M40 Pile Up [MERGED]

nickyboy:

Terry T:
Another truck friendly diversion from our friends in the HA.

All traffic is advised to leave the M40 northbound at J9 and follow the solid circle symbol. Take the A34 southbound to the junction with the B430. Take the B430 northbound through Weston-on-the-Green and Ardley to rejoin the M40 at J10.

Weston is weight restricted to 7.5t.

No it’s not.

If you’re coming from Weston to the A34, the bridge over to the Southbound A34 is 7.5t limited but that’s all. You have to go North, around Jct 9 then back down to avoid it. Coming off the A34 to cut across to Jct 10 is not restricted

As long as your following the solid circle your on a designated route suitable for all types and size (normal) vehicles ie full weight height length and width.

nickyboy:

Terry T:

All traffic is advised to leave the M40 northbound at J9 and follow the solid circle symbol. Take the A34 southbound to the junction with the B430. Take the B430 northbound through Weston-on-the-Green and Ardley to rejoin the M40 at J10.

No it’s not.

If you’re coming from Weston to the A34, the bridge over to the Southbound A34 is 7.5t limited but that’s all. You have to go North, around Jct 9 then back down to avoid it. Coming off the A34 to cut across to Jct 10 is not restricted. There is also no restriction on traffic coming off the southbound A34

Fair enough. Never took the route myself, just remember seeing that sign. Bit misleading isn’t it.

You mean this bridge.

Will have to remember that one.

Terry T:
You mean this bridge.

I don’t see a bridge there!

Well, the sign indicates the bridge in question is 200 yards to the left.

I believe (and I could be wrong) that when an emergency diversion is in place all weight limits are lifted, not sure how this affects bridges though if extra permission has to be given that a weight restricted bridge can cope with the traffic or if HGV’s have to be parked up or turned round.

Thats said this is a nonsense compared to the sad loss of life that has taken place today.

Terry T:

The HA are right. It’s a one way weight limit, you cant cross the bridge from Weston to go Southbound A34. You can exit A34 Southbound as the HA say and cross the bridge into Weston, no problem.
It’s simply a NIMBY limit, almost pointless now with the new linkroad near Kingmere at Bicester.

Dipper_Dave:
I believe (and I could be wrong) that when an emergency diversion is in place all weight limits are lifted, not sure how this affects bridges though if extra permission has to be given that a weight restricted bridge can cope with the traffic or if HGV’s have to be parked up or turned round.

We’ve had situations where roads (not a motorway) have been closed and the police have diverted one of our double deckers down a road with a low bridge on. It then becomes a game of who do you blame as the police then had to attend to ■■■■■■ him back down the road.

If a copper tells you to take a route then a lot of drivers will just take it. Personally I still think there’s no excuse to stop looking at road signs just because plod said you’ll be OK but it’s easy to see it happening.

But yeah, side issue with so many fatalities.

a side issue it is but all relevant within the discussion

According to the BBC, “reporter Tim Dellor had been delayed getting to Derby for the Reading game.” So what? It’s just an overrated game. No more important than the comments in local paper about "Oxford United fans getting delayed travelling to Burton.
Surely delayed doctors, people on medication, families with young kids stuck in the cars, even late high value loads are more important than watching a bunch of men kicking a ball about for an hour and a half?
No doubt all caused by someone not driving to the road conditions. Probably not even the poor sod who was killed.
Oh and where are all the “jacknifed lorries”? They look fairly straight in the photos. :imp:

Terry T:

Dipper_Dave:

We’ve had situations where roads (not a motorway) have been closed and the police have diverted one of our double deckers down a road with a low bridge on. It then becomes a game of who do you blame as the police then had to attend to ■■■■■■ him back down the road.

If a copper tells you to take a route then a lot of drivers will just take it. Personally I still think there’s no excuse to stop looking at road signs just because plod said you’ll be OK but it’s easy to see it happening.

But yeah, side issue with so many fatalities.

Agreed, I’ve had the plod on a wide load escourt ask me how fast I can go, yep 40 in a 30 but bridges are still bridges, just common sense really and a side issue.

Have to bear in mind that HA will lose control of the motorway once the police take charge and are then left to route the diversion, sure 9 times out of 10 this will be fine but they are muppets just like the rest of us and prone to human error.

tango boy:
I wonder if the signs was saying use hard shoulder…

Unlikely at 06:45 on a Saturday morning.

Coffeeholic:

tango boy:
I wonder if the signs was saying use hard shoulder…

Unlikely at 06:45 on a Saturday morning.

I know now :blush:

This particular saturday morning at that time is busier than usual - because it’s half term weekend.

Is it me or his he on the phone?

Rip to all involved.

25AB7D3700000578-2953376-The_mangled_wreckage_of_a_car_is_taken_away_after_the_M1_crash_i-a-3_1423935898430.jpg

Muckaway:

Terry T:

The HA are right. It’s a one way weight limit, you cant cross the bridge from Weston to go Southbound A34. You can exit A34 Southbound as the HA say and cross the bridge into Weston, no problem.
It’s simply a NIMBY limit, almost pointless now with the new linkroad near Kingmere at Bicester.

It’s not nimbyism, it stops the A34 from being a car park while artics crawl onto it from Weston trying to avoid j9 m40 delays when coming from the north.

se4n:

Rip to all involved.

Looks like it and the spray from the wheels means he’s not stationary.

m1cks:

se4n:

Rip to all involved.

Looks like it and the spray from the wheels means he’s not stationary.

hard one to call about the phone as I’ve blown it up LARGE and still not 100% looking at the wheels they look to be spinning

Is that spray from his wheels or maybe the road is dry under his wheels ?

He is rolling, he might be looking in his mirror and scratching his face.