Kenworths in the UK

Love the pics in this thread.The K100 has always been aprticular favourite of mine, does anyone have any in service pics of the British Aerospace Aerodyne OEU 315Y showing trailers/load, I have a future plan to model this truck as very unusual scheme
any help appreciated

[I!(http://i476.photobucket.com/albums/rr129/carljarman/CNV00010.jpg)MG]http://i476.photobucket.com/albums/rr129/carljarman/kenworthschrisjohn004.jpg[/IMG]

Just afew more pics of Kenworth, one of it on "racing"duties. The other, newer, Kenworth was a working motor in the States before being imported to uk, it was refurbished by its current owner Chris Strong. This motor is a K100E and is powered by a Detroit.

Hi Carl, I missed your post until to-day (been busy working), thanks for the update. Nice to see the old girl still mobile. What does your friend intend to do with her, shows? I can see a few small changes since I had her such as that horrible bull bar and a bit of bling, and I’m not too sure about the paint job.
When I sold her there was a huge box of spares, a workshop manual and spares manual, has any of that survived?
If you need any advice or info do not hesitate do contact me, send a p.m. and I’ll send you my e-mail add.
Gavin

Funny thing is that many of the parts on those KWs will fit my 03 Pete, and will fit any of the othe K100s. They got it close to right when they built them, didn’t they…

By whiplash_012 at 2009-09-14.Hi Gavin.Heres one of your old mates in Dover.This truck,I believe, was imported into Ireland,and spent many years running back out to Europe for Clarke Transport,in Co.Louth.

Hi Gavin
John intends to put the truck back into its red and white colour scheme as when you had it. That ugly bull bar is already off. He intends to show it and do road runs. Here is another pic, i am sure you will have done plenty of miles sat here.

HI Gavin
I forgot to say John didnt get the manuals or any spares, but he has got to get the docs yet so he will chase them up. Thanks for your offer of help i will keep you in touch
carl

Hi carl how quick this page disapears off the front :imp: Just a warning for your friend - tell him DO NOT in any circumstances let anyone use an airgun to remove the rear wheelnuts . the inner tube nuts will snap off like carrots. There should be a proper wheelbrace with a leg to support the end also a tool to remove the broken part if needed with the truck.
If you don’t know, the inner wheel is held on by a tube nut (with the square end) this is tightened and then the outer wheel fitted with the normal nut and this is then tightened,both to about 250lbsft.This tube nut is a casting and very brittle.It’s a pain fitting them but when done right they never come loose. I used to have terrible problems with tyre fitters who would not, not use an airgun and who would insist on torquing up to 600lbsft. I used to remove and fit the wheels myself.
Gavin

Hi Gavin
Thanks for the info on the wheels, just in time as he needs to sort out a couple of punctures this week
Carl

Gavin McArdle:
Hi carl how quick this page disapears off the front :imp: Just a warning for your friend - tell him DO NOT in any circumstances let anyone use an airgun to remove the rear wheelnuts . the inner tube nuts will snap off like carrots. There should be a proper wheelbrace with a leg to support the end also a tool to remove the broken part if needed with the truck.
If you don’t know, the inner wheel is held on by a tube nut (with the square end) this is tightened and then the outer wheel fitted with the normal nut and this is then tightened,both to about 250lbsft.This tube nut is a casting and very brittle.It’s a pain fitting them but when done right they never come loose. I used to have terrible problems with tyre fitters who would not, not use an airgun and who would insist on torquing up to 600lbsft. I used to remove and fit the wheels myself.
Gavin

I can remember reading about that same issue years ago concerning one run by Edwin Shirley Trucking.I can’t understand why that idea has’nt been taken up by all the European manufacturers as holding two wheels on with one lot of nuts on the outer wheel never seemed to make any sense to me.The old idea of spoked drums with just outer rims with clamps is a good way of doing things too.Anyway in the real world for an owner driver one of these seems a better bet than one of the new generation of computerised Euro machines.I’ve also got a great photo of a Swiss Frederici four wheeler prime mover and two axle drawbar trailer but it’s on a video tape at the moment.

