Lift axles

So, i drive a tractor with 1 steering axle and 2 driving axles so it’s a 6x4 but normaly only 1 drive axle is driven so it’s a 6x2 but when i flick the power divider switch on both drive axles are driven so now it’s a 6x4.

By Jove, i think i’ve got it. :smiley: :smiley: :smiley:

remy:
So, i drive a tractor with 1 steering axle and 2 driving axles so it’s a 6x4 but normaly only 1 drive axle is driven so it’s a 6x2 but when i flick the power divider switch on both drive axles are driven so now it’s a 6x4.

By Jove, i think i’ve got it. :smiley: :smiley: :smiley:

remy are you sure that does’nt turn itself into a 6x1 as soon as it loses traction at one set of driving wheels :question: . :laughing: But even if it can keep all it’s driven wheels driving the europeans will never be able to understand the idea.The question is how long before the yanks follow the Brits with the fuel and weight saving idea of just loading a single drive axle at up to 34,000lbs to keep the thing moving. :open_mouth: :laughing:

Carryfast:

Kyrbo:

Carryfast:
… But the issue,of the possibility of one side losing traction,when running at slow speed or stopped,also applies to single drive axles just the same,but you don’t have the advantage of being able to use the traction provided by having the combined traction co efficient of the two drive axles just like I said in that case.

But with one drive axle you get wheel spin later than you get with 6x4 (due to one side losing traction) :wink: This is because 6x4 has lower axle weights per drive axle than lorries with single driven axles, like has been stated in this thread. In practice this means you get further with single drive axle than with 6x4 as long as your drive axle tyres reach solid surface AND you know how to use equipment you are given, especially when you have 6x2. For example newish FH’s (FH12 at least from Mk. 2 onwards) transfer weight from lift axle to drive axle with a single button press so that drive axle gets loaded to legal maximum weight. With a second press of that same button drive axle gets loaded 30% overweight. For what I know this is factory fitted standard feature on all three+ axle FH’s (and FM’s) with rear air suspension.

BTW as you like the Youtube clips, here’s an great example showing what single driven tyre means with a 6x4: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UobLbfRZloA

You’ve forgotten to factor in the combined ‘total’ traction/grip coefficient put to the ground of two drive axles loaded at less individual weight each (9.5t x2 ) versus a single one loaded at 11t or probably less in the real world with a 6x2 configuration.

No, I’ve not forgotten it. I just didn’t mention it as doesn’t matter that much as long as your drive axle tyres can reach something solid. On the other hand, it does matter pretty much when you’re driving on something where this doesn’t apply, like a mud, sand or deep enough sleet.

Carryfast:
But the example of the dustcart just proved that it was’nt fitted with,or using,diff and crosslocks and that if the obstruction is good enough it will stop anything including a tank :open_mouth: :laughing:

It also showed pretty well what “driven by single tyre” means if one can interpret what one saw.

“Driven by single tyre” means that without cross or difflocks or traction control vehicles ability to transfer force to the surface is limited by the tyre which has least traction. Lift a single tyre from a drive axle of your choice into the air and only that wheel will rotate when you lift a clutch and vehicle doesn’t go anywhere. It doesn’t matter whether the vehicle is 4x4, 4x2, 6x2, 6x4 or 8x8 (ask from any off-road hobbyist if you don’t believe me). Lift a driven tyre from a 8x8 and it doesn’t go anywhere, lift a driven tyre from a 4x2 and it doesn’t go anywhere, lift a driven tyre from a 6x2 and it doesn’t go anywhere and lift a driven tyre from a 6x4 and, the shock, it doesn’t go anywhere. In practice this means that once one wheel starts spinning and you doesn’t have enough momentum, you’ll stop, engage locks and hope that you get going again.

Carryfast:
But no one ‘ordered’ anyone to stop in Northampton or any of the other British motorways and roads that get blocked by stuck 6x2 and 4x2 artics every time we get a few inches of snow here.

And no one has ordered a stop on a Finnish road network when few more inches of snow fall down, and, lo and behold, even the 4x2 artics kept going without blocking the roads.

:bulb: Maybe you can’t put all the blame nor praise to the drivetrain as there MIGHT also be some other factors contributing for surviving in slippery conditions.

