Past Present and in Between in Pictures (Part 2)

Yes, it does rather look like a Corvair.

I notice three Renault 4CVs in the foreground, one with a sun-visor even! They had a curious arrangement called a Traffic Clutch. When you slotted it into first and touched the accelerator the clutch engaged automatically and you were away, ready or not! There was no clutch pedal but the gear shift was a a conventional H-pattern. I wrote one off in December 1969 :rofl:

2 Likes

I watched a YT video about the last Citroën Cityrama bus a couple of years ago. I never found out if they got the money together to restore it.

2 Likes

Untitled
It’s Yorkshire day.

It is indeed a Chevrolet Corvair. I think the white convertible in front of it could also be American.

Ford Thunderbird? My first thought was Sunbeam Alpine, but the windscreen is wrong.

That reminds me of the VW Automatic from the late 60s - essentially a standard “Beetle” with a 4-speed box but no clutch pedal. The blurb boasted of “micrprocessors” that took care of the tedious business of depressing a pedal. It never sold well, yet here we are with 44T+ GVW wagons with electronic “manual” gearboxes.

1 Like

I’ve always liked the looks of the Dauphine.

Similar style but, like many an American, way too wide :wink:

Some news here, in French of course:

https://www.largus.fr/actualite-automobile/citroen-u55-cityrama-la-restauration-du-bus-touristique-lancee-10987398.html

I wonder why Currus (the Cityrama’s coachbuilder) chose the CitroĂ«n 55 truck chassis. It was of course cheap, sturdy and reliable, but very basic, we can say crude.

Roughly the system I have on my 2019 Renault Master; rather efficient.

There are also Simcas and a Panhard in the photo.

In 1960, there were 5 major car manufacturers in France: Renault, Peugeot, Citroën, Simca and Panhard which was much smaller than the others and stopped making cars in 1967.

452285794_122192335556028367_2387733484854368617_n|363x500

D8 with triple engines,

1 Like

ade

1 Like

Interesting photo of one of our Chubb Fire Pacesetters.Wonder of it’s a reimported Australian one given a registration plate to match the year made.
Can remember a story from another works driver about someone standing at a bus stop in Feltham requesting him to stop thinking it was Leyland single decker approaching the bus stop.
It was interesting rear engine Detroit 6v71 with front mounted pump.

Were any sent here? I’ve never seen one, not that, that means we got none. Nothing about that betrays Australian appliance, again not saying it wasn’t. Australian BRTs generally will have the state of service, included in the signage, unless it’s a voluntary or bush fire (totally wrong type of vehicle), which usually include the district. The emergency lights are wrong, as are the auxiliary lights below the bumper. None of this precludes Australian heritage, but makes it appear less likely.

1 Like

From memory they were a rare product for us in the domestic appliance market and I didn’t have much to do with them at that time having not long started and then out on the road driving works van and drop side 7.5 tonner.It seems like this is one of the prototypes which is on the classic show circuit.It seems to be in some sort of export spec with export red emergency lights and amber marker lights top front probably as it was built.There are photos around of one or two in Brit sec livery with different blue lights and no front roof markers.
It wasn’t a success but from memory Australia was one of the customers for the few built.

Spardo, the elusive rail car is not in this clip, but I thought some may be interested to know the 2000 class, two and three car set rail motors shown, had a very British heart.
The first two into service were powered by 125hp AEC engines, subsequent builds were 150hp Rolls Royce powered. All had four speed SCG of Coventry gearboxes.
Most that escaped the one way trip to China, have been repowered with Cummins. Quite a few heve survived and pay their way on tourist railways.

1 Like

Nice rope and sheeted load Dennis :thinking: