Magnets, it pays if not a uk citizen

I have just read the article in roadtransport.com and i am disgusted at the following extract:-

n October 2009, Moldovan truck driver Ivan Kayryak pleaded guilty at Rochdale Magistrates Court to knowingly falsifying digitally recorded data.

The court was told that the 40-tonne artic, operated by Romania-based Avis Tran and driven by Kayryak, was stopped by VOSA officers at the junction of the A627M and the M62 in Lancashire.

Analysis of data from the vehicle’s digital tachograph revealed no driving being recorded at the time the vehicle entered the check site. VOSA examiners found a magnet attached to the sender unit at the gearbox, and police later arrested Kayryak on suspicion of falsifying digital data. He was ordered to pay a £100 fine, prosecution costs of £85 and a £15 victim surcharge.

Could someone please explain why a British driver can be fined up to £10,000, could receive a custodial sentence and lose their licence/livelihood under European rules, yet a Rumanian who also should work under the same European laws, gets a paltry fine as the quote above,

Some of us are proud/professional drivers who feel angry at the “cowboys “who are still out there bringing the profession into disrepute. The “cowboy” drivers and companies, whether British or foreign, are also putting the decent drivers and companies at an unfair disadvantage, those who are doing it legally are paying out more than the “cowboys” but are being paid the same rates.

British drivers who use interruption devices to beat the system should be ashamed of themselves and should appreciate the conditions we work under today. Our working conditions are far superior than previous years, and decent drivers who have been doing the job for many years will I am sure be grateful for the sleep and rest we now take for granted, in general it is a better and cleaner job. Younger drivers will probably not understand what I am talking about!

Also the same offence at Niort in France, cost a Driver that i know 9000 euros, and this is the level of fine that will be applied for this type of offence in Euroland.

Clic on this link to read the article
roadtransport.com/Articles/2 … cheats.htm

Hi Klunk

You only need to look at the recent case in scotland of mtl transport to see that this is the norm over in the uk for foreign drivers as it is easier for vosa to kick the uk drivers ■■■■ and less hassle for them in the process :unamused:

why worry about a few fiddling with magnets, the biggest fiddle is not putting in manual entries :exclamation: :exclamation: :exclamation: :exclamation: [,amazes me how mny drivers do 16/18/18.5 hrs and they think its o.k because they think there day starts when they put there card in not when they turn up for work. :exclamation: :exclamation:
:exclamation:

I am not even close to defending this guy, but I think that 200 quids for MOLDAVIAN can as much as few good grands for Briton…

[zb] sad how d’ya do a poxy 3rd world none EU Moldovian driving a 3rd world EU members wagon & having to run bent what the [zb] is this EU all about? When will we see sense & get to ■■■■ out of it & leave them lot across The Channel to get on with there big community madness. Orys I hear what your saying mate but ■■■■ him coming over here carrying on like that.

Thats better.

Fly sheet

if you notice it says the driver was moldovan not romanian so he won’t get done like the rest of us as he’s not european, also he shouldn’t have been allowed to enter the country at calais as he is a non european unless he has a visa.
we have a ukranian and he can’t enter uk or gib which is a pain for the rest of us but cushty for him :imp:

I’m well aware where Moldovia is & that its not in the EU hence I wrote “non EU Moldovian” in my post, is what your saying that as he’s a non european he should’nt be fined as much as if he was from a member state? One would assume that VOSA would have checked his status here & if it turned out he was an “Illegal” he would have been detained.

Fly sheet

fly sheet:
I’m well aware where Moldovia is & that its not in the EU hence I wrote “non EU Moldovian” in my post, is what your saying that as he’s a non european he should’nt be fined as much as if he was from a member state? One would assume that VOSA would have checked his status here & if it turned out he was an “Illegal” he would have been detained.

Fly sheet

That’s the good point. If you go to the country, when the fines are bloody expensive for you, you should be even more obiding to the law.

I did not tried to defend it, it was just off the topic, that for him even that can be a lot.

Your bang on there orys I’d no sooner jump off a cliff then drive down the M62 running bent. I think he got off lightly I dread to think what it would have been in France or Basque area of Spain.

