Mileage allowance

I may of titled that wrong , so if you use your car for work what is the going rate per mile , all I can find & not sure it’s relevant, is 40 p/m for first 10000 miles , think it was 25 p per mile after business use , ta
Nb before some idiot comes along with they should provide transport , they have , a minibus , but I want to get back ASAP as last shift , not 55 mph for 100 miles + , so taking my car

dozy:
I may of titled that wrong , so if you use your car for work what is the going rate per mile , all I can find & not sure it’s relevant, is 40 p/m for first 10000 miles , think it was 25 p per mile after business use , ta
Nb before some idiot comes along with they should provide transport , they have , a minibus , but I want to get back ASAP as last shift , not 55 mph for 100 miles + , so taking my car

Is this a new venture? Amazon . . pizza deliveries . . :confused: Dont forget to change your insurance

You’ll get…

Nothing if you take your car when they’ve provided a minibus.

Is Dozy using HappyTrucker1 as another alias?

There’s a lot of miles between Grantham, Rugby and Benidorm. This time next year, he’ll be a millionaire.

Though with fuel prices as they are it might take a little longer than anticipated

dozy:
, all I can find & not sure it’s relevant, is 40 p/m for first 10000 miles , think it was 25 p per mile after business use , ta

Yes, that’s the maximum you can receive and not be taxed on it (obvs 10k is an annual limit for the tax year).
But the going rate is whatever your employer is willing to offer/whatever you demand from your employer.

Edit: corrected by Santa

HMRC allow you to claim 45p per mile for the first 10k miles in a year and 25p after that, tax-free. Of course, your employer can pay you whatever they like.

Of course that allowance is for business miles and commuting is not a claimable business mileage.

I agree that by offering free transport, your employer has negated any claim you may have for the cost of travel.

dozy:

45p per mile for the first 10,000 miles. If they don’t pay you then you have to claim it and you get tax relief so if you claimed 1000 miles you’d not get 1000x45p=£450, you’d get tax relief of £450 so you’d actually only get a cheque from HMRC for 20% of that as a basic rate tax payer so £112.50. So in your case of 100 miles that’d be £11.25.

HOWEVER commuting isn’t claimable and there’s no rules that set a limit on the amount of mileage that can be classed as commuting.

Also if you’re claiming business mileage that means it’s not a social, domestic, pleasure or commuting journey so you won’t be insured unless you have business use on your policy.

yourhavingalarf:
You’ll get…

I thought that too

Suedehead:

dozy:

Is this a new venture? Amazon . . pizza deliveries . . :confused: Dont forget to change your insurance

It’s a cpc course

yourhavingalarf:
You’ll get…

There paying door - door & paying 25 ppm , and there is a mini bus , though at a guess if enough decide to use there own cars then maybe they won’t need the mini bus , no idea , but boss was ok with using car , said upto you
I just wanted to know if 25 ppm was the going rate , I’ve always just put in a fuel receipt previously ( old jobs ) £20/£30

peirre:
There’s a lot of miles between Grantham, Rugby and Benidorm. This time next year, he’ll be a millionaire.

Though with fuel prices as they are it might take a little longer than anticipated

Well unlike previous cpc whilst on agency , where it was payfor course , day in classroom not getting paid , fuel not being paid , a free cup of tea though , I’m a employed driver now my cpc is paid for , paid door - door , fuel paid , £10
For food , so doubt I’ll make a millionaire, but I’m more happy with doing cpc whilst employed than agency
Been to Ibiza this year , canaries sept , can’t go
Xmas as unlike agency limited on hols , rugby I guess you mean visit auntie who lives there , her son wants to put her in a home , I’m staying out of it , just visit & do some gardening
How will your cpc be as agency , put up in a 6 star hotel , limousine from hotel to course , ala carte lunch , then plane home , that’s if you’ve not already retired with your gold plated agency pension !!

stu675:

dozy:
, all I can find & not sure it’s relevant, is 40 p/m for first 10000 miles , think it was 25 p per mile after business use , ta

Yes, that’s the maximum you can receive and not be taxed on it (obvs 10k is an annual limit for the tax year).
But the going rate is whatever your employer is willing to offer/whatever you demand from your employer.

Edit: corrected by Santa

Thanks stu

Santa:
HMRC allow you to claim 45p per mile for the first 10k miles in a year and 25p after that, tax-free. Of course, your employer can pay you whatever they like.

Of course that allowance is for business miles and commuting is not a claimable business mileage.

I agree that by offering free transport, your employer has negated any claim you may have for the cost of travel.

Thanks , boss is fine with using your car even though there is a mini bus available , said he’d pay 25 ppm for fuel & pay door - door , maybe if we all use our cars they won’t need to hire mini bus ?

Conor:

dozy:

45p per mile for the first 10,000 miles. If they don’t pay you then you have to claim it and you get tax relief so if you claimed 1000 miles you’d not get 1000x45p=£450, you’d get tax relief of £450 so you’d actually only get a cheque from HMRC for 20% of that as a basic rate tax payer so £112.50. So in your case of 100 miles that’d be £11.25.

HOWEVER commuting isn’t claimable and there’s no rules that set a limit on the amount of mileage that can be classed as commuting.

Also if you’re claiming business mileage that means it’s not a social, domestic, pleasure or commuting journey so you won’t be insured unless you have business use on your policy.

It’s just commuting too cpc course & back , boss said 25 ppm , I just wondered if it was the going rate , as I’m sure I just put a fuel receipt in for £20/£30
On expenses at previous jobs , I’ve got 5 cpc courses to get in before sept 24 so I’d imagine they would be the only times I’d get paid fuel / use my car for work related use

md1987:

yourhavingalarf:
You’ll get…

I thought that too

He is paying it , I explained I wanted to get home , not muck about with a minibus , fetching car when I get back as course starts 9 am & he wants me to do a extra shift fri , so said if it’s late when I get back I won’t be doing a extra shift , so he said use your car , I’ll pay you door to door , 25 ppm fuel so you can / will do extra shift fir me
Though as I’ve said before if everyone wants / takes there cars I guess he’s not got expense of hiring a minibus

With very few exceptions driving to / from work in your own car does not get tax relief.
Once you’ve got to work then asked to drive elsewhere in your own car could be liable to tax relief, but also needs business insurance

md1987:

yourhavingalarf:
You’ll get…

I thought that too

I’ll third that. And you’d need business insurance on your car to do it in the first place, as it’s not the regular work destination.

Food delivery drivers fall foul of not being insured as don’t have business insurance so when the RPU pull them over and the car has five pizzas you would be arguing with them that the food is for private use when indeed it’s not.

My old lady was told she needed business insurance for having three different school jobs so if they asked her to take something to one premises to the other and was rewarded that needs business insurance and she would have not insured if had third party only or comprehensive.

I think some are putting 2+2 = 5 , it’s mileage allowance for travelling too/ from cpc course , I only highlighted business as thats that’s all I could find
Anyway it’s seems it’s what company will pay , in this case 25 ppm , so £10 for 40 mile r/trip , about cover it I’d guess , ta again