard every day, rain or shine, with the thermos of coffee for our morning ‘meetings’. :rofl:

Ade

1 Like

Birdlip will be better lol
Ade

1 Like

What a difference 70 years makes. The only PPE was a pair of gumboots and dull coloured hard hat.

1 Like

Glad to see someone still alive on here
Ade

Saw this map and wondered how true to form it is, Buzzer

nmp

2 Likes

I never tire of those beautifully made British Transport Films… :hugs:

Probably very, except for the line between Hard As **** and Not The North, which should enter the North Sea at Spurn head, the mouth of the Humber, thus including Hull above it. :joy:

I was born in Manchester, brought up in Nottingham, with a short spell in Southampton. Thus Hard, Still With and Not North, in that order. :rofl:

That makes me a Not the North Rent Boy - :grimacing:

Only just Ade :rofl:.