Past Present and in Between in Pictures (Part 2)

And you could check the oil from the driver seat!

I’ve said before I’d like to wheel around in one for a half hour or so, but when I drove a couple in the 70’s they were already of a past era.
I’m confident that the “armstrong” steering would be a heck of a challenge today. Glad I had a Ford on my HGV test.

Glad I didn’t have an HGV test. :rofl:

1 Like

Be careful what you wish for mate. On my list of lusted after cars, was a Morgan. An interstate friend bought one, local to me and I collected, stored and drove it onto the truck. What a pig to drive, heavy clutch and brakes and whatever pedal I attempted to depress, the brake became involved, such is the lack of space in the footwell.
I hope I never get to drive an XK 120, the lus ting is a pleasure, the reality a disappointment.

I think a half hour would be fun, but have ambition for more than that. A wheel round with a 180Gardner and 6 speed D-B box and also with a 220 Cummins and Fuller would be enough for another few decades.

I nearly bought a Rover P5B several years ago. I had a link to the dealer so had an extended trial with it. I might have one as part of my stable of twenty cars, when my boat comes home, but not for me then, and a way down my list now.
eBay item number:276391609844 Like that but black with red leather.

My HZJ 75 (a Troopy to you) is primitive enough to keep my feet on the ground I reckon.
Great tool for trips, but leaves a bit to be desired in other uses.

I remember transporting Viva GTs in '60s and there was a hotter version the Firenza in the '70s.
Oily

@Robroy, we called them Gemini, they were the J platform sourced from Isuzu.

They were preety rare over here as far as I remember.
I have only ever remember seeing the one only, at that time.

We didn’t get a hot version, here, but as they aged there was a class of racing for them. It was a cheap way into racing and a support class for the Touring Cars.

What our well healed boy racers were driving.

Note the ultra-rare Leyland Force 7, at the beginning.

My lus t on that score was satisfied many years ago when I drove for a company based in the industrial estate which had grown up on the pre-war Castle Donnington circuit.

One of the fitters owned one and I was allowed to drive it around the original circuit which incredibly included going under a narrow overhead arch bridge.
All that, including the industry, disappeared when the circuit was re-built and is still in use today I believe.

1 Like

I agree with your ‘Be careful what you wish for…’ thing. I always thought the F88 was the dog’s do-dahs till I drove one. Admittedly it was a bit old and knackered but after a few days out in that, with it’s ‘ford prefect’ type vacuum wipers and cramped cockpit I was more than glad to get back into a B-series ERF and the Transcon! (I still think F88s looked the part, though).

Ditto the SD1 Rover. What a pile of disappointment. Give me a P4 anyday.

Commiserations, but we all have to start somewhere. :wink:
The best move I ever made was moving from an FJ to a Disco.

I’ve had a Rangie and a Disco.
I enjoyed them both in different ways, but prefer the Troopy for how it’s being used.

I’ve got both, I know what you mean about enjoying them in different ways. I love the Rangie around town and on the bitumen, but I don’t trust it off road like I do the Discovery. Last year I did a trip to Alice Springs via Cunnamulla, Quilpie, Bedourie and The Plenty Highway and home through Marla, Oodnadatta, William Creek, Lake
Eyre, Strezlecki Track, Cameron Corner and Noccundra, half of it dirt road. I wouldn’t even contempt doing that in the Range Rover.
All good, each to their own. It was really just a light hearted dig.

I did read on an Aussie site:
If you wanna trip to the Outback, get a LandRover.
If you wanna get home again, get a LandCruiser.

:wink:

Oh, and with good off-road tyres the Rangie is surprisingly good IMHO.

Similar to “90% of Land Rovers ever made are still on the road. The other 10% made it home.”

:rofl:
Or, “90% of Land Rovers ever made are still on the road. The other 10% made it home.”

It’s not the tyres that I don’t trust, it’s the can bus and everything being computer reliant.
That’s the thing I admire about the Tojo 75, simple, mechanical, fix it with a bit of fencing wire.

1 Like

1 Like

Given the choice I’d prefer a recent Disco or Range Rover or Defender to a Rolls.They are all lovely things to drive at least in 6 and 8 cylinder form and the best seat options.Well worth the money if got it to spend.