Me thinks the good Moldovian may be more aware of doing such things in future :smiley:

Fly sheet

Well for those of you who missed it last time I posted it, this case had better results…

thisisscunthorpe.co.uk/news/ … ticle.html

The problem is, many magistrates etc do not have a good understanding of the implications of false records hence small fines / sentences. The guy in the Killingholme case had 46 hours of break recorded prior to his 4 minutes of driving. And he could well have been driving solid all that time. So at least it was dealt with the way it was in that case…

fly sheet:

Fly sheet

Do we really need any more thick immigrants, illegal or otherwise :laughing:

telegraph.co.uk/news/uknews/ … s-jet.html

simple solution to anyone from the UK who runs with a magnet, get a hard copy of the article and if the judge/VOSA gives you a bigger fine, show them the article and ask for justification :wink:

fly sheet:

Fly sheet

I wasn’t pointing out what you said more what the OP was saying

klunk/■■■■■■■■
Could someone please explain why a British driver can be fined up to £10,000, could receive a custodial sentence and lose their licence/livelihood under European rules, yet a Rumanian who also should work under the same European laws, gets a paltry fine as the quote above

And i thought magnets had gone bust :blush: :blush: Shows what i know :laughing: :laughing:

Although i dont condemn drivers who use magnets for their own gain, whether from outside the eu or not, there are a lot of uk/irish companies who run just as bent, with or without a magnet. My truck is limited to 56 mph, and i thought that it was an eu directive, obviously i was wrong, for every day there are lots of foreign/irish/uk trucks that sail past me and the speeds are over 56mph, and in a lot of cases i would guess at closer to 60mph.
I think that the Moldova driver was fined according to his means to pay, or based upon the national wage in his country, so i think his fine was probably right, whether you think that or not it doesnt matter, but…he was caught, and punished.

Bearing in mind the drivers who have condemned the actions of Vosa, for what seems like a trivial fine, bear in mind the punishments we uk international drivers used to laugh at when we got caught breaking the law abroad…drink driving…speeding…insufficient breaks…no daily rest…overloading…bald tyres…excessive oil leaks…diesel leaks…running on red diesel…running with bent permits…these are just a few offences that i have heard about,and not what i have been found guilty for, so all in all…we all do things we shouldnt do, and if we get punished lightly…so be it…and as orys said…that fine was indeed a great deal of money to that driver, and no doubt had to pay it from his own pocket.

truckyboy:
I think that the Moldova driver was fined according to his means to pay, or based upon the national wage in his country, so i think his fine was probably right, whether you think that or not it doesnt matter, but…he was caught, and punished.

But although I made the point that for him that might be a lot, I would like also to note, that this is unfair.

Because punishement is usually done under the laws and commons of the country when the crime was commited. Remember the Polish guy accused of ■■■■ and murder, who got life? He’ll now spend his life behind the bar in Poland (at Polish taxpayer expense) even though the maximum that he can get for such a crime in Poland (under that circumstances) is 25 years or even less. I can fully understand that if he wqould be given 25 years, becose that’s what he should get in Poland, there would be an outrage here, as the British for the same could spend life in jail.

So we should agree once for good: do we punish people under the law from the country they are citizens of, or under the law of the country when the crime was commited.

I think the second option should be done. If you go to Saudi Arabia and drink alcohol in public, you should not be over the law only because it’s legal in France…

The only option when his wages should be considered is when the penalty is based on income, as in some scandinavian countries or on switzerland - because in this case this apply to everyone.

Here, in Britain this is not the case. If I will be caught speeding, I will have to pay 60, and noone will give me any discount even though I am only on casual agency jobs at crap rate and some of you are making 30 000 +… 60 for everyone, that’s the justice.

hang them lynch them :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

I think a dictionary should have been used in Truckyboys post :laughing:

Start with Cond****

One means to overlook or forgive bad behaviour, or to treat it as unimportant; a woman is said to cond her husband’s adultery if she continues to live with him as his wife although she knows what is going on. It can be used to mean ‘agree to’ (perhaps reluctantly), or ‘acquiesce’. If using cond in this sense note that it implies a certain amount of shared guilt in failing to punish or prevent something:

The other cond means to confer some sort of eternal divine punishment upon others. An act or expression of it or disapproval, especially on moral grounds.

It is called a Malapropism and Hilda Baker was famous for them :laughing:

He knows, Ya know! :stuck_out_tongue:

ckyboy - Didnt you know your allowed to do up to 60mph on a Mway here in the UK? So dont cry because UK/Foreign?Irish go by you like a ton of bricks… Its the norm.

welshboyinspain:

fly sheet:

Fly sheet

I wasn’t pointing out what you said more what the OP was saying

klunk/■■■■■■■■
Could someone please explain why a British driver can be fined up to £10,000, could receive a custodial sentence and lose their licence/livelihood under European rules, yet a Rumanian who also should work under the same European laws, gets a paltry fine as the quote above

My mistake Chap :confused:

Fly sheet