Mileage allowance

Noremac:
so I don’t know what parallels you are drawing.

I’m simply making one point: messing with insurance companies can lead to unnecessary complications that can affect your ability to work as a vocational driver.

I don’t care what people do with their own licences, but they at least ought to have an idea of what risks they are taking.

Besides, I was under the impression (from what he reported himself) that Dozy was in such generally poor health he might not even have had an HGV entitlement any more or might not be concerned about doing DCPC again.

Unless the contract with the employer requires the employee to work at alternative sites then however attractive 45p a mile may seem don’t do it. If you work it out properly then it is actually costing you roughly that amount anyway. More importantly If you have an accident, your car breaks down, or you get a puncture then it is your problem - and expense to rectify. Furthermore some companies will take the view that you failed to turn up on time so will deduct the delay time from your wages.

When the Company provides the vehicle all problems and expense are down to the company to resolve, while you get paid as usual.

simcor:
Agency drivers who work at different places will require business insurance. Most do not bother but will then complain if involved in an accident and the Insurance refuses to pay out.

Sent from my CPH2173 using Tapatalk

I had business insurance on my car insurance for that very reason, don’t need it any more because I only work at one place and have done for the last 9 years - it’s even part of my contract with the agency that’s the only place they send me. It never cost me any more to have it than not have it so it seemed daft not to take it. It’s mainly when you’re carrying goods for profit, doing courier work or fast food delivery that business insurance gets expensive but the basic entry level required for visiting clients, carrying own stuff etc is dirt cheap if you need to pay extra for it at all.

Got back ok