Kyrbo:

Carryfast:

Kyrbo:

Carryfast:
… But the issue,of the possibility of one side losing traction,when running at slow speed or stopped,also applies to single drive axles just the same,but you don’t have the advantage of being able to use the traction provided by having the combined traction co efficient of the two drive axles just like I said in that case.

But with one drive axle you get wheel spin later than you get with 6x4 (due to one side losing traction) :wink: This is because 6x4 has lower axle weights per drive axle than lorries with single driven axles, like has been stated in this thread. In practice this means you get further with single drive axle than with 6x4 as long as your drive axle tyres reach solid surface AND you know how to use equipment you are given, especially when you have 6x2. For example newish FH’s (FH12 at least from Mk. 2 onwards) transfer weight from lift axle to drive axle with a single button press so that drive axle gets loaded to legal maximum weight. With a second press of that same button drive axle gets loaded 30% overweight. For what I know this is factory fitted standard feature on all three+ axle FH’s (and FM’s) with rear air suspension.

BTW as you like the Youtube clips, here’s an great example showing what single driven tyre means with a 6x4: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UobLbfRZloA

You’ve forgotten to factor in the combined ‘total’ traction/grip coefficient put to the ground of two drive axles loaded at less individual weight each (9.5t x2 ) versus a single one loaded at 11t or probably less in the real world with a 6x2 configuration.

No, I’ve not forgotten it. I just didn’t mention it as doesn’t matter that much as long as your drive axle tyres can reach something solid. On the other hand, it does matter pretty much when you’re driving on something where this doesn’t apply, like a mud, sand or deep enough sleet.

Carryfast:
But the example of the dustcart just proved that it was’nt fitted with,or using,diff and crosslocks and that if the obstruction is good enough it will stop anything including a tank :open_mouth: :laughing:

It also showed pretty well what “driven by single tyre” means if one can interpret what one saw.

“Driven by single tyre” means that without cross or difflocks or traction control vehicles ability to transfer force to the surface is limited by the tyre which has least traction. Lift a single tyre from a drive axle of your choice into the air and only that wheel will rotate when you lift a clutch and vehicle doesn’t go anywhere. It doesn’t matter whether the vehicle is 4x4, 4x2, 6x2, 6x4 or 8x8 (ask from any off-road hobbyist if you don’t believe me). Lift a driven tyre from a 8x8 and it doesn’t go anywhere, lift a driven tyre from a 4x2 and it doesn’t go anywhere, lift a driven tyre from a 6x2 and it doesn’t go anywhere and lift a driven tyre from a 6x4 and, the shock, it doesn’t go anywhere. In practice this means that once one wheel starts spinning and you doesn’t have enough momentum, you’ll stop, engage locks and hope that you get going again.

Carryfast:
But no one ‘ordered’ anyone to stop in Northampton or any of the other British motorways and roads that get blocked by stuck 6x2 and 4x2 artics every time we get a few inches of snow here.

And no one has ordered a stop on a Finnish road network when few more inches of snow fall down, and, lo and behold, even the 4x2 artics kept going without blocking the roads.

:bulb: Maybe you can’t put all the blame nor praise to the drivetrain as there MIGHT also be some other factors contributing for surviving in slippery conditions.

