Past Present and in Between in Pictures (Part 2)

I was wondering what the police(lady?) was indicating with her outstretched right arm. Some kind of diversion?

Looking closely the driver appears to be hanging out the window so I suspect she his giving him directions. Policewoman is wearing white sleevlets as if on point duty.
It may not look like it but that location was a main four way cross roads (pre A19 & A1M) on the Sunderland to Durham east - west route and the north - south route through what was then a largely agricultural area with a lot of coal under the surface.

Yes, I thought she was giving directions too. Even though HLS was one of my regular places to go, I had to use Google maps to get an idea of where that photo is, totally different to what it looks like today

A Daimler Dart had one on my wagon once, had a spurt around the yard before loading :grinning:
Oily

Leeming Bar 2022.
Oily

Scanias on the 2023 Highland Road Run.
Oily

1 Like

1 Like

Love the Indian Space Cab. :joy:

2 Likes

Interesting, never seen that set-up before Oily, as most prefer the 5 axle set-up.

1 Like

Is Tear haulage still going? I just about remember seeing them about. It is a simple livery but works well

434328115_1928012920982807_7636268541359902349_n

1 Like

Newcastle Quayside 1950

Pyrex Glass. Millfield, Sunderland

1 Like

1 Like

You wouldn’t think a big company like Pyrex would suffer, but that place, or rather the huge sprawling complex that replaced it, is long gone.

As for the Quayside… I don’t know when you left the area but if it weren’t for the bridges you couldn’t recognise the place

On the A66 at Stainmore 2023.
Oily

Yes! Pyrex was a big complex, as you say all gone now. Production ceased in 2007.
in the early seventies. I went to Gateshead Tech with a lad who was apprentice in the fleet workshop.
As for the quayside, the truck in the foreground (Guy Otter, but could be wrong on that) appears to be standing in front of where the Law Courts are situated.
I lived, worked within five mile of that spot all my life but moved down to Teesside a couple of years ago.

Ah, another one who moved to be with the smoggies, I thought you were in New Zealand, judging by your photo collection

We were in NZ March this year. Toured both islands by car and drove approx 2500 miles. Also wanted to visit some ageing relatives (both in their late 80’s and originally from Lanchester, Co. Durham) probably be the last time we will see them.
Some more from that museum

Couple from the roadside

1 Like

Buzzer. nmp’s
440218084_2044358192626902_8554343780850643050_n

1 Like