M40 Pile Up [MERGED]

Going to be a long closure 30+ vehicles and a bad scene with jackknifed lorries, avoid the area for quite a while :neutral_face:

bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-ox … e-31469145

30 vehicles and multiple fatalities not good.

It’s been foggy along that stretch during the early hours all this week.
You finally get to climb out of it going up the stokenchurch hill.

Depressing news. Its been a terrible few weeks for the lorry driving fraternity.

Just saw this on the BBC news app. Hopefully everyone is ok.

Radar19:
Hopefully everyone is ok.

Sadly not, at least 1 confirmed fatality.

Cant be much fun heading south - north today with both the M40 and M1 closed.

Yes, there’s been another serious accident near Marston Gate.
These roads are my regular haunts - and I’m sure for many of you collectively out there as well.

RIP.

Nearby on M1 = 3 dead in coach crash

bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-be … s-31469329

Another truck friendly diversion from our friends in the HA.

All traffic is advised to leave the M40 northbound at J9 and follow the solid circle symbol. Take the A34 southbound to the junction with the B430. Take the B430 northbound through Weston-on-the-Green and Ardley to rejoin the M40 at J10.

Weston is weight restricted to 7.5t.

ROG:

When will people learn to get out of the car when on the hard shoulder. Thats 3 lives that might have been saved if they had been on the embankment.

Winseer:
It’s been foggy along that stretch during the early hours all this week.
You finally get to climb out of it going up the stokenchurch hill.

I remember one day last year I was coming out the smoke back up towards the Midlands at around 2am and it was scary tbh. The fog was so thick I couldn’t even see the side of the motorway. The motorway was completely empty and I was going miles before seeing other vehicles. I was sitting at 40mph coz it just didn’t feel safe going any faster. Eventually some hero came past me on the limiter so I wound it up to 56 and sat in his rocking chair about 100 yards behind all the way to the other side of the A34 where it started to clear.

Now confirmed 7 dead. 4 on the M40, and 3 on the M1. :frowning:

m1cks:

ROG:

When will people learn to get out of the car when on the hard shoulder. Thats 3 lives that might have been saved if they had been on the embankment.

That’s fine but they tend to stand next to the car …

My boys are well versed get out and away to the rear of the car and up the bank if possible and it don’t matter about the weather grab a coat. oh and they all have hi-viz’s in the car too

m1cks:

Joe public don’t seem to have a clue about anything to do with motorways. Joining, leaving, overtaking, cruising, breaking down, roadworks. Absolutely clueless.

My local rag the Express and Star printed a story last year about a couple who were killed when their car broke down on a 2 lane dual carriageway in the local area. Correctly they got out the vehicle but both stood right on the side of the road about 10 feet in front of the car. A truck came along, hit the rear of the car and shoved it right into the pair of them, killing them instantly.

Get up the bloody embankment out the way. Cold is better than dead. My boot is full of goodies, his viz waterproof jacket, gloves, hat, bottled water, everything necessary for a long stint waiting for recovery.

I wonder if the signs was saying use hard shoulder and that’s what the coach was doing on the M1.
Witnessed a near miss yesterday on the M6 Southbound between J6 & J5 there was a car broke down on the hard shoulder but the signs were all lit up saying congestion use hard shoulder, the foreign registered truck only just missed him :open_mouth:
I take it all those cameras and no body looks in them :open_mouth: :open_mouth: :unamused: :unamused:

nick2008:

m1cks:

ROG:

My boys are well versed get out and away to the rear of the car and up the bank if possible and it don’t matter about the weather grab a coat. oh and they all have hi-viz’s in the car too

We all know the dangers but what about the mother of two coming back from Ikea who has two screaming kids in tow. The choice of standing the pouring rain vs inside the car where its dry is somewhat appealing considering.

Radar19:

nick2008:

m1cks:

ROG:

We all know the dangers but what about the mother of two coming back from Ikea who has two screaming kids in tow. The choice of standing the pouring rain vs inside the car where its dry is somewhat appealing considering.

More appealing then having your family killed? Nah, my missus is well aware she should get out the car despite the weather.

RIP to those that lost their lives in both of the incidents.
No-one expects to leave the house in the morning not to come home in the evening. I feel for the families left behind :frowning:
Seems to be that the coach ran into the back of the car on the hardshoulder on the M1 incident. Tragic loss of life, poor guys wouldnt have had a chance.

Is it me or are these incidents getting more frequent?
The M1 j12-J13 (either North or South bound) seems to have a bad smash every other day at the moment.

I use J13 daily and thankfully I havent been caught up in the aftermath as I am on and off at off-peak times normally, but the chaos being caused is horrendous. The local roads cant cope when the M1 is closed.

I just dont know who had the bright idea to use the hard shoulder as a running lane - this idea is just stupidity of the highest order.

People (when I say people, I mean visitors to these shores, either temporarily or new permanent residents) dont seem to understand the difference between the hardshoulder being used as a running lane and when it is not.

If the driver doesn’t speak English, then a sign stating that the lane should not be used when a red X is displayed, or if the sign states that the lane is for emergency use only or open during congestion really isnt much use is it - I wouldn’t understand those messages if I was driving in Spain/France/Germany/Poland, etc, so how can we expect visitors from Europe to understand the messages in English?

It seems we are stuck with either a part time hardshoulder or no hardshoulder at all, so we need to make sure that the signs are graphical, not typographic - less chance of mis-understanding a graphic than a typed message I would think.

M25 has no hardshoulder at all in certain parts (north/east - J25-J27) - this is madness!
If the CCTV operator isnt on the ball to close the lane, then carnage is imminent. If you should break down between refuge lay-bys then your really out of luck and putting your life at risk!

Money saving my ar$e!

Terry T:
Another truck friendly diversion from our friends in the HA.

All traffic is advised to leave the M40 northbound at J9 and follow the solid circle symbol. Take the A34 southbound to the junction with the B430. Take the B430 northbound through Weston-on-the-Green and Ardley to rejoin the M40 at J10.

Weston is weight restricted to 7.5t.

No it’s not.

If you’re coming from Weston to the A34, the bridge over to the Southbound A34 is 7.5t limited but that’s all. You have to go North, around Jct 9 then back down to avoid it. Coming off the A34 to cut across to Jct 10 is not restricted. There is also no restriction on traffic coming off the southbound A34