mileage pay

crunchygear:

newmercman:
No is the simple answer.

However the ones that do better out here have all had experience of being away all week or longer. :wink:

I agree completely. If you have done some tramping on the continent it is basicly a case of “same [zb], different name on the door” when you start to work here, unless you start working for h&r and such as there is nothing, except maybe a taliban pow camp, that can prepare you to work there. :laughing:

Wise words :sunglasses:

Newmercman seen somewhere on here that you went over on a sort of working holiday.Does this mean you will retire in Canada.would you still see yourself chasing miles in your old age…( if your not already old).or driving something local round the houses maybe…

I initially came over as part of my midlife crisis. I thought I’d drive a fancy truck for a couple of years and then go back to the UK.

Then circumstances changed, I like it better over here, so I decided to stay.

There isn’t much in the way of decent local jobs, the ones that do exist are dead man’s boots, I don’t like locals much, never have.

So long haul it is, I don’t plan to change what I do, but as I get older and hopefully richer :laughing: I do plan to do less of it. Eventually something like a week on, week off job share type of thing.

I still enjoy driving lorries, been doing it for 27yrs now, so it seems that I’m never going to see sense :laughing:

Thanks guys for your replies
The reason I ask those questions was that I read somewhere, someone posted a message saying he was asked he needed at least 2 years European continental experience ,by a company in Canada he enquired about a driving job.

anon84679660:
Thanks guys for your replies
The reason I ask those questions was that I read somewhere, someone posted a message saying he was asked he needed at least 2 years European continental experience ,by a company in Canada he enquired about a driving job.

Some will ask for it, most aren’t bothered.

flat to the mat:

anon84679660:
Wouldn’t it be better for Taffy to stick it out with the red co?
He was there for at least a year, if I’m not mistaken, so another year and he would be having his PR. Even if the money wasn’t so good.

From what Taffy posted on here he hadn"t applied for PR so a year would be optimistic especially in AB .

I was at H&R for 11 months I was offered sponsorship for PR after 6 months but I could already see a small drop in miles so I knew I wasnt going to be there long, some of the guys there had been waiting for PR for 3 years so there was no way i was going to hang around there for that long. Soon as i got my new LMO I headed down to the border at Couts/Sweetgrass to change my work permit over.

Pick the company you come over very carefuly as new LMO’s can take upto 16 weeks to come through and you still gotta carry on working as bills still got to be paid.

pst…deadmans shoes…there will be a lot of drivers required round the st agathe ,morris area next yr due to 14kms of rebuilding and raising the northbound 75 …
tipper drivers etc,redi mix…etc…
not sure which outfit is main contracter yet.
jimmy.

flat to the mat:

anon84679660:
Wouldn’t it be better for Taffy to stick it out with the red co?
He was there for at least a year, if I’m not mistaken, so another year and he would be having his PR. Even if the money wasn’t so good.

From what Taffy posted on here he hadn"t applied for PR so a year would be optimistic especially in AB .

The AINP takes between 3 and 13 weeks at the moment and the PR application takes the same amount of time (currently 16 months) for everybody no matter what province you work in as all Provincial nominees get processed in Ottawa. So the only disadvantage of Alberta is that you are bound to the same employer throughout the entire process.

My PR took two and a half years, it started in Buffalo NY, then went to Seattle WA and finally ended up in Los Angeles CA.

Processing times are said to be 24 months on CIC website.

AFAIK it only gets processed in Ottawa if you’re already have landed status through marriage or family sponsorship, but I stand to be corrected.

When I did my PR in 2009/10 the PNP was decided and approved in Fredericton, NB, then it was sent to London as I had been in Canada for less than 12 months, at the time, those in the country for 12 months or longer were processed in Buffalo, NY. The medicals got sent to Ottawa to the immigration medical department and once approved got forwarded on to London. Now Buffalo has closed and all applications of British and Irish citizens go to London after PNP has been approved in province. I know this is the current case for NB as I’ve just had an Irish friend get his two months ago or so and an English friend is on the final stage having done his medical months back.

“So the only disadvantage of Alberta is that you are bound to the same employer throughout the entire process.”■■?

Now, this is getting confusing. Aren’t you bound to the same employer throughout the same process in any province/state you work and apply?
That’s what has been written on this thread a few days ago.
Or, maybe you actually CAN change your employer when living and working in SK or MB after applying for your PR while being employed by your first employer?

An last , are you guys saying PR applications for Canadian residency are being processed in the US? This can not be right, can it?

anon84679660:
“So the only disadvantage of Alberta is that you are bound to the same employer throughout the entire process.”???

Now, this is getting confusing. Aren’t you bound to the same employer throughout the same process in any province/state you work and apply?
That’s what has been written on this thread a few days ago.
Or, maybe you actually CAN change your employer when living and working in SK or MB after applying for your PR while being employed by your first employer?

An last , are you guys saying PR applications for Canadian residency are being processed in the US? This can not be right, can it?

In Alberta its the company that puts you forward for their PNP program (AINP I think?) and if they dont like you, your face doesn’t fit etc they wont put you forward, so you have no control over your future after having moved youtself and maybe even your family out there. In every other province, as far as I’m aware, certainly in New Brunswick where I live, you nominate yourself, all you need from your company is a permanent contract of employment, not a 12/24 month contract etc. Even in NB you’re supposed to stay with the same employer until you get PR but thats not absolutely concrete. If you hate your job and really want to change, you can go and see the folks in the NB PNP office in Fredericton (provincial capital) and tell them why you want to leave and where you want to go, and provided the new company has also issued you with the same permanent contract as the first and a letter of offer of employment etc then the PNP office will issue you another PNP certificate with the new employers information on it so you can obtain a new work permit without the necesity of an LMO. Now this is how it was when I applied in 2009/10, things are always changing so it could be different. One thing I will say is that I personally know 3 or 4 drivers who have been at various stages of their PNP/PR application and have changed jobs before getting PR and it didn’t affect a thing, but again, this is in NB, not AB, SK or MB.

Finally, PR applications are sent to immigration offices that are outside of Canada. Most will go to London in England for British and Irish citizens, Dutch and German citizens get sent to Berlin for example. Buffalo, NY is just across the border at Niagara Falls from Canada had a large visa office or such like and PR applications used to get sent there for those who had been in Canada for 12 months or longer, 12 months or less got sent to the embassy of your home country. Buffalo has since closed and at the moment, as far as I’m aware, all British citizens are having their applications forwarded on to London once PNP has been issued in their resident province. There has (or had) been a backlog of cases due to the Buffalo shut down and apparently there was some kind of strike in the London office a short while ago which has delayed things further but its otherwise business as usual.

What ever way you do it, it cant be worse than some of the work here in south wales is paying at the moment…Still think I would have liked to have tried Canada circumstances were never right …What I do know is that wherever you are if you are prepared to “work” you will always make a bit better living for yourselves …

That is very true, most firms I’ve worked at have all had a right way to do things and a wrong way, I’ve had very good jobs at very bad firms by learning how to play the game, 99.9999% of the time that has been by grafting :bulb:

I’m not a teacher’s pet, not at all, in fact I’m a bloody nightmare if I feel I’m not being treated right, I’ve had many hours of fun getting on my bosses ■■■■ when I feel the need for vengeance, often staying for a few weeks after I wanted to leave, just to annoy them and I don’t have a problem with saying no, or words to that effect that are usually followed by ‘off’. :imp:

A bit of graft will do you more favours than arse licking ever will, it also allows you to get away with the odd balls up too :wink:

What do you guys know about this outfit.
classicfreight.ca/index.html
They’ve placed an advert in the “Driver vacancies” section of this site
viewtopic.php?f=22&t=104553

i worked at one company that paid by the mile they always paid the miles recorded from the trailer hubmeter for obvious reasons :grimacing:

the flying foden:
i worked at one company that paid by the mile they always paid the miles recorded from the trailer hubmeter for obvious reasons :grimacing:

Barstewards :laughing:

On the cic website you’ll find that the Ottawa office is processing the PR applications send from within the US or Canada from people with legal status in Canada for example with student visa or temporary work visa.

My mate has just got his PR 2 weeks ago & it took him 2 years 2 months. He got an email 12 months ago saying his paperwork was being transferred to Ottawa & being fast-tracked.
They are also extending the medical’s now if you run over the 12 months.

Also & I don’t know if it’s been mentioned before, you don’t send your passports off no more, they just send you the paperwork & you go straight to the border.