All good points kyrbo but they only confirm everything that I already know.But in this context it’s mainly the situation where there is’nt any/much difference in traction between one side or another.It’s not the loss of traction on just one side that causes the problems in most cases on the road and that applies regardless of wether the diff locks are being used or not.But the issue in this case is mainly the difference between 4x2,6x2,and 6x4 in the situation where traction is lost either partially or totally at both sides not just one and the best compromise in that situation.The 6x2 will need to have the weight transferrred from it’s undriven axle to the driven one thereby effectively turning it into a 4x2.In reality that type of transfer is going to put the truck overweight on it’s drive axle.In many types situations it won’t work anyway because the contact area still won’t allow enough grip between road and drive weels even at the higher axle weight.In which case all that happens is that the tractor unit still gets wheelspin both sides and the drive axle slides sideways and/or digs itself in even deeper and in the context of the type of conditions which we’re talking about it’s unlikely that the the drive axle is going to get any grip on the ground which will probably be slippery anyway even if it does.In that context the 6x4 driveline,with diff locks and crosslocks used if/when required,is the best compromise in just the same way that it is on soft ground.But in all these comparisons if those ‘other factors’ apply and if it’s those that are stopping the truck not just loss of traction maybe someone should identify exactly what the ‘difference’ is between the 4x2 artics that are moving and getting the job done in Scandinavia versus all the 6x2 and 4x2 ones that are stopped here in similar conditions.In many cases I’d put most of the ‘difference’,in this context,down to wether the driver would be prepared to run at 40 tonnes with a 4x2 tractor unit and/or not mind the extra risk of using a truck which would be more likely to jacknife in bad conditions,than a 6x4 one would be.But contrary to Robk’s comments I’ve used both 6x4 rigids and 4x2 artics in bad conditions and kept moving.But that does’nt mean that a 6x4 tractor unit would’nt have been far better and a lot easier and that 4x2 tractor unit was’nt pulling anywhere near 40 tonnes let alone 44 tonnes with a 6x2 although the 6x2 would probably be easier to keep in a straight line than a 4x2 in those conditions ‘if’ it could run with it’s undriven axle in use of course (unlikely) with the ratio of gross combination weight versus drive axle weight and traction co efficient between the wheels and road (on both sides let alone one side).

Carryfast:
But contrary to Robk’s comments I’ve used both 6x4 rigids and 4x2 artics in bad conditions and kept moving.

I really wish you would get over yourself… You just shot your own argument to hell here… This trip I have 5 tonnes on a double deck trailer. I have crossed the Prairies in deep snow and compacted snow the whole way across. I have just negotiated the first part of the Rockies. This is in my 6x4 tractor unit with a tandem trailer…

I was losing traction, even with the traction control on, while doing 60mph up hills… In the city, I just, and I mean JUST, got away at one set of lights, and that was with the crosslock on and traction control on…

With a 4x2 and a half full tanker I would have had less trouble than I had with this.

Your argument keeps coming back to being overloaded with a 6x2 if you lift the axle up. That is the whole point of it. Put weight on the road until you are rolling. Again, the axle designs are usually 13 tonnes, which is the maximum kingpin load as a rule. You may be legally over while you get going, but who would know?

Bob the blokes a ■■■■ end of story he just does’nt grasp that The Sherriff Vosa or anyone involved would rather you had a few moments of overloading a drive axle rather than holding the traffic up, your banging your head on the floor he’s got a 6x4 fixation but has openly told eveyone whose read this thread that he’s never driven/operated a 6x4 artic, so his ■■■■ for the 6x4 is purely due to him getting a woody over the concept, pity the local council did’nt put a fifth wheel on his Clydesdale & send him up Reigate hill with an incorrectly loaded tandem axle trailer in the snow cos if they had the plank would still be half way up it :smiley:

Fly sheet

PS enjoy BC I’m off to Rotherham on a night time railway job!!!

bobthedog:

Carryfast:
But contrary to Robk’s comments I’ve used both 6x4 rigids and 4x2 artics in bad conditions and kept moving.

I really wish you would get over yourself… You just shot your own argument to hell here… This trip I have 5 tonnes on a double deck trailer. I have crossed the Prairies in deep snow and compacted snow the whole way across. I have just negotiated the first part of the Rockies. This is in my 6x4 tractor unit with a tandem trailer…

I was losing traction, even with the traction control on, while doing 60mph up hills

You’ve done all that with a 5 tonne payload on an artic :question: and you’re trying to tell me that I’ve shot my argument to hell.So tell your guvnor to get that 4x2 or 6x2 unit and then try it with that with the same type of load. :unamused: :unamused: :laughing: :laughing:

fly sheet:
Bob the blokes a ■■■■ end of story he just does’nt grasp that The Sherriff Vosa or anyone involved would rather you had a few moments of overloading a drive axle rather than holding the traffic up, your banging your head on the floor he’s got a 6x4 fixation but has openly told eveyone whose read this thread that he’s never driven/operated a 6x4 artic, so his ■■■■ for the 6x4 is purely due to him getting a woody over the concept, pity the local council did’nt put a fifth wheel on his Clydesdale & send him up Reigate hill with an incorrectly loaded tandem axle trailer in the snow cos if they had the plank would still be half way up it :smiley:

