Mileage allowance

Henry Stephens:
Is Dozy using HappyTrucker1 as another alias?

Is happy trucker 1 not a ted !! , if so there’s no way in this world I’d be a ted , as they say I’d rather be dead than a red
Apologies if I’ve got the wrong poster

No problem Dozer, the other one wrote similar to your style.

Henry Stephens:
Food delivery drivers fall foul of not being insured as don’t have business insurance so when the RPU pull them over and the car has five pizzas you would be arguing with them that the food is for private use when indeed it’s not.

Yes, I knew one driver who did just that, ended up with an IN10, he was lucky to find an employer to give him a start, most would not

I hear a lot of these scooter riders delivering food are not insured and some were caught for immigration legalities as in they shouldn’t have been in the country, probably not insured, no VED or MOT on their dilapidated and tatterdemalion machines that have seen better days.

dozy:
I think some are putting 2+2 = 5 , it’s mileage allowance for travelling too/ from cpc course , I only highlighted business

They’re not putting 2+2=5, they’re going on the information you gave in the post. If you didn’t tell the whole story or told one that meant something completely different you’ll get a different answer.

If they’re only paying 25ppm you can put in a claim for the difference between what they pay and the HMRC rate, 20p per mile. But as I said before it’ll come as tax relief so you’ll only get 20% of what you claim.

If it was me and I know you’re not me but I’d take advantage of the minibus. Why put wear and tear on your car when you don’t have to just to get home a few minutes sooner. :sunglasses:

dozy:
I think some are putting 2+2 = 5 , it’s mileage allowance for travelling too/ from cpc course , I only highlighted business as thats that’s all I could find
Anyway it’s seems it’s what company will pay , in this case 25 ppm , so £10 for 40 mile r/trip , about cover it I’d guess , ta again

Check your insurance policy. It will most likely state travelling to and from a permanent place of work. It does not cover you to travel to other sites of the business or for travelling to courses for example most likely. You have been told but yet argue with people. Unless your insurance specifically covers you for something then you are likely not covered for it.

People also think a fully comp policy means you can drive other cars 3rd party. It used to be the case that the majority of FC policies did but now lots don’t. Unless it specifically states you are covered to drive other cars then you are not covered to do so.

Why do you think big companies provide hire cars and or minibuses for such things. As they know it is unlikely to be covered on your insurance and they have a duty of care to not expect and allow you to break the law.

Sent from my CPH2173 using Tapatalk

remy:
If it was me and I know you’re not me but I’d take advantage of the minibus. Why put wear and tear on your car when you don’t have to just to get home a few minutes sooner. :sunglasses:

It won’t be mins though , I’m sure 1 will want a ■■■ before we leave , another will want a coffee on way back etc etc , then you’ve got to go back to the yard to fetch car before going home
And the sooner I get back thurs the earlier I can start fri & finish fri
Taking mrs car which is a 66 plate with 23 ,000 on clock so a few miles isn’t going to matter , to be honest it could do with a run as does 2 miles r/trip to hospital most days

simcor:

dozy:
I think some are putting 2+2 = 5 , it’s mileage allowance for travelling too/ from cpc course , I only highlighted business as thats that’s all I could find
Anyway it’s seems it’s what company will pay , in this case 25 ppm , so £10 for 40 mile r/trip , about cover it I’d guess , ta again

Check your insurance policy. It will most likely state travelling to and from a permanent place of work. It does not cover you to travel to other sites of the business or for travelling to courses for example most likely. You have been told but yet argue with people. Unless your insurance specifically covers you for something then you are likely not covered for it.

People also think a fully comp policy means you can drive other cars 3rd party. It used to be the case that the majority of FC policies did but now lots don’t. Unless it specifically states you are covered to drive other cars then you are not covered to do so.

Why do you think big companies provide hire cars and or minibuses for such things. As they know it is unlikely to be covered on your insurance and they have a duty of care to not expect and allow you to break the law.

Where have I argued with anyone ? , I’m on mrs insurance & she’s on mine so can use either car , it’s got commute to place of work on both policy’s ,I’d of thought a cpc would be classed as part of your job , as if you haven’t got it you can’t legally drive
I drove from Grantham - Newark / Mansfield to do cpc,s when on agency , how else would you do it , I’ve no doubt Pierre gets chauffeured round by his agency , but I doubt anyone else would get transport provided by there agency , I
certainly didn’t .
Years ago I did grantham - Sherburn/ crick to do cpc when employed , they just paid door - door , fuel , there was no offer of minibus / car , only time I can remember getting a car was when I was at Newark , they gave me a car to commute to carforth truck stop & work from there , then commute back Friday
Maybe I’m wrong , but I can’t see insurance having a issue with using your car for a coc course

Conor:

dozy:
I think some are putting 2+2 = 5 , it’s mileage allowance for travelling too/ from cpc course , I only highlighted business

They’re not putting 2+2=5, they’re going on the information you gave in the post. If you didn’t tell the whole story or told one that meant something completely different you’ll get a different answer.

If they’re only paying 25ppm you can put in a claim for the difference between what they pay and the HMRC rate, 20p per mile. But as I said before it’ll come as tax relief so you’ll only get 20% of what you claim.

My first words were I may of got the title wrong !! , you didn’t seriously think I was going to statt a business , I said that’ the 45 ppm rate was all I could find
And I’m right to say some are comming up with 2*2 = 5 when some are on about pizza delivery businesses etc

Oh no, dozy is failing to heed insurance advice, when he sought no such advice in the first place, the world is going to end, oh no. The insurance police will be after him for commuting to a different place than usual. :astonished: :open_mouth:

40p per mile seems quite a lot, but I think it is designed to cover your complete costs of providing the vehicle, including tax, insurance, MOT, tyre wear, depreciation, fuel etc etc.

If you are being offered 25p per mile for a 40 mile round-trip it maybe isn’t completely correct, but then again it is a one-off and the money you are talking about is probably the price of a steak bake and a coffee out of Greggs, so not exactly life-changing.

Not quite getting what the scaremongers are talking about here regards insurance. A permanent place of work is neither here nor there, as agency drivers travel to different sites all the time. The only thing in this instance that perhaps makes the area a bit grey, is the fact that you are being paid door-to-door. However, you are not travelling between two sites during the day, so I believe it could still be classed as commuting.

Are we to believe, that those that criticise on here are holier than thou? Hmmmm

simcor:

dozy:

^^^^^^^This
And, if there’s enough drivers to make hiring a minibus worthwhile, they could have had the TP deliver the course at the company premises.

CPC course, is there a reason you can’t do it online, that would save you driving, asking questions, trying to save money, not being late back, wear and tear, god the list just goes on,
For the hassle just because you’re agencie is paying I would rather pay for it myself, it would probably balance itself out, they are so cheap now

I’m sure there’s a course provider on here who would do it over the 'net so Dozy wouldn’t even have to leave his house-of course that would mean no Greggs(other pasty providers are available)!

Noremac:
Not quite getting what the scaremongers are talking about here regards insurance. A permanent place of work is neither here nor there,

It may depend on the specific insurer, this article suggests SDP+C wouldn’t be enough
confused.com/car-insurance/ … -of-use#11

For an HGV driver, the risk outweighs any benefit. If there is any possiblity an insurance company could interpret the rules in order to avoid paying out in the event of an accident, you know they would do it. Hey preston! IN10 at the very least, which might potentially be a problem for your employer

Noremac:
Oh no, dozy is failing to heed insurance advice, when he sought no such advice in the first place, the world is going to end, oh no. The insurance police will be after him for commuting to a different place than usual. :astonished: :open_mouth:

40p per mile seems quite a lot, but I think it is designed to cover your complete costs of providing the vehicle, including tax, insurance, MOT, tyre wear, depreciation, fuel etc etc.

If you are being offered 25p per mile for a 40 mile round-trip it maybe isn’t completely correct, but then again it is a one-off and the money you are talking about is probably the price of a steak bake and a coffee out of Greggs, so not exactly life-changing.

Not quite getting what the scaremongers are talking about here regards insurance. A permanent place of work is neither here nor there, as agency drivers travel to different sites all the time. The only thing in this instance that perhaps makes the area a bit grey, is the fact that you are being paid door-to-door. However, you are not travelling between two sites during the day, so I believe it could still be classed as commuting.

Are we to believe, that those that criticise on here are holier than thou? Hmmmm

Agency drivers who work at different places will require business insurance. Most do not bother but will then complain if involved in an accident and the Insurance refuses to pay out.

simcor:
Agency drivers who work at different places will require business insurance. Most do not bother but will then complain if involved in an accident and the Insurance refuses to pay out.

In that scenario I doubt very much that the insurance company employ fashion police to check if you were wearing a uniform and you’d have to be as dumb as a bag of rocks to not simply say “I was just out for a drive on my day off”.

the maoster:

simcor:

In that scenario I doubt very much that the insurance company employ fashion police to check if you were wearing a uniform and you’d have to be as dumb as a bag of rocks to not simply say “I was just out for a drive on my day off”.

Insurance companies do have investigation teams that will Investigate everything to try and avoid a pay out. And most people are so dumb all the proof needed is available online. That’s my point.

simcor:

dozy:

Attending a CPC course is purely social purposes. It is your personal responsibility as a driver to do these courses, they are not a requirement of your employer, any help, assistance or allowances from your employer is just a bonus

^^^I refer Messrs Zac_A and simcor to my earlier post.

I would be inclined to think that a single place of work means that during the course of the working day the car (or motorcycle) stays where it is and doesn’t move between sites.

I honestly don’t know if an IN10 is the result if an insurance company finds a premium paid to be inadequate. What is your source on that one? Or is it scaremongering again?