Past Present and in Between in Pictures (Part 2)

Apparently Ashworth was a brilliant engineer and he could tamper with them but i would think there’s only so much you could do. There were plenty of tales about him years ago not sure if any were true.

Yeah ok, but how MUCH tampering can you do with, what?..a 120 Gardner maybe in it?
to make it comfortably pull that sort of weight.
How much would an old tractor of that era, x13 weigh exactly?

I had an Atki with a 220 Cumins in it pulling at 32 tonnes, that was bad enough.
I remember pulling up Beattock A74 the s/b was closed roadworks, so the n/b was 2 way traffic.
It was the days when I used a CB (before the airwaves became awash with d/heads) there were not many CB users in those days, it was a new thing…after ‘Convoy’ in fact :grin:, but to my bad luck everybody behind me in the LONG and very SLOW queue behind me, in their 111, 141Scanias, and 88 Volvos,.( which as you probably know, pulled like chalk and cheese compared to the Atki) were CB users, or breakers as we called em in those days.
I got a LOT of stick that day…but mostly good natured.:smile:

It was an AEC and i would guess a 11.3 in it.There was a rumour he put a turbo on a Gardner but like i said earlier there were lots of tales about Jack.
I know how you felt going over Beattock, only yesterday i went from Chesterfield to Manchester and i went via the Snake Pass fully loaded and the traffic behind must have been fed up. Unfortunately i have an auto and no matter how smooth they can be i always feel more in control with a manual

I thought it was an old Foden…shows how much I know.:roll_eyes::smile:

It’s not the best photo there is another of it in Bradford town centre which shows the front. There is a thread on here for Jack Ashworth

Wonder who this may be, is it Mr B ? Buzzer

An also ran, nmp’s

1 Like

Afternoon Buzzer

Croppers of Kendal are still on the go, have a large paper mill at Burneside near Kendal and still run their own trucks…

There was an item on their local news show, it was at the time when they were running old day cab Seddons.
They bought a brand new Volvo F10 full sleeper cab, which as everybody knows was like comparing chalk with cheese, and quite revolutionary in those days compared to the old fashioned Seddons.
The news item involved the manager standing outside the front gate being interviewed in front of the camera.
One of their lads told me that the manager told the driver of the F10 to pull out of the gate,.and go round as many times as he could and pull out of the gate again and again, to make it look like they had a few of them to ‘up their image’ :joy:

2 Likes

Buzzer

nmp

2 Likes

I distinctly remember the first time I saw an F10 (1979 or so) and I was 19 and I thought “Blimey, what a thing”. I still like those F10/ F12/ F16 cab even though they rust.

Gillards (Somerset) in the late 70s/ 80s ran Volvos, it might have been one of theirs I saw.

The Smith lorry is/was a company based in Wishaw up here in Bonny Scotland.

Thanks Dennis J, cheers Buzzer

Worth a bob or two now, nmp.

1 Like

You’re not whistling Dixie, Buzzer. Three Series Ones have just come up for sale here. There is speculation that they will end up back in the Old Dart.

I saw this in Cyprus in 2019.
Well preserved in the Cypriot climate.

3 Likes

Those close headlights were a nightmare at night for oncoming drivers, made it look as if they were a lot further away. They changed later of course and I wonder if that was why.

I often used to see them here and there and wondered how they made it pay with such little lorries. Perhaps high value cargo? :thinking:

On the Land Rover? The lights were moved to comply with USA legislation.
The low light Morris Minor was in the same boat, to Alex Issigonis’ chargrin.

1 Like

What’s the Arlington recovery wagon? 4WD too?

Looks like it, doesn’t it.

Bedford QL I’d say.
Oily