Fly sheet

It’s going to take a lot more than a ‘few moments’ of overloading a drive axle on a 44 tonner 6x2 unit to ‘keep’ the thing moving,that’s if you can even get it moving,but like I said I’ve driven plenty of 6x4 rigids and plenty of 4x2 artics and that’s enough to know that the artic would be better if it was pulled by a 6x4 unit in zb conditions.It’s me that’s banging my head on the floor and it’s not me who’s the plank.

fly sheet:
Bob the blokes a ■■■■ end of story

:grimacing: :grimacing:

I really shouldn’t respond to this ■■■■, but the doctor has put me on stronger medication today.

I cannot remember how many times we have covered this subject, we live in the UK and some of us occasionally or regularly venture over the North Sea or English Channel. In the UK we ran 4 axles at 32500kg when I started driving, before that we had Maudsley, ERF, Foden, Atkinson and Bristol 8 wheelers and pups/drags which you reckon you are familiar with.

Many were double drive because they didn’t know better :stuck_out_tongue: But while we were using our 4 axle artics, so were the Europeans, but they were already running at 38 or 40 tonnes. They managed perfectly well and still do. Many hauliers in the UK started using 6 axled vehicles to utilise the various tax breaks. Remember when it cost £5750 for a 5 axle 40tonne artic? This ridiculous tax hike eventually fell to a slightly more acceptable £1850

Those international hauliers who now wanted to compete with the British 44tonners on our own soil had to invest in 3 axle tractors, the majority didn’t opt for your favoured double drive. They designed and improved on a design used many years earlier with Maudsleys etc. The lifting and steering mid or tag axle was lighter, didn’t create as much drag and ensured axle weights were not exceeded. The Europeans had been running 13 tonne axles, we were limited to 19000 (2 x 9500), 10500kg or 11500kg maximum with RFS

[quote="Carryfast"You’ve done all that with a 5 tonne payload on an artic :question: and you’re trying to tell me that I’ve shot my argument to hell.So tell your guvnor to get that 4x2 or 6x2 unit and then try it with that with the same type of load. :unamused: :unamused: :laughing: :laughing:[/quote]
I guess you don’t read so well, do you? Firstly, I spend almost half my life in snowy conditions, and usually a 6th of my time each year off the highways in VERY snowy conditions. I suspect I know what I am doing fairly well by now. If I had been in a 4x2 unit then I would not have spun nearly as much because, instead of 4 driven wheels supporting the weight, I would have had a single axle carrying it all.

No, the others are right. You have a woody over 6x4s. Delusions of grandeur over something you do not understand. I am sure, if you look on the internet further, you will find pictures of “lil red wagons”. They are much more to your standard of driving.

fly sheet:

Fly sheet

Thats the problem he has never driven a 6x4 towing a trailer like some of us have a 6x4 rigid will go almost anywhere but you stick a trailer on the back be it artic or drawbar and it has its limits in tricky conditions.
On a landfill site a 6x4 artic will still need help from a d8 if its wet or soft and in real bad snow it will have its limits to.

Sure enough. I had to use the lock and T/C to get away at the lights yesterday in Calgary and even then it was spinning like hell.

If the 6x4 has any advantage it is that it tends to hold a fairly true line on bends with the extra set of tyres, but that is generally it. On the beaverdams and lakeshores it has advantages, but that is an extreme.

bobthedog:
[quote="Carryfast"You’ve done all that with a 5 tonne payload on an artic :question: and you’re trying to tell me that I’ve shot my argument to hell.So tell your guvnor to get that 4x2 or 6x2 unit and then try it with that with the same type of load. :unamused: :unamused: :laughing: :laughing:

