Not what I would have done!

I have a friend who runs to Germany twice a week and although this bloke is quite sensible I think that his actions to this make him a ■■■.

He collected his truck last week for his second run out and when he got by Oxford on the M40 the audible brake warning and the LED’s on the dash all lit up telling him there is a serious brake problem, he pulled over and the air gauges were showing full and the tanks were blowing off, we have all had the valves play up at some time and over pressure the tanks so he rang his boss who said “Don’t worry it’s not serious, carry on to Germany and take it into DAF there to get it sorted”. Now - in my opinion he should NOT have driven that truck any further for at least a few reasons.

1. Yes, it might only have been a sticky valve causing the over pressure but what if its not?

2. The Audible brake warning in a truck is ear splitting at least, but to drive it all the way to Germany with it going off?

3. What defence do you have if you get stopped? None in my opinion!

Personally I would not have driven any further - a brake fault is a brake fault is a brake fault.

In my opinion my pal is a first class ■■■!

got to agree with you there, i wouldnt have carried on, im pretty sure it would have been gv9 wouldnt it?
there has to be some kind of common sense here doesnt there? it isnt red and saying stop for nothing

both driver and gaffer deserve a pineapple inserted into thier ■■■■■■ violently!!! :laughing: :laughing: like the last man says it doesnt come on for no reason, yet again another example or cutting corners without regard for what could happen

I would have called out DAFaid for my own peace of mind. At least someone with knowledge of the vehicle type could make a decision on whether there was a genuine fault or not.

I went to pick her indoors up from Hospital on Monday, we have a Renault Megane with a keycard system, so you can just walk up to it or away from it and the doors lock or unlock.

I was paying the carpark machine and she walked up to the car and put her stuff in the boot. I got in and we drove off. I stopped at a friends to collect our dog and the car decided to have a brake fault, red lights flashing, do not drive warnings and a buzzer.

I totally ignored it and drove home, totally safe and no problems with the brakes. It hasn’t done it anymore and doubt it will now.

Well not until the next time the CR2032 battery goes flat in the key :laughing:

Wheel Nut:

Well, you were driving a Renault… I wouldn’t trust French electrics as far as I could throw a lampost!

EastAnglianTrucker:

Wheel Nut:

Well, you were driving a Renault… I wouldn’t trust French electrics as far as I could throw a lampost!

Seems Dutch electrics too, the fault was only a sensor but the unit has popped headlights regularly since being deployed in February, oh and the windows go up and down sometimes when you put your foot on the brake, DAF say that the problem is being “monitored”, I think that is technical speak for “we haven’t got a clue what is up with it”. :unamused: :unamused:

brados:
we have all had the valves play up … and … boss who said “Don’t worry it’s not serious, carry on to Germany and take it into DAF there to get it sorted”…’

To which my reply would have been ‘is it likely to fix itself and what if the evident defect in this critical system gets worse en-route’?

Any response other than the technical and legally obvious ones categorically place both the driver legitimately on a high horse and them on the naughty step :exclamation:

Happy Keith:

brados:
we have all had the valves play up … and … boss who said “Don’t worry it’s not serious, carry on to Germany and take it into DAF there to get it sorted”…’

To which my reply would have been ‘is it likely to fix itself and what if the evident defect in this critical system gets worse en-route’?

Any response other than the technical and legally obvious ones categorically place both the driver legitimately on a high horse and them on the naughty step :exclamation:

In my opinion he has now left himself wide open to accommodate anything his boss says now, as I said he is now officially a ■■■! :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

EastAnglianTrucker:

Wheel Nut:

You have obviously never driven an Iveco Eurotech ? :smiley: :smiley: :blush: :smiling_imp:

brados:

EastAnglianTrucker:

Wheel Nut:

Seems Dutch electrics too, the fault was only a sensor but the unit has popped headlights regularly since being deployed in February, oh and the windows go up and down sometimes when you put your foot on the brake, DAF say that the problem is being “monitored”, I think that is technical speak for “we haven’t got a clue what is up with it”. :unamused: :unamused:

CanBus electrical systems are the reason, they share a common electric line and send different pulses down and different things read the frequencies and do what they’re supposed to do from that…or not it would seem :laughing: I would say that there are some serious problems with any lorry that lowers its windows when you hit the brake pedal, although when it boils the kettle as you put the wipers on is quite useful :laughing:

And yes, your mate is a ■■■ :wink:

newmercman:

brados:

EastAnglianTrucker:

Wheel Nut:

CanBus electrical systems are the reason, they share a common electric line and send different pulses down and different things read the frequencies and do what they’re supposed to do from that…or not it would seem :laughing: I would say that there are some serious problems with any lorry that lowers its windows when you hit the brake pedal, although when it boils the kettle as you put the wipers on is quite useful :laughing:

And yes, your mate is a ■■■ :wink:

If to carry on driving because of a warning light makes you “a ■■■”, i must have been a ■■■■ to drive dack from Belge after suffering an “electrical malfunction” :confused:
After the smoke had cleared from the cab, i deduced that it was a faulty lightswitch as i couldnt turn the lights off and there was only a thin strand of wire behind the switch.
Phone call to the boss,i was asked “to do my best to get it back”, which i did and when it went into the local IVECO dealers, they told me i was “a ■■■■■ for driving it as it had to have a complete wiring loom renewal
Ho hum :slight_smile:

Suedehead, I’m with you, if the boss says carry on then I would carry on, but not with a brake fault, even though the brakes won’t fail because of an electrical problem, more of a cover my arse thing, if you were involved in an accident and VOSA turn up, well who’s the one who’ll end up neck deep in the brown stuff :question:

newmercman:
Suedehead, I’m with you, if the boss says carry on then I would carry on, but not with a brake fault, even though the brakes won’t fail because of an electrical problem, more of a cover my arse thing, if you were involved in an accident and VOSA turn up, well who’s the one who’ll end up neck deep in the brown stuff :question:

See were youre coming from mate but when i done that, Vosa were nothing more than a ■■■■■ bubble.
At risk of sounding like an old ■■■■, if a warning light or annoying buzzer came on in those days i would cover it with a bit of insulation tape or disconnect it to get back to base. Obviously not very pc nowadays!! :laughing:

i agree with you suedehead :laughing:

Bulb removal and black tape, now you’re talking my language :laughing:

Don’t forget to pop the dash and remove the live to the warning buzzer too :wink:

newmercman:
Bulb removal and black tape, now you’re talking my language :laughing:

Don’t forget to pop the dash and remove the live to the warning buzzer too :wink:

Well where else are you going to get a live for the CB?

Air Horn feed off the seat and air duster off the handbrake valve :laughing:

If everyone stopped for warning lights & buzzers on these new breed of Lorries (Trucks for the pc brigade) no body would get anywhere it would be like operation stack when the French are on strike,Old buggars like me suedhead, wheelnut & others would use common sense & judge it for what it was not just stop because of some flashing light.
Case in piont your mate did get to Germany so is he the ■■■ :question:

Volvo is another one where the electrical system plays games, after the first 2 or 3 wierd alerts for nothing the guys in the office tend to have a ■■■■ good idea what the problem is so long as the driver passes on all the relevant information , we have 3 Volvos that are a right pain in the ■■■■■■ with warnings popping up every couple days advising about all sorts then they just stop afer a while even though the vehicle has not been touched, not has many of these problems with a DAF though, and if it showing a brake fault and the air pressure is ok and the brakes actually work then it is obvious that is only an electrical problem

newmercman:
‘…the brakes won’t fail because of an electrical problem…’

Eh :question:

Is it because all the computerisation, microprocessors, solenoids and selector valves, etc, are powered by magic :question: