Past Present and in Between in Pictures (Part 2)

To be fair it’s a part of the North which is one of my exceptions to the rule barren wasteland.If I ever decide to move to the Norf Norf Yalksher will be at the top of my list.

But they can no longer run at 65 mph either even at night and if the M25 and M1 is miraculously somehow clear all the way to Leeds.Which it certainly ain’t at the moment infested with 50 mph average speed zones for bleedin miles.The A1 is also a traffic clogged joke as a result.
Dewsbury was a good 31/2 hour run at night before the days of limiters and you ain’t going to get from Wakefield to York and Malton in 11/2 hours.Even with an unlimited DAF 2800 ATI fitted with a 3300 motor by the factory by mistake.
Let alone just give up on the 21st century idea of motorways and just use whatever direct A and B and unclassified roads you feel like.

How very gracious of you to bestow your blessings upon that part of the world the locals already refer to as “God’s Country”; The North has some of the most spectacular natural beauty to be found in the UK, (Yorkshire Dales and Moors, Teesdale and Weardale, and pretty much most of Northumberland) but we’re happy to have you southerners believing it is not worth visiting.

I’d appreciate you sharing any future plans in that direction, and I will be certain to alert all and sundry to beware of yet-another-southerner trying to buy into what we have to offer; specifically those who have a very weird idea of how to speak.

If that is how you attempt the Yorkshire accent, do not under any circumstances attempt the Tyneside accent: most who do end up sounding like a Welsh Apu Nahasapeemapetilon

I’ll keep the “proximity alert” on standby setting

Apu_Nahasapeemapetilon

1 Like

C’mon, don’t encourage him.
Listen up Mr Carryfast, IT IS a barren wasteland oop 'ere in Yorkshire, you’ll be well advised to stay away. :angry:
If you do try to get in we’ll assemble our wimmin and they’ll give you a right seeing to.

1 Like

Yes, I must not mislead Carryfast, I will write that out 100 times, in chalk on my slate tablet.

I confess CF, this is the truth about The North

The aforementioned women (don’t fancy yours much)

The local pub - slight problems with parking
The Local

Our hospital
Hospital

View from the end of our streets
Library

The streets them selves

The Local Library

The new school

2 Likes

It must be a world wide problem, blo ody southerners invading the serine north.
In times gone by the populations of Sydney and Melbourne considered themselves, sophisticated, cosmopolitan and superior to us, by virtue of their geographic domicile. All of a sudden, they’ve seen the error of their ways and are migrating north in droves. The result being that our whole way of life is changing for the worse. No longer is it the norm to be laid back, considerate and helpful; the blow-ins have not abandoned their rip tear and bust, me, me, me attitude.
From my point of view, the further north Carryfast goes, the better. :wink:

Funny you should mention that, just planning our next trip down under.
Hope to start at Port Douglas then drive south to Sydney via Blue Mountains

This is the Atki I drove, basically an engine, gearbox with wheels and a cabin to sit in that keeps most of the weather out. It knows it’s an Atki and doesn’t identify as a Merc or Scania nor does it want to be. It hasn’t had anything added or cut off, it’s happy as it was when it came out of the factory.

1 Like

That reg is from Newcastle or Durham, we had 8267 UP on a Dodge 4 wheel flat.

1 Like

1 Like

Leeming Bar August 2022.
Oily

Let me know when you’re coming, I’ll put the kettle on.
If you’re interested, I can show you some beauty spots that are not on the tourists’ trail.

Thanks We are still planning could be next year or later.

1 Like

Jack Brabham lent his name to a Vauxhall Viva variant. It was not much of a success.

Actually my Dad bought a 2nd hand “sort of conversion” Viva.
Dark green and no extra stripes but it did have twin Strombergs on it. Never did get the car to run well so he fitted a standard carb.
It was a family car, not a boy-racer’s bolt on special, after all.

To be fair that could also be Sheerness or Bermondsey.

Norf Yalksher is definitely Estuary ( as in Thames ) English dialect although Norf might also be better ( silent t’s in better remember like no H in Arrogate ) stated as Nalf.Cockneys would obviously have totally different code words for everyfing so no one knows what they mean except them without the ‘knowledge’.

We had HA Vivas but HBs were Torana, also available as Brabham Special. The Torana grew incrementally to the size of a small, large car (Australian rating), as mentioned in the video offered in engine sizes from 1900cc 4, 173 and 202cu" 6, up to 308cu" V8.
Sorry about mixing the measurements, we tended to size little engines in ccs and full size 6 and 8s in cu".

For all its faults, drafty, cold, hot, noisy, uncomfortable, hesitated to go up a one in ten and really frightened the life out of the thought of going down one, that was the lorry I lusted after when I first started out as a haulage driver. Tich from Freeman Volkers and Stewart was their Midlands shunter and used to come into our yard (Shaw’s, of Stapleford, Notts.) to wash his unit down every Saturday morning and I was allowed to pause the cleaning of my Albion long enough to climb aboard and see what a proper lorry really was. And it had a real live radiator too. :joy:, What was not to like? :rofl: