More DCPC training bollocks

Drempels:
I’m not employed to clean mirrors. I must be free to dispose of my time, if I choose to dispose of my time cleaning mirrors, that’s my choice.

And if you choose to do that then there’s a very slim chance you may be picking up a fine for it. Your choice, but the DCPC dude was right

I disagree, a truck driver is employed to clean their mirrors if necessary.

It doesn’t matter if you choose to dispose of your time by doing it, which incidentally is a requirement of rest and not break! You can’t say I’m gonna choose to chain up this load on my 45, I’m gonna choose to drive or be a passenger in the works van after someone came out to rescue me when I was out of duty time.

It’s work, you can’t seriously try and argue against this fact, just accept it, the dcpc guy was right!

What if i’m checking my hair,or squeezing a spot?

commonrail:
What if i’m checking my hair,or squeezing a spot?

As hard work as some of them may be!! I think you’ll be ok!

stevieboy308:

Drempels:
I’m not employed to clean mirrors. I must be free to dispose of my time, if I choose to dispose of my time cleaning mirrors, that’s my choice.

And if you choose to do that then there’s a very slim chance you may be picking up a fine for it. Your choice, but the DCPC dude was right

It doesn’t matter if you choose to dispose of your time by doing it, which incidentally is a requirement of rest and not break! You can’t say I’m gonna choose to chain up this load on my 45, I’m gonna choose to drive or be a passenger in the works van after someone came out to rescue me when I was out of duty time.

It’s work, you can’t seriously try and argue against this fact, just accept it, the dcpc guy was right!

No, chaining a load down is definitely work and I am employed to do that. I also agree about the works van. Commonrail beat me to it, I could be inspecting my nose for blackheads, none of their ■■■■■■■ business.

If I got a puncture, and the tyre bloke was changing it during my break, I would help him because I choose to do it. I’m not employed to change tyres and I don’t work for the tyre firm, so who am I actually doing other work for?

:laughing:

Drempels:

stevieboy308:

Drempels:

No, chaining a load down is definitely work and I am employed to do that. I also agree about the works van. Commonrail beat me to it, I could be inspecting my nose for blackheads, none of their [zb] business.

If I got a puncture, and the tyre bloke was changing it during my break, I would help him because I choose to do it. I’m not employed to change tyres and I don’t work for the tyre firm, so who am I actually doing other work for?

Dude, just accept the dcpc guy you were taking the ■■■■ out of, was right, I can’t believe anyone is arguing this point!

I take it you see the irony of your last sentence.

I am not going to end up in court for cleaning my mirrors during my break, therefore, the DCPC clown was wrong.

Drempels:

I am not going to end up in court for cleaning my mirrors during my break, therefore, the DCPC clown was wrong.

There is no irony, I wasn’t saying I can’t believe we’re arguing about this, I was saying I can’t believe anyone is arguing that cleaning their truck mirrors isn’t a other work activity!

Is getting the steam cleaner out on you 45 acceptable too?

Calling him a clown, why? Dude we all get ■■■■ wrong, don’t worry about it, just hold your hands

Drempels:

If you are not a nuisance & do offer the benefit of time saving you have helped your company get the job completed quicker, I am sure your contract of employment will have something along the lines of “as other duties as required” so wether you are cleaning mirrors, stacking pallets, changing wheels/tyres, unloading your mates truck & all this just for the joy of it, You will be classed as working, as a wise man on this forum says, why give them a chance to take money off you.

Dave.

stevieboy308:

Drempels:

There is no irony, I wasn’t saying I can’t believe we’re arguing about this, I was saying I can’t believe anyone is arguing that cleaning their truck mirrors isn’t a other work activity!

Calling him a clown, why? Dude we all get [zb] wrong, don’t worry about it, just hold your hands

I don’t have access to a steam cleaner, and there are people who employed to wash the lorry.

He was a clown because apart from saying I would “get done” for cleaning my mirrors, he came out with the coned-off bay story and shortly afterwards, with a bit of prompting from me, the £25 per turn of the leg winding handle classic.

This, from a man who claims to be an instructor in all things transport. Is that clownish enough for you?

Drempels:

stevieboy308:

Drempels:

Calling him a clown, why? Dude we all get [zb] wrong, don’t worry about it, just hold your hands

I don’t have access to a steam cleaner, and there are people who employed to wash the lorry.

He was a clown because apart from saying I would “get done” for cleaning my mirrors, he came out with the coned-off bay story and shortly afterwards, with a bit of prompting from me, the £25 per turn of the leg winding handle classic.

This, from a man who claims to be an instructor in all things transport. Is that clownish enough for you?