I guess you don’t read so well, do you? Firstly, I spend almost half my life in snowy conditions, and usually a 6th of my time each year off the highways in VERY snowy conditions. I suspect I know what I am doing fairly well by now. If I had been in a 4x2 unit then I would not have spun nearly as much because, instead of 4 driven wheels supporting the weight, I would have had a single axle carrying it all.
[/quote]
If you know what you’re doing so well by now then do what I said,if you’ve got the bottle that is, and tell your guvnor every thing that you’ve told me and what you really think if he won’t give you that 4x2 or 6x2 to do that type of run with.But you’re right you would’nt have spun nearly so much because at that weight the thing probably would have been stuck or jacknifed at the side of the road long before you’d even got to that hill which the 6X4 climbed at 60 mph. :unamused: :unamused: :unamused: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

kr79:

fly sheet:

Fly sheet

Thats the problem he has never driven a 6x4 towing a trailer like some of us have a 6x4 rigid will go almost anywhere but you stick a trailer on the back be it artic or drawbar and it has its limits in tricky conditions.

So now you’re going to tell me that a 4x2 or 6x2 euro spec artic,with just 5 tonnes payload on the back,would even be able to get itself along the M1 between Luton and Watford Gap in a bad British winter let alone to and across the Rockies in an ordinary North American one.I reckon that someone’s trying to have a wind up or a laugh on here and if I was the bs never was driver that some say I’m supposed to be I’d be stupid enough to believe it all.Unless that is they’re really serious about running that 4x2 artic loaded with 5 tonnes of freight across North America in the Winter then I could believe that. :open_mouth: :open_mouth: :unamused: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

Wheel Nut:
I really shouldn’t respond to this ■■■■, but the doctor has put me on stronger medication today.

I cannot remember how many times we have covered this subject, we live in the UK and some of us occasionally or regularly venture over the North Sea or English Channel. In the UK we ran 4 axles at 32500kg when I started driving, before that we had Maudsley, ERF, Foden, Atkinson and Bristol 8 wheelers and pups/drags which you reckon you are familiar with.

Many were double drive because they didn’t know better :stuck_out_tongue: But while we were using our 4 axle artics, so were the Europeans, but they were already running at 38 or 40 tonnes. They managed perfectly well and still do. Many hauliers in the UK started using 6 axled vehicles to utilise the various tax breaks. Remember when it cost £5750 for a 5 axle 40tonne artic? This ridiculous tax hike eventually fell to a slightly more acceptable £1850

Those international hauliers who now wanted to compete with the British 44tonners on our own soil had to invest in 3 axle tractors, the majority didn’t opt for your favoured double drive. They designed and improved on a design used many years earlier with Maudsleys etc. The lifting and steering mid or tag axle was lighter, didn’t create as much drag and ensured axle weights were not exceeded. The Europeans had been running 13 tonne axles, we were limited to 19000 (2 x 9500), 10500kg or 11500kg maximum with RFS

So why not go over to North America and join btd in showing them over there how a 4x2 artic loaded with 5 tonnes (or around 20t) of freight would make a better job of ploughing it’s way through a North American winter than a 6x4 could. :unamused: :unamused: :open_mouth: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

Carryfast:

kr79:

fly sheet:

Fly sheet

Thats the problem he has never driven a 6x4 towing a trailer like some of us have a 6x4 rigid will go almost anywhere but you stick a trailer on the back be it artic or drawbar and it has its liPmits in tricky conditions.

So now you’re going to tell me that a 4x2 or 6x2 euro spec artic,with just 5 tonnes payload on the back,would even be able to get itself along the M1 between Luton and Watford Gap in a bad British winter let alone to and across the Rockies in an ordinary North American one.I reckon that someone’s trying to have a wind up or a laugh on here and if I was the bs never was driver that some say I’m supposed to be I’d be stupid enough to believe it all.Unless that is they’re really serious about running that 4x2 artic loaded with 5 tonnes of freight across North America in the Winter then I could believe that. :open_mouth: :open_mouth: :unamused: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

Have you seen my Sweden video, filmed last Christmas at the height of the bad weather. I went from Birkenhead, to Vasteras in Sweden with 20 tonnes of beef on, Vasteras to Northern Germany empty, about 500 or 600km, then loaded with 6 pallets (4 tonnes) from there to Basingstoke where I tipped and ran home to West Wales empty for Christmas eve. The whole trip was snow and ice from beginning to end. No problems, empty or loaded, bit slidy from time to time but I had no problems maintaining forward movement in my (in your eyes useless) euro spec 4x2. And I’d happily do the same trip in my 6x2 this year if the need arose.

