Past Present and in Between in Pictures (Part 2)

On the A66 at Stainmore 2023.
Oily

Now that is an interesting photo . An L.A D half cab … never seen one of those before … 6x4 as well evidently , and also on trade plates .
Can’t help but wonder what the story is there .

Taking a punt here but I think it might be a military application, RAF possibly, for loading missiles/bombs onto aircraft. The background looks like a military establishment or certainly something government related.

AEC missile loader

1 Like

I hope that the driver gets a clear signature for that.

2 Likes
1 Like

Buzzer

nmp

Jason Crofts latest aquisition, nice.

2 Likes

Early Magnum perchance? :wink:

1 Like

Tag axle…your average Tang would love it !

Dunno if I misheard but grossing 160 ton

Oily

You didn’t mishear oily, that Kenworth T909 will be rated for 200 tonne, a weight not achievable on public roads but is on mine sites.

1 Like

Credit to eastleighbusman for the photos.
Oily

At least they put the name a little higher to make it difficult for the wags to reach. :rofl:

1 Like

The Italian Job

2 Likes

Done this a few times, hay or straw in the container, hard work!!!

At least there was no roping to do. Waggon belonged to Bob Corbett from Otterburn, Northumberland knew Bob and Neil, the driver quite well. Regulars at Tyneside Mart Fat sale every Friday.

1 Like

I did look at that last one before seeing comment…Not an easy job.

A bit late to the party on this, but I also had an Atki with air wipers, it was a 1974 M plate, I bought it in 82, but even then the technology belonged in the 60s…especialy evident, as it was the very first truck I bought (and could afford) after coming off an F10 as an employed driver…talk about a harsh reality check and come down… :flushed:

A driver I knew with old fashioned ways and ideas, got his Dodge replaced with an F88 Volvo, it was getting out of a ordinary truck into a whole different environment.
He went out on a night run, and complained the ‘floor mounted headlight dip switch’ did not work, and that everytime he pressed it, tge engine made a funny noise…yep he was pressing the exhaust brake :joy:…he had never come across a one befote having driven nothing but Dodges and TKs and the like.:joy:

I would really like to have a wheel around in one of hose Atkis or 88s. I reckon a half hour in the Atki would be enough, and maybe a little longer in the Volvo would suffice.

T’other hand I would prefer my old 2006 SSC manual, with exhaust brake and retarder, over any auto I ever drove.

I went to a vintage truck show a few years ago Frangers, with one of my lads (you know you are getting on a bit when motors you used to drive are classed as ‘vintage’ snd ‘museum pieces’ :joy: )

Got a chance to sit in that Billington Atki that does the rounds, the initial thougjt was ‘How tf did I ever endure this’ .

I also sat in a 88 and was amazed how small it was to how I remember it (never had one, but it was the truck I wanted most as a young lad, there was just something about them at the time that appealed to me.

As for the TK that was there…I looked at ‘Tiny’ was the word that sprang to mind.
I remembered cabbing it on Aldgate roundabout East London, after returning from a wild night in the adjacent Red Lion (if you recall the Red Lion you will know EXACTLY what I mean :flushed: ) me across the seats at 6’ 1’, my mate who was even bigger, on the parcel shelf with his feet out of the window (which were soaken wet in morning :joy:) and my dog kipping (and f4rting all night) on the floor below us :joy:)

Good old days, young wild and mad, when the job was fun…(better trucks these days, job as fun as you make it, a bit older but still a bit wild and mad…(glad to say.) but maybe not as much.:joy:

1 Like

1 Like