Nice question dodge! Just imagine you’re at a different firm with said steam cleaner and no sparkles truck washing company rocking up on a weekend…

Yeah he’s a clown for those gems! But not he’s not adding to his clown status by saying cleaning your truck mirrors is an other work activity

Nice question dodge! Just imagine you’re at a different firm with said steam cleaner and no sparkles truck washing company rocking up on a weekend…

Yeah he’s a clown for those gems! But not he’s not adding to his clown status by saying cleaning your truck mirrors is an other work activity

:laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

This, from a man who claims to be an instructor in all things transport.

You do realise most of these clowns are ex lorry drivers. :wink:

jakethesnake:
This, from a man who claims to be an instructor in all things transport.

You do realise most of these clowns are ex lorry drivers. :wink:

And they have mostly been the worst instructors I’ve had to misfortune of being taught by.

Maybe the old adage of “Those who can do, those who can’t teach” holds true? :wink:

Question dodge :unamused:

Let put it another way:

At work, I am under instruction. On my break, by definition, I must be free to dispose of my time. If I choose to clean my mirrors, that is my decision. I am paid to deliver and collect things, and drive the lorry. Part of that is securing loads, checking the vehicle etc.

All other work. All part of my duties whilst under instruction. If I sit and have a cup of tea for 15 mins, then decide to clean my mirrors, that is my decision, by virtue of the fact that I am free to dispose of my time as I see fit. If I felt the need to polish the diesel tank, I would do so. If somebody came along with a steam cleaner and asked me if I wanted to use it, I would decline, I don’t like washing lorries. I like clean mirrors, so I clean them. My decision. Do you understand now? If I don’t feel like cleaning them, I don’t.

If my boss rang me and told me to clean them, that would be very different. He would be asking me to do something during my free time, which would mean I was under instruction, and therefore not on break.

Do you see the distinction between choice and instruction?

Is there any difference between what you are told on the dcpc course and what you hear in an RDC waiting room?

waddy640:
Is there any difference between what you are told on the dcpc course and what you hear in an RDC waiting room?

Only in the duration of the pish you have to listen to :laughing:

Drempels:

stevieboy308:

Drempels:

No, chaining a load down is definitely work and I am employed to do that. I also agree about the works van. Commonrail beat me to it, I could be inspecting my nose for blackheads, none of their [zb] business.

Firstly i must commend you on your high personal hygiene standards BUT as part of my last job as a retail driver was to have a reasonable neat appearance could inspecting ones nose for said blackheads be considered work ?

PS, i already know i’m a clown :wink:

Drempels:
Question dodge :unamused:

Let put it another way:

At work, I am under instruction. On my break, by definition, I must be free to dispose of my time. If I choose to clean my mirrors, that is my decision. I am paid to deliver and collect things, and drive the lorry. Part of that is securing loads, checking the vehicle etc.

All other work. All part of my duties whilst under instruction. If I sit and have a cup of tea for 15 mins, then decide to clean my mirrors, that is my decision, by virtue of the fact that I am free to dispose of my time as I see fit. If I felt the need to polish the diesel tank, I would do so. If somebody came along with a steam cleaner and asked me if I wanted to use it, I would decline, I don’t like washing lorries. I like clean mirrors, so I clean them. My decision. Do you understand now? If I don’t feel like cleaning them, I don’t.

If my boss rang me and told me to clean them, that would be very different. He would be asking me to do something during my free time, which would mean I was under instruction, and therefore not on break.

Do you see the distinction between choice and instruction?

Dude, I see what you’re saying, always have, but that don’t make it right.

As I’ve already told you, being free to dispose of your time as you wish is a requirement of rest, not break, same symbol 2 different things. Same goes for being under instruction - that’s rest too! You could be instructed to go wait over there, once there, you could put it on break, you could be instructed to go with Dave on a MM shift, you can be on break whilst Dave is driving.

Cleaning the vehicle is one of the things listed as other work, the same as load security, maintenance etc, cleaning the mirrors comes under that as they’re part of the vehicle. You can’t choose to rewire a u/s marker light on your break, even if you’re not expected to do stuff like that and the mechanic at the yard always does it

So you can’t choose to do that on your break, in the same way you couldn’t choose to be recovered once out of duty time. Because even if it’s your choice, even if you ain’t getting paid, doesn’t change the fact that that actively is other work, you can’t choose it not to be, that’s something that the ability to choose has been taken away from you.

If it’s a work activity, then it’s a work activity, it’s that simple, no need to try and over think it.

DCPC course - sit there for 8 hours and try not to fall asleep .
Who actually cares about it - we have to do it - we do not get tested on it , no exam at the end .
Sit there shut up ,let the bullshine go over your head .
Last one I went to we had one driver who argued his point all the way to dinnertime when he was quietly told to shut the ---- up or he wouldn’t be there for the afternoon session . The last 4 hours were great .lol