Morality of enforcing DCPC Training on Rest Days?

I last night learned that the Transport Manager at my ‘blue chip’, German named & international logistical support company has dictated that DCPC modules will be presented to drivers on paid Rest Days or on working days - with rest day working being compulsory on top of my 48 hours that week

Being reluctant to do overtime due to all my time being precious and recuperative, etc, I’m not overly chuffed with this. My contract requires Rest Day working for the Christmas period, which is fair enough…

Bearing in mind that I dislike the UK’s membership of the EU (and noting how the company is HQ’d in Switzerland to wriggle taxation, etc) how far will it be reasonable to confront such dictatorial ‘management’ on this, mindful that I’m a Union member yet to get their take on being told how to spend my Rest Days

If I read that right, your company are paying you on your rest day to come in, and paying for your dCPC, and you’re hear moaining FFS :imp:

What does it say in your employment contract about your contracted hours?

The law is that you can, if you wish, attend DCPC training on your weekly rest day…even if it has been arranged by your employer.But it has to be your choice to attend.

But if your employer is paying you to attend, or compelling you to attend, then by definition it cannot be a weekly rest day as you are not free to dispose of your time as you wish. So they will have to provide you with another weekly rest day at an appropriate time to conform to the hours regs.

That’s the law.

It’s the EU hours law, so you may not agree with it!

Happy Keith:
I last night learned that the Transport Manager at my ‘blue chip’, German named & international logistical support company has dictated that DCPC modules will be presented to drivers on paid Rest Days or on working days - with rest day working being compulsory on top of my 48 hours that week

Being reluctant to do overtime due to all my time being precious and recuperative, etc, I’m not overly chuffed with this. My contract requires Rest Day working for the Christmas period, which is fair enough…

Bearing in mind that I dislike the UK’s membership of the EU (and noting how the company is HQ’d in Switzerland to wriggle taxation, etc) how far will it be reasonable to confront such dictatorial ‘management’ on this, mindful that I’m a Union member yet to get their take on being told how to spend my Rest Days

Keith,

That very subject has been discussed here:

Does 7 Hour Driver CPC course count as other work? - #18 by dieseldave - SAFETY, LAW AND WORKING TIME DIRECTIVE FORUM (INTE - Trucknet UK

There is definitive guidance from VOSA in it, so it’s probably applicable to your situation.

My firm are paying for my courses and paying me time and a half on a Saturday to do the courses, the also start the course early to keep rest hours in line, though we very rarely work a weekend the courses are kept to one a month.
I quite enjoy the extra money and the fact they are paying to invest in me at no financial cost for me that I otherwise would have had to burden :wink:
After all for most in this job its not a 9 to 5 industry :wink:

Cheers for the tips, fellas.

Drift:
‘…My firm are paying for my courses and … paying to invest in me at no financial cost for me …’

Perhaps my problem is that I:

1. I enjoy proper work and really love my rest days :smiley:

2. I hate EU bullshine and see compliance as the company having to satisfy an undemocratic EU diktat whilst they sit strategically outside the EU on a tax break despite our discomfort or with concern at erosion of welfare at the hands of EU clerks

It’s disheartening that distant hierarchies work out the cost/profit of everything but don’t give a stuff to the value of quality aspects for human beings - and suggests that a dose of ‘don’t get mad- get even’ is further due, not least at the polls :wink:

It’s not actually being enforced though is it Keith? You do have the option to be able to opt out of attending any time you please. Of course that will bring problems down the line, but you still retain the freedom to choose.

Disclaimer; I too think the DCPC is bollox, but none of us are having guns (apart from metaphorically) held to our heads.

We are screwed, it will be the law that you need it to drive a certain class of vehicle, much like a licence and many people or companies can not afford to loose the man hours through the week so their only option is to offer weekends.

We as drivers just have to make the most of a bad situation that quite frankly we have no control over other than hanging up your keys in September :wink:

the maoster:
‘…It’s not actually being enforced … You do have the option to be able to opt out of attending … Of course that will bring problems down the line, but you still retain the freedom …’

Hmmm, the company ‘promised’ line is that if the modules are not complete because the driver declines (rest day) training then those drivers will have effectively made themselves unemployable - whereupon an Easty (with a kosher ticket?) gets my locker :frowning:

The original onus is on the driver to obtain the ticket not the company to supply the courses (unless its in a contract) those of us who get the courses through the company are the lucky ones saving a few bob, but if you left the company you would very likely have to find time and fund your own course when the entitlement runs out within five years.
So that would be a days 5 days wages and the cost of the courses out of your own pocket.

Can you not just be happy mr happy Keith, it is one day out your year. Where you are getting free training which most other folk need to pay for, but to boot your also getting a days wage. If you sum things up your life ain’t too bad is it?

How about being just a wee touch more flexible and a bit less militant then maybe some pole won’t nab your job a year down the line.

Deutschland, Deutschland ueber alles! :laughing: Keith you’re RIGHT :sunglasses: these screwdrivers DON’T SEE IT! :smiley: all we had to do is say " NO! " :wink: jog on YELLOWBELLIES. :grimacing:

merc0447:
Can you not just be happy mr happy Keith, it is one day out your year. Where you are getting free training which most other folk need to pay for, but to boot your also getting a days wage. If you sum things up your life ain’t too bad is it?

How about being just a wee touch more flexible and a bit less militant then maybe some pole won’t nab your job a year down the line.

You’d think so wouldn’t you? But the 1 thing that drivers are good at is moaning, and some are just professional whingers…

Fatboy slimslow:
Deutschland, Deutschland ueber alles! :laughing: Keith you’re RIGHT :sunglasses: these screwdrivers DON’T SEE IT! :smiley: all we had to do is say " NO! " :wink: jog on YELLOWBELLIES. :grimacing:

Absolutely spot on mate, and I for one eagerly await your first post in September on www.shelfstackernet.co.uk. :wink:

waynedl:

merc0447:
Can you not just be happy mr happy Keith,

You’d think so wouldn’t you? But the 1 thing that drivers are good at is moaning, and some are just professional whingers…

NOT ON PROFESSIONAL WAGES THOUGH! :sunglasses:

the maoster:

Fatboy slimslow:

Absolutely spot on mate, and I for one eagerly await your first post in September on shelfstackernet.co.uk. :wink:

lol :grimacing: I can retire now, after twenty five years, but I’ve NEVER HAD A TUG OFF VOSA/ ministry or police in that time! :sunglasses: so I might just take a chance! Read it and weep, non unionised YELLOWBELLIES say " YES! Insert ■■■■■, no lube needed! :laughing: "

the maoster:

Fatboy slimslow:

Absolutely spot on mate, and I for one eagerly await your first post in September on shelfstackernet.co.uk. :wink:

Or 1st where am I pic

Next to the cabbages in the veggie section in Morrisons. (Other shops are available) :wink:

:smiley: :smiley: :smiley: :smiley:

Looks like you have a choice, do the courses or put yourself on the dole. At least we will find out if you’re a man that stands up for his principles or just another blowhard.
Please attend the courses and tell us the instructor was French, or German, or even better Romanian.