Past Present and in Between in Pictures (Part 2)

A couple from near Ipswich, I can’t remember lol

Ade

Here’s an odd one. I wonder what advantage there was in mounting that air-con sideways on the roof…

Flattery will get you nowhere Robroy!! Unfortunately it is not me standing next to the Berliet.
I believe the twin engine design was an experiment by a USA manufacturer, I don’t think it got any further than that. I remember seeing the Ford D series twin engine unit when I was at BRS Gateshead.
Like you I passed my test in a Dodge K series, trained at Tyneside Training Group at Lemington.
The tilt locking device / design was a bit suspect and I think there was instances of cabs tilting under harsh braking conditions.
By the way :- Many thanks to yourself and Franglais for keeping us all entertained with your political jousting, just to let you know I am usually on your side.

Most on here are…despite what Frangers thinks. :joy::joy:

Keep the dust out of the condenser? Assuming it traveled to parts with unsealed roads.

You’re probably right as there’s no shortage of fine dust on the Middle-East roads whether they are sealed or not! The only other reason I can think of is that a previous unit had weakened the roof-hatch mountings and that a new one was installed the other way round - just a ridiculous guess, mind. I’ll go for yours :grinning:

1 Like

I took a ME motor out in the 80s on a UK trip, when mine had broken down…a mate loaned me it, a 2800 DAF like the one in the pic.
It also had the A/c pod on the top…but facing the right way.

My curiosity got the better of me one day when bored, and I switched the unit on in the cab.
I got covered in fine yellow dust, half of the Western Desert was all over the cab.:roll_eyes:

Presumably the driver sits in the middle of No. 6?

Funny thing that, I have just posted on a local forum which includes ladies and gentlemen but as it featured certain parts of the male anatomy, I am afraid this company is too delicate for me to pass it on. Believe it or not it is on Amazon. Anyone desperate enough to see it should go to Amazon.fr and search for ‘slips’.
For the benefit of the monolingual that means ‘briefs’. :rofl:

A few contemporary pics.
I am not a big fan of custom trucks, but the effort and skill are clearly all there.
The idea of screens so small and skirts so low for everyday use?

A few more

As an ex heavy recovery driver I can tell you that we just luuuurve them low skirts! :rage::rage::rage:

Aye.
A few years back I had a very low miles ex F1 unit. It had a very pretty low bumper/air dam with extra lights in it. After a few words with the boss that was unbolted, Better than ripping it off on the first gravel track leading to an agricultural site.

I’d love to see any of them try to cross a Romanian level crossing :rofl: - though to be fair, they’re probably ironed out since my day :face_with_peeking_eye:

I commented on an FB post something similar about weighbridges and these low-rider rigs, everyone else seemed to think they would just pump more air into the suspension and lift them up to the desired height. That would take some doing with some of the weighbridges I’ve seen in various scrapyards!

Correction now see he was too knackered to sheet it and couldn’t be bothered to take the ropes off it before walking away.

It’s ok SDU I recommended you for the job.
By all accounts the previous driver only stuck it for three days and left it there in the customers yard after taking the ropes and sheets off and then when he’d tipped it what would have been doing the second or third load of the day.
Although some say he’d heard a rumour about the wagon being replaced with an artic or maybe drawbar.

Do keep up Carryfast, that discussion was nearly twenty posts ago. See how much you miss, not getting up until the crack of midday.

1 Like

If only doctors could be as good in relieving osteoarthritis pains!

What is that mural on side of that truck depicting? …film ? Tv series or what?

Looks like a mish mash cross between French Z Cars…one of em looks like James Ellis/Lynch (showing me age) , French customs and a Sweeney villain 70s Jag chucked in.