You are very entertaining, I wonder weather you just keep going to wind people up. After all your love of 6x4’s doesn’t come from any meaningful experience or common sense. You rattle on about North American and European winters yet anybody who has experienced one, or both, you shoot down in flames. You seem to think you know better than blokes doing the job day in day out in these winters you never seem to have driven an arctic in one yourself. Your constant whining about 6x4’s would be like me going on about the best configuration for a car transporter, or telling the VdB boys how to use a tanker, having never driven both.

As I say though I just think your a wind up merchant seeing how far you can argue with people.

Wait for it…wait for it,

He must be about to reply…surely

switchlogic:

Carryfast:

kr79:

fly sheet:

Fly sheet

Have you seen my Sweden video, filmed last Christmas at the height of the bad weather. I went from Birkenhead, to Vasteras in Sweden with 20 tonnes of beef on, Vasteras to Northern Germany empty, about 500 or 600km, then loaded with 6 pallets from there to Basingstoke where I tipped and ran home to West Wales empty for Christmas eve. The whole trip was snow and ice from beginning to end. No problems, empty or loaded, bit slidy from time to time but I had no problems maintaining forward movement in my (in your eyes useless) euro spec 4x2. And I’d happily do the same trip in my 6x2 this year if the need arose.

You are very entertaining, I wonder weather you just keep going to wind people up. After all your love of 6x4’s doesn’t come from any meaningful experience or common sense. You rattle on about North American and European winters yet anybody who has experienced one, or both, you shoot down in flames. You seem to think you know better than blokes doing the job day in day out in these winters you never seem to have driven an arctic in one yourself. Your constant whining about 6x4’s would be like me going on about the best configuration for a car transporter, or telling the VdB boys how to use a tanker, having never driven both.

As I say though I just think your a wind up merchant seeing how far you can argue with people.

I could’nt care less wether I argue with people or not.But the zb about me never having driven zb all anywhere seems to be a wind up to me considering that I’ve never cast any doubts about anyone else’s experience.Did’nt see any rules on here that say that no one is allowed to disagree with others and there’s no reason why such disagreements should cause that type of accusation.Anyway,fact,15 years of uk night trunking using 4x2 artics and 6x2 wagon and drags and never got stuck once just like you did’nt on that run.I did’nt ever say that I know ‘better’ than anyone else but I do disagree that’s all.But a bad British winter can be as bad as anything in Europe.Fact I did a run in the winter of 86/87 from Heathrow to Harrietsham in Kent and when I was due to leave at around midnight both myself and the guvnor agreed no way of taking the artic because not enough weight (lot more than 5 tonnes) and even if it was heavier it would’nt have stood a chance.Transhipped all of the load onto a four wheeler rigid.The snow on the M25,M26,and M20 was deep enough to cover the barriers.I was,with a few exceptions,the only truck on the road but made it there and back.But on the way back I saw a line of Safeway artics stuck on the opposite carriageway.The news at the time said they were stuck there for days.But in addition to that there were many other times on night trunking when the conditions were much colder and much worse than running days in Europe because of the simple fact that night time winter temperatures and conditions in the UK can be a lot zb colder and a lot worse than daytime ones on the continent.Ok you ran empty across europe and found it a ‘bit slidy’.I’ve run with plenty of weight on an artic and found it a lot more than a ‘bit slidy’ yes still got there and back but experience of driving 6x4’s,also in bad conditions,tells me that a 6x4 artic outfit would be a lot better and a lot easier in those conditions.If you and a lot of others don’t like it then tough.Which is probably what btd’s guvnor would tell him if he went in telling him that he’d rather have a 4x2 or 6x2 not the 6x4 he’s got.Which would have been just what my old guvnor would have said,if he’d had the option of using a 6x4 yank unit,when he rightly said that he did’nt want to increase the possibilities of having a truck and it’s load stuck on the side of the road.Which is why he transhipped the load onto a rigid.

Hurray, finally he got wound up, good times.