Well, after some long time, I had some more scanned in:
DHW665W

GHB164V (photo by David May)

EHU940W

FHT332W

JEP71W

GVV23X

HHY582X

NAC52V

RTT128W

RTT180W

OUH474X

OUH484X

Q588DEF

One on a lowloader behind a Freightliner (see the headlights of the Ken)

All photos bought/traded most in Gaydon.

hi,
great pictures,there are several k100’s shown on there that i haven’t seen before.i have a peterbilt 359 and when i was looking on ebay usa to buy that,my other choice was a k100 aerodyne,i actually found one in houston but sadly the owner was not prepared to deal with me as i live in the uk.please keep this thread going.
regards andrew

pete 359:
there are several k100’s shown on there that i haven’t seen before.please keep this thread going.

As they say: your wish is my command :laughing: :laughing:
I have a lot of K100 photos and am always looking for them in Gaydon, but I have never found any of PHU503R, YHW664V or NRK790 (it’s all the same truck, but had 3 different registrations).
Bubble (of this forum) gave me some, but I have never found any others in the thousands of photos in the stalls there.
Here are some Aerodynes:
2304KF (what kind of licence plate is that?) Picture taken in Copthorne by Robert Matthews

ETA389T Picture also taken in Copthorne by Robert Matthews

NAC52V

OEU315Y

OHW216Y picture taken at Zolder truck races

Q112JOD picture also taken at Zolder truck races in 1996

Q114JOD

Q394JOD

Q588DEF

photo by David Weston

photo taken at Peterborough Truckfest 3-5-99

photo by David May

pete 359:
i have a peterbilt 359

You have been in Gaydon with your Peterbilt yet? I have seen some there on the CVRTC Show.

hi,
the aerodyne with the three rgistrations was or maybe is? owned by keedwell’s from somerset,i have a photo of it somewehere that i took of it in the total in zeebrugge during the 1990’s.i was at gaydon last year with my peterbilt 359.
regards andrew

Hi andrew/pete359, that’s the one and only!!! And it’s mine now. I have opened a thread for it to try to recover it’s history, because these 3 registrations make it very confusing, especially for someone outside UK.
Can you post the photo on the thread? Here’s the link to it: viewtopic.php?f=35&t=41135&p=458643&hilit=phu503r#p458643
Thanks Gerdi

Hello to all you peeps.
Just managed to get my log in sorted and this is my first time on.

I would like to add my little story to this post.
Back in 1982-83 my first truck was a mighty F7 which many times took me down the M4 and past Dandos yard.
After several drools,I mean visits , I managed to talk to the sales guy.
At that time they had the two ■■■■■■■ motored and one Detroit Aerodiddlydynes
in the yard.All in the red and white liveries.
As time passed into 1984 I was in the market to upgrade and was looking at the 142 as the way to go.
I first approached Dandos for a quote…£55,000 came the reply.
OOOOooooouch.
Scantrux were offering a 112 tag for £28,000 or the 142 for 29,500.
Hence I went for the big Swede and never ever regretted it.
6 years and not one serious mechanical fault that ever put me off the road.

Here is the Mighty 142 at Harbledown on the A2 Dover bound.
I would say it is 1988 as I have a Ferryline fridge on.

Although strictly speakin not a UK Kenworth this is a very youthful 14TOO,with clogs
hoping Santa would grant me one wish.
Taken in Dover 1982’s

Although not a KW or UK registered I found this photo and it might jog some memories.
This German registered Pete was owned by a guy called Hans.
He used to visit my shop in Dover when I finally got out of full time haulage in the 1990’s.
He was contracted to visit truck shows etc.and then set up this hospitality trailer.
The first time he ever visited my shop with the solo unit most of Dover came to have a look as well.
Last time I saw the truck it had been painted all black and some fat wallet was using to carry his Harley on the fifth wheel.

Paddy Keoghan came to see me today and brought some pics in of his Kenworths

Regards Pat