Loaded Vehicle / Trailer Testing

So today is day 1 of loaded vehicle testing…

Would be interesting to read from any trainers how much difference this has made to

1. Teaching
  2. Testing

I think it’s a great idea although not sure I’d be happy to have day 1 in a rigid with a load.

Would think a spare wagon with no load for assessments / day 1 training would be advantageous.

Your thoughts / experiences…?

Apart from using a lower move off gear, we have had to change nothing. Changing down in good time to achieve an uphill climb seems to be the biggest difference during training.

Tests are no different. We never claim 100% pass rate. The one or two that have failed in the last couple of weeks have done so on the normal nonsense like not putting the park brake ON on the trailer or changing lanes badly.

I understand the idea of having a spare vehicle, empty, for assessments and initial training - - - when you’re going to fund it Dean, I’ll do that! It’s not practical to load/unload vehicles so that’s a non starter unless you happen to have demounts perhaps.

Pete :laughing: :laughing:

When I win the lottery I will leave you a donation towards it.

Thanks for the feedback.

Well that’s our 1st test done with a loaded truck and trailer and our 1st pass. We had a lad that had done our 2 day C+E course and should have tested on 1st November but unfortunately lost part of his licence the evening before the test.

He came back this morning at 8am for a 10.15 test. We had a couple of hours to get used to moving away in a lower gear and using 1 gear lower for small roundabouts and L/R turns. We now make far more use of the low range than previously. This could have been tricky as he had passed his Cat C in the same truck and done the C+E training before the weight was added.

However all turned out well as he passed with 5 minor faults and none related to the extra weight. Section 12 on the DL25 related to vehicle controls was unmarked and the faults were mainly mirror related.

Start two 4 day Cat C courses tomorrow both testing on Friday so this will be a good test with 2 novice starters.

Good luck to all testing this week.

Cool. A good result.

Out of interest what weight is in the back now for C and C&E ■■

Boo9729:
Out of interest what weight is in the back now for C and C&E ■■

5 tonne for C - 8 tonne for C+E

John

Most significant difference is having to move my marker tape on the side rails for reversing into the bay as my truck sits a little lower now

How unthoughtful of the DSA bringing in laden testing! Lol

First laden test completed and passed with 5 faults.
I was surprised that the examiner never even looked through the back doors to see if the truck was loaded.

I am very pleased how my truck handles the weight, after all they are doing what they are designed to do which is carry weight.

IMO a good and positive move by the DSA (credit where credits due)

Paul

Excellent.

All good feedback.

And hopefully trainees will be hitting the real world driving with their eyes opened a little wider.

I think that idea is so stupid… Today I had to take 12 IBC’s with some kind of water softener and it was worst load I ever had. It was so sloppy, was rocking my truck on every roundabout or junction… No good at all. But it is my personal point of view.

Just spent 3 days training 2 guys that I know would have passed 2 weeks ago. Both test tomorrow but i can’t get consistency with their gears or more importantly their mental belief.

To pass 1st time you need certain drills that work EVERY time but now it’s 3rd gear normal 2nd gear uphill perhaps 4th downhill.

If Wes and/or Steve fail tomorrow we have decided to train them free until they pass. It’s because I don’t feel comfortable with the extra weight.

Oh crap. Not good John. Hopefully it’ll be a pass for them both.

1st full Cat C course over with the laden vehicle. Steve went 1st this morning and come back with a pass with 6 minor faults, none of which were to do with gears or any other weight related reason.

This afternoon Wes unfortunately failed with 1 serious for observation on a roundabout.

It has been a learning curve trying to perfect the instruction with the vehicle just under the Max Gross weight but I feel better prepared for next time.

How much extra fuel is everyone using with the extra weight?

Sat my c+e retest last Thursday and passed ,the company I trained with didn’t like the water containers because of the water sloshing around and cut the tops of the containers and filled them with sand, seem to work ok ,just used 2nd for uphill starts and was a little slower out of junctions and roundabouts but was fine .

Have wrongly posted above msg ,the training company said they would like to have used sand and cut the top off the Ibc , heard original conversation wrong my mistake and apologies to all concerned ,especially to the training company who is a reputable company my mistake and apologies cheers guys .

thomasb9295:
Sat my c+e retest last Thursday and passed ,the company I trained with didn’t like the water containers because of the water sloshing around and cut the tops of the containers and filled them with sand, seem to work ok ,just used 2nd for uphill starts and was a little slower out of junctions and roundabouts but was fine .

I thought sand had to be in bags?

Can sand in bags be used for LGV?

thomasb9295:

I take it the examiner never looked in the back of the truck. Has to be IBC’s filled with water. Sand can’t be used in a LGV test.

The water does slosh about a little but nothing to worry about, it’s a nice flat load. Years ago I used to carry slippy MDF stacked up to the roof then you new you had a load on.

Paul

thomasb9295:

Looks like they will be buying some new IBC’s then as they are not using an approved load, hope they don’t start revoking any passes with non approved loads.

Doubtful you’d lose out.

But the driving school would be for the high jump if it came out.