Past Present and in Between in Pictures (Part 2)

The first photo is of Jack Ashworth of Bradford’s line up. He was apparently a very good engineer , he had a contract with International Harvesters who had taken over the old Jowett factory in Idle Bradford. There’s a photo of a MM8 and trailer “transporter” on here somewhere which he designed and built the body to carry tractors.God knows how much it weighed but he could also fettle the engines and make them nip on a bit. I heard he put a primitive header tank on the back of a Mandator well before AEC did. There was also a tale of him putting a turbo on a Gardner but thats for someone else to tell .Peter Q i think started a thread on Ashworths and he is much more qualified than me to go into detail

Steyr 91, taken in 1987. Courtesy Alain Mugica on flickr.

I confess I know very little about Steyr (other than common knowledge and Steyr-Puch).

2 Likes

Couple of items here that might give you some info:

3 Likes

Steyers came over here briefly in rhd form…late 80s? with a couple of dealerships, but they never really took off in UK after that.
The high roof cab was ahead of it’s time.
I remember a mechanic mate of mine at the time telling me they were actually a good quality truck.

Some UK examples here:

articfridgesteyr

Gaydon1

steyrstan01-thumb-448x332-91339
scan0021

Twin splitter in this one

1 Like

Ta for the items, it seems Steyr designed their own engine too, which must’ve been expensive. I presume they were popular in the EU.

Chances are Dean has pages of info on these somewhere in the vaults of this site: finding them might be a trial.

Steyr were an Austrian outfit based in Vienna. These Steyrs shown were offered with 9.7 litre straight-six or 12 litre V8 option. The V8 was about 380bhp.

Here are some more pics I’ve unearthed. Love the one taken at Londra-camp Istanbul.

steyr21bu

img683
getimage2CAGN5V2V
A31

2 Likes

1 Like

RÁBA S22 6x2 and MAN F8 from Bosnia-Herzegovina, 1991. Courtesy Alain Mugica on flickr.

I presume the RÁBA is a licence-built DAF.

1 Like

So what happened to Steyer?
Do they still make trucks or have they been taken over by another truck marque?

Daimler-Steyr-Puch sold their heavy truck division to MAN in 1989. The remaining business carried on contract manufacturing, they built Mercedes G-wagons, Jeep Grand Cherokees and Peugeot RCZ of the rop of my head.

Back to heavy trucks, as always happens when MAN buy a competitor, they very quickly close them, although in this case they kept the Steyr factory open building lighter rigid chassis until just last year when they sold it. The new owners are contract manufacturing for various customers, according to their website, including MAN. www.steyr-automotive.com. And yes, the Daimler in Daimler-Steyr-Puch is Daimler Benz.

Cheers for that mate.

IIRC MAN was (is?) a VAG brand, which would account for the ransacking.

I believe the MB G-Wagen (Gelandewagen) was built there for a while.

RABA were built in Hungary. They built a version of MAN trucks under licence and used the old F8 (Saviem) cab until the F90 cab came out; after which they used the DAF cab. RABAs had Fuller 'boxes :grinning:

1 Like

More from the Hall of Fame. You shamed me into posting here, Oily. :grinning:

Uploading: 20230825_123611.jpg…

1 Like

A few comments.

I think MANs were built in Romania and called ROMANS.

I like the Government Road Train, didn’t it have 2 or 3 trailers originally?

And a shiny Rotinoff, was that one of Vesteys? I worked for Vestey before I had a driving lIcence, as a trainee sales man in their Weddel’s butchers’ wholesalers both in Nottingham and Bedford. I lodged with Ernie Wiseman (yes really) their driver and his wife Auriol in Bedford. I got on with Ernie fine but didn’t last long there, Auriol thought I was posh and knew too much. Surely not. :rofl:
Dewhurst’s were their retail arm and Union Cartage (UCC) brought the meat up from Smithfield.
Oh and Blue Star Lines refrigerated ships brought the beef in from Argentina. Had a finger in alot of pies ( :roll_eyes:) did Lord Vestey.

I love the 2 pictures of the pioneers, the 2nd one bringing the empty drums down south from Darwin after the war. I think it might have been Johansson with ex US Army Diamond Ts pulling a variety of trailers mainly cobbled together by himself. :joy:

I believe the Government Road Train had three self steering trailers.
The two Rotinoffs were custom built for Vesteys, the only two with that specification.
I think you’re right about Kurt and the Diamond.

Had a go in them when my wagon was in for service, they performed ok.
Oily

The government road train, Oily? :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

1 Like