One truck two jobs

I need one truck on the farm to haul bales of straw onto the farm and manure away from the farm , bulk tip, will it be possible to have a flat that can be converted to tipper or vice versa , hook loader not option to high , also need to pull flat trailer with bales , artic no good for fields …. What could i do other than run two trucks ? Tia
Oh will only need swap flat for tipper once or twice year ….

I would say yes to one truck, if you can get a flat with higher than normal dropsides and tailgate. Dropping inwards that is so you can load the bales on the backs of them.

Less contamination that way too.

I don’t see that you can readily convert a flat to a tipper?

So I think you would need to think of a tipper that you mostly use as a flat.
But if only for one or two trips a year? Is it worth it?
Get a flat and hire in a tipper for those tipping runs. It avoids the expense of buying tipping gear, the weight and complication of such for little use.

Cheaper and easier to avoid tippers if you don’t really need one.

Be more than two trips , will have 1000 ton maunure to tip just need to swap once or twice a year not one or two trips

Dropside tippers aren’t as common as they used to be, but they are still a thing. You’ll never keep one grain tight, but they’d be fine for muck.
Ginding one won’t be easy, in fact buying a tipper chassis cab and building one may be your quickest answer.

Farmer, Google tipping tray in Australia. I’m thinking Australian style gates and inside curtains. If you have no joy with a search, let me know and I will explain it in more detail. It’s really not hard.

Could i buy an 8 wheel tipper and have a flat body and the tipper just swap when needed ? How would spring suspension be with straw bales ? Would it be leagal to swap bodys ? Dare say a 6 wheel tipper do me but big choice in 8 wheel tippers and seem affordable secondhand ? Double srive good for fields. ? Feasable or none starter ?

Wasn’t there someone who had one truck and 3 demountable bodies

An 8 wheel tipper is likely a shorter wheel base compared to a typical flat for straw bales. Straw is low density compared to muck.

For efficient haulage of straw over a distance you’ll need a longer wheelbase rigid and drag.

Swop bodies are legal but the effort involved for a truck that won’t be well suited may not be worth the effort involved.

How much field work would be involved? A unit with a tipping trailer and flat trailer would do both jobs better.

Every load will involve getting in and out a field , Artic would be perfect in everyway apart from this ……

Id need a minimum of 26’ flat body on tipper truck if possible.

Dolly under the semi-trailer and drag it with your tractor to the hard stuff if too wet?

1 Like

I can’t put the link or the mods will say it’s advertising, although I am not involved with the company in any way. If you google dropside tippers muldoon, you’ll find what you’re looking for. Obviously these are new, but it’ll give you an idea of what can be done.

A demount with a tipper would be a problem. A tipper chassis are very different from a platform chassis due to the tiping stresses. A roll-on-off would work, but obviously you’ve already discounted them due to height.

Acd1202 i have a look cheers !

Have no connection but wasn’t there a firm called Jac-a-Box or similar?

datasheet.pdf (165.0 KB)

Found this. Would suit a mid base six wheel chassis

Gateshead , handy but seems strong money …

If you do a bit of googling eg Dropside tipper bodies for sale uk or Wilcox dropside bodies for sale, there are a few about various conditions and prices.

Gateshead , thankyou i will have alook about …

Dose anyone know how long the bodys on 8 wheel tippers are ?

And how many feet inches are you allowed over hang the rear wheels ?

Wondering if i removed the tipping body if i would legaly get a 26’ flat on ?