Loads Above Tipper Sides

With all the talk of Vosa getting stricter regarding insecure loads, I wonder does a tipper that has it’s load heaped above the bodysides fall foul? I try to level the load across the body with my bucket but some tippers have such shallow bodies it’s impossible as you’d push the load off the other side or damage certain types of auto sheeting systems.

It used to be that provided the load was covered and nothing could escape it was ok. I had never heard of this load height problem untill I was listening to two dump truck drivers on the PA turnpike a few weeks back and one said he had been pulled for the load being visible above the side of the truck body :exclamation:
Rather petty surely unless it is fine dusty stuff such as gravel and then surely it should be covered nayway ?

I usually slam the brakes to level the load then Ill sheet up! That way I cant fall foul!

Sometimes you cant help but run with a heaped sheet especially with products like wheatfeed.Loads dont move in a bulker like they do in a curtain,yes some stuff moves like ■■■■ but you usually only get it through harsh braking.Cant see why they would see it as a problem if its sheeted and fairly central in the trailer or body if its an eight legger.

msgyorkie:
I usually slam the brakes to level the load then Ill sheet up! That way I cant fall foul!

All I pictured was that old video of a tipper stopping and about half the load shooting over the cab, can’t find it now though.

msgyorkie:

Talking of that, it’s a real PITA to get the correct front axle weight when loading with a large bucket; Having driven our 6 and 8ws, I know the 8ws rear axles are plated at 18000kgs so I try to get them between that and 19000kgs according to our weighbridge.
Shock horror: A shovel driver who knows about axle weights :open_mouth:

msgyorkie:

this used to be common practice when on gritters for some drivers , as they were incapable of loading it to capacity by just using the loading shovel :unamused: some could nearly get the plough frame to hit the ground , poor springs

You still need to get the axle weights right which could come back to the loading shovel drivers,as lorry drivers aren’t allowed to get up onto the load under health & safety rules.
The other option is fit greedy boards to the lorry body.

It has often made me wonder how these scrap wagons get on.

I mean, if you’ve got a load of ■■■■ meal piled up, but sheeted, that’s fine. But if you’ve got lots of bits of sharp metal sticking up with nothing covering them, what then?

I can see the return of Greedy Boards :stuck_out_tongue:

This is the reason why i left my last job doing scrap. They would load the trailer way over the top to get ther full weight say 25 ton payload, my ex boss used to say it was ok! ■■■■■■■ ok! yeah it was ok for that ■■■■ cos he gets paid more for it and also these ■■■■■ driveing the rigid tippers with there loads of ■■■■■■■■! stupid ■■■■■ they are! until a rock goes through some poor ■■■■■ window and kills them! Then mr 8 wheeler says ooohhh it wasnt my fault i cant sheet my body tidy cos im stupid and im not going far to tip it! silly ■■■■■ x :smiley:

halfpint:
This is the reason why i left my last job doing scrap. They would load the trailer way over the top to get ther full weight say 25 ton payload, my ex boss used to say it was ok!

I loaded a scrap metal trailer of M. Ways’ last week with 25t something of shingle; Now my machine’s not small but I was at full reach to load it and barely able to tip the bucket into the trailer properly, so god knows if the load fell level inside.

Wheel Nut:
I can see the return of Greedy Boards :stuck_out_tongue:

Hauliers this way fit greedy boards onto tippers in the winter for carrying fodder beet etc.

Teetering about on the edges of an open top container at Coalite, Bolsover patting the coke into a firm heap with a shovel is a thing of the past then - is it? :confused: :laughing:

To me, if your having to load above the sides it means you’ve got the wrong body for the job your doing, better knowledge of the work when ordering the trucks would sort it.

dew:
To me, if your having to load above the sides it means you’ve got the wrong body for the job your doing, better knowledge of the work when ordering the trucks would sort it.

We’re using a few Hanson franchisees at the moment and they are a pain to load with recycled fines (the soil/dust that comes from screening rubble before crushing it) as you don’t have a lot of bucket room due to the large sheet arches front and back and sheet arms. Couple this to the fact the bodies are fairly shallow to reduce weight.
Our bodies are deeper than muckshifters but not bulkers so loading ours level is easy. It would help if drivers retracted their sheets fully in (the type with the arms down both sides) so we can load up behind the headboard…

2012-06-22 11.07.05.jpg
I think this one would interest VOSA…

You can get 29 tonne of fodder beet on my trailer no problem without it being upto the top at the sides of the trailer as a rule.Think its a 63 cubic inch.Trailers nowadays are big enough to not need gready boards except for wheatfeed but thats why they cap the load.We dont need trailers that are any bigger because we dont do ■■■■ meal etc as a rule but those who do tend to buy a slightly bigger trailer.Wether a trailer is sheeted or not and it goes over its going to come out.As for going down th road if you dont sheet sand and its dry well it can blow out.Its more chance of happening on a rigid though.

The sheets you see on muckshifters are really only a token gesture; They don’t keep the load dry and certainly don’t stop lime blowing off. They seem ok with rubble but are really there to satisfy quarry rules.

C’mon the railways have it sorted easily :laughing:

Relevant repost