Past Present and in Between in Pictures (Part 2)

New Zealand? Well if I’m ever passing that way… :joy:

Stockton Fire Station in Norton

1 Like

2 Likes

Here’s a delight to start a Sunday morning. If you were around in the '50s and '60s you can’t help but be moved by this evocative painting. You can almost taste the cold damp air and the diesel exhaust. You can hear the beat of that loco as it struggles up Beatock, and the growl of your Leyland 0.600 (or 0.680 if you’re lucky) as you pull away. Feel the finger indentations under the rim of the steering wheel as you feed it through your hands. You’ve got a noisy day’s driving ahead of you. Pray that the snow holds off…

ERF-NGC

1 Like

Yes, indeed, but who is that in the little blue van? Not a Ministry man doing a silent check?
I was promoted to an Otto just like that for a couple of weeks when the regular driver was on holiday. I can remember the feeling now after tipping for the first time (a load of asphalt blocks from Matlock to South somewhere) and ringing round so proudly asking for the full tonnage as a backload, rather than what was permitted on my 4 wheeler Albion. :joy:
But I can’t remember what those payloads would have been at this distance. :slightly_frowning_face:
No doubt one of you will tell me. :wink: :smiley:

1932 Leyland Bull, a DeFacto photo.
Oily

1929 Leyland Badger.
Oily
Leyland_1929_Badger-hr no known cr

A challenge what is this monster, Buzzer

nmp

1 Like

Spotted on the M6 yesterday

1 Like

NMPs

1 Like

It reminds me of the 1950’s UK film Hell Drivers.

1 Like

Yes, but they had Dodges. More speed in the cutting room than under the bonnet I reckon as well. Stanley Baker and William Hartnell, the first Doctor Who. Others, later well known, but lost to me now. :roll_eyes:

Patrick McGoohan. Alfie Bass?

1 Like

Don’t forget Sean Connery

Shorry, wash he in it too? Who was the female love interest, could it have been Glynnis Johns? Recently died at over 100 I think.

1 Like

It’s on YT these days, I watched it a couple of months go.

1 Like

This looks a painting to me.

Yeah get up and go early lol
Ade

1 Like

Very much the Hell Drivers type, a Michael Trolove photo.
Oily

2 Likes

Hell drivers and Perkins, a contradiction in terms. :laughing:

Don’t forget the great Stanley Baker. :+1: