New Class 1 Driver in Coleshill area

Hello folks,

this is my first post, so I shall make it entertaining… :blush: :unamused: :laughing: <---- see thats entertainment.

I am a 31 year old who has passed his Class 1 on the 1st May, I am looking for work but have stumbled upon the “err, yeah, you need two years experience driving class 1 mate” line about 30 times so far since passing my test. I have however, got to the second round of interviews for a job paying £8.30ph which isnt great, especially compared to the monies being offered on agency around the Hams Hall area. But even the agencies wont take on, unless you have the magical “two years experience”.

Does anyone know of companies that will take on new drivers (although I have been driving class 2 for nearly 5 years) or am I destined to be driving for little more than I am currently on for the next two years so I can say i have that experience?

Any help and advice will be gratefully received.

The Captain

Welcome :slight_smile:

try GAP PERSONNEL AGENCY AND WINNERRECRUITMENT.THIS AGENCY not all time ask magic 2 years expirience.full adress can found this company internet site.as well try ADR NETWORK

Andrejs:
…try ADR NETWORK

But make sure you read their terms and conditions well as I seem to recall they use the clause that if you damage anything then you pay for it… :unamused: :unamused:

firstly congratulations on the pass

unfortunatly your class 2 experience does not count towards your class 1 your starting out all over again , just the way it is im afraid if you sign on with one of the agencies and do a bit of class 2 work for them , you never know you may be available when a class 1 job comes in and no one else available seems the 2 year rule goes out the window when a run needs to get to its destination :wink:

once you have got a few runs out of the way then the work might start coming in as you prove yourself to be reliable etc hard to swallow I know but thats the state of things at the moment patience is the key but you will get there ,

best of luck

Jen x

i dont know exactly what agency work at CO-OP (COVENTRY),BUT CO-OP BASICLY taked driver with out 2 years exp.and Coventry Co-op dont make shop delivery,just trunking job between warehouse.drivers just need help unload cages.

Howells group saltley Took me on no exp on class 1 crap money thou ugh better if you are self employed pm me if u want more info

I know the CO OP here is Agency Drivers Network ADR and they require 2 years min exp.

I’ve tried all those agencies, with no luck “two years mate” etc etc, but I do have a lead with Howells.

now STOBART LOOKING FOR TO MANY DRIVERS FOR WORK IN lUTTERWORT.from you place to magna park about 25 miles one way.yes long way and expencive.but if this company taked you ,you get expirience,and aftet you can more easy found another job.but STOBART some time taked drivers with out any expirience.you need just pass driving assestment ,and you must to be work 70 hours per week,for 7.20 p/h first years :frowning: :smiley:

Lutterworth is a bit far to travel.

Two years experience…if I hear that one more time, I am having a Micheal Douglas, falling down moment.

CaptainCooke:
Lutterworth is a bit far to travel.

Two years experience…if I hear that one more time, I am having a Micheal Douglas, falling down moment.

It’s about half an hour travelling… :unamused:

True, but I am trying to keep costs down as much as possible, and although its only 30 minutes its the mileage and fuel cost which will mount up. Thats why I am looking at Coleshill and Hams Hall, its walking/cycling distance.

Ok, well, as a start I’ve not long got my C&E too, so I know what you’re on about. And yes, it can be stressful and annoying. How long have you had your C? Same sort of time or have you had that longer?

I know about all the grief on the Job Centre website but putting in the code of ‘8211’ (driving work) and the area of B461AA brings up about 200 entries.

Now, ok, that is within a 15 mile range and it does cover a fair bit.

West Bromwich and Coventry are both 10 miles away, and that ‘8211’ does cover almost all driving jobs but there are a lot of class 1 jobs there too.

I would advise you do something like keep a list of the jobs you’ve applied for and if they are agencies then keep their details, so at least at the end you can keep track of who you have applied with and who you haven’t.

There are a few jobs which are better than others and others which really are pretty [zb]. I personally don’t want to do food deliveries, but only because I have had experience with P&H and that has kinda put me off for a while. If it was one hit then maybe but even so!

Of that list that I have just done, over half are for class 1.

Having done my conversion training from W&D to regular artics I spoke to a few local agencies and met the usual tales. One whom I have worked in the past for told me I was on their ‘active’ list but haven’t called me and haven’t taken it further. However, another agency whom I am visiting tomorrow morning were eager when I said I had Class 1 and they were desperate for drivers for their DHL contract in Birmingham. I reiterated that I had just past, they said it wasn’t a problem and that I would have an assessment anyway. Even as temporary work it’s a start, right :wink:

Knowing my luck the work will be in the Coleshill area :wink:

congratulations on the pass and welcome

like all new drivers i afraid you may have to do some ■■■■ jobs to get yourself noticed once you have a reputation with an agency and they are ringing you regularly you may get the chance of the dream job you arelooking for its very hit and miss and a lot of luck is involved to get your first start put peoplehave done it so it is not impossible just be patient and dont take any knock backs personaly and you will get that break :wink:

good luck

jen x

Blue Arrow has a contract with DHL with CHEP over near the NEC. £10ph days with a two day assessment every Tuesday. Next weeks slot is full already.

Try containers, they’re always screening for drivers, maybe the money won’t be much good, but the experience will be more rewarding

There have consistently been about 4 different jobs going in the Coleshill/Atherstone/Tamworth area for container jobs but they only want ‘experienced’ drivers and of those with knowledge of containers and the like yet only want to pay £8ph!

Andrejs:
i dont know exactly what agency work at CO-OP (COVENTRY),BUT CO-OP BASICLY taked driver with out 2 years exp.and Coventry Co-op dont make shop delivery,just trunking job between warehouse.drivers just need help unload cages.

Co-op Coventry use Fish Recruitment (Rugby). Good clean work, mostly double deckers to RDCs in an all DAF fleet. Good canteen on site.

Got a job, two days in so far so good.

Straight forward work, but some of the places we go to are very tight to reverse into, very much a baptism of fire.