mileage pay

My medicals were held over, I did them 18 months before getting PR.

You still have to send scan copies of passports, so it takes the same time, but you can still cross the border while it’s being processed :wink:

My case wasn’t completely straightforward, I had to provide reams of extra paperwork and answer a ton of extra questions, but all in all it took 26 months from start to finish.

The final six months were to and fro with the extra questions and document requests, so that means it’s a two year process under normal circumstances.

Next step citizenship, I’m already qualified to apply, it’s meant to make PR look easy, deep joy :laughing:

Where I work now mileage pay dont bother me. I had a fairly quiet week due to pick ups being closed for stock take and not telling anyone till I was at the dock gates then another place wanting to overload me which ended up with me driving out of the gates but then I got my work load for next week and I gotta go like a bat outta hell to get it done. So some companies will make your miles up the following week if you have a slow week one week if you pick the right company :wink: :wink: :wink:

Usually average 3000kms in my 4 day shift . This week saw 2860 and I was done by 10 am on day 4 , paid for a full days work though :smiley: . Boss phoned to say payroll had missed my holiday pay(40 hrs) from my previous shift and to make it up he’d pay me double for this week , not too shabby .

Miles have never been hard to come by at my place, but ■■■■ happens sometimes and it can happen for a complete month :cry:

A couple of years ago I got stuck in a mad snow storm in Chicago, I lost a couple of days to that, got unloaded and then an ice storm closed it all down again for another two days, four day’s lost production at my reload meant a two day wait to get going again, so it took me ten days to do a 1500 mile trip :cry:

You can’t run hard enough to make up for that, not in a four week month, I had two days off before that trip and because I had the pox of it, I had two days off when I got back, so half the month was a wash out :cry:

We get layover pay though, it’s not as much as we get for a full driving day, but it makes a huge difference to the wages when things go wrong, my wage that month was only a little bit less than it would’ve been had I not had any problems :sunglasses:

It’s the extras that make a big difference. This week I’ve only done a Calgary round trip, but an extra 10cpm for a hazmat load on the way out and an extra $160 for an overnighter with three drops on the way back will pay me almost the same as doing a full week’s driving…Kerrrrching :sunglasses:

so do the big companies .as in the big red trucks not pay this waiting time coz if they do it cant be all bad… and do they H&R pay all loading and tipping holiday pay etc…

cliffystephens:
so do the big companies .as in the big red trucks not pay this waiting time coz if they do it cant be all bad… and do they H&R pay all loading and tipping holiday pay etc…

Holiday pay whats that lmaooo when i was at H&R it was common they would park you up for 22 hrs then all of a sudden find a load for you so they wouldnt have to pay layover that was a fave of theirs and sometimes was a fight to get a layover even if sat for over 24 hrs and even then you had to double check payroll put in your wages

one here for you taffy talking to an owens llanelli driver on the weekend and he tells me he is paid the grand sum of £65 per day … and does a lot of 12/14 hour days…

cliffystephens:
one here for you taffy talking to an owens llanelli driver on the weekend and he tells me he is paid the grand sum of £65 per day … and does a lot of 12/14 hour days…

I was always on about £75-80 per day in England, with £20-25 per night out and other small bonuses. I always used to take home about £430 for a 5 day and 4 night out week, more if I worked on the weekend or got weekended coming back from Swiss. I often earn the same or even less than that in equivalent Canadian dollars, but I do a darn sight more hours and miles for it here. You come by your money much harder in Canada, which is why so many jack in and go home, especially on this side of the country but I do enjoy my life here so I put up with it. I don’t think I’m really any better off financially in Canada, I work more, I’m away longer but I do love New Brunswick as a place to live so it’ll do for now. Moving back to England at some point in the future isn’t out of the question, I have nothing against the place as such, its just a polar opposite to Canada and sometimes I like what Canada has to offer in the way of lifestyle outside of work and sometimes I want what England has to offer, with more regular hours and pay that doesn’t differ so much due to miles or lack of. Its swings and roundabouts.

cliffystephens:

Did some agency work for them before coming out here and never again. Often would get mission impossible on a night shift and get to drive the van back to the yard in the morning as run out of hrs so as i left it was going to court that i got caught speeding near Ross on Wye in the van but couldnt have been me driving as i was out of hrs so must have been my chauffeur

taffy trucker so what would happen with that .would it go to court without you .and if you come back here on hols I assume you can drive on Canadian licence so no one would be any the wiser■■?..

cliffystephens:
taffy trucker so what would happen with that .would it go to court without you .and if you come back here on hols I assume you can drive on Canadian licence so no one would be any the wiser■■?..

TBH cliffy not sure what would happen. Yea i no longer got a UK licence as you gotta surrender it when you get here as its against the law to hold more then one licence

When I went back for a visit I was dying to get pulled over so I could give plod my Canadian licence and politely wish them good luck trying to give me points :laughing:

so if you came back “permanently” have you got to do tests again or is it simply a case of reapplying for car/hgv licence…

No send Canadian licence to dvla get a uk one back. And it’s free