Kenworths in the UK

PHU503R:
Hi all, here is the first load of photos. All photos are scanned from 10x15 and were bought/traded in Gaydon and if there is a name on the back I mention it to avoid any problems with copyright etc.
K/W 1016 Copyright Camlyn Photos

CDT443T

XOU525V

DHW665W Photo Peter J Davies

EHU940W

ETC382W

FHT332W

KEU40X

HHY582X

HHY582X Photo David W.Weston

HHY582X Photo David W.Weston

HHY582X

A256LFH Photo David W.Weston

A256LFH

E963WAH Copyright Andy Ballisat

Q590UWP

Q590UWP Copyright Camlyn Photos

Q590UWP

Q588DEF This photo I took myself in Gaydon, he is always there and the driver’s name is “Big John”

I will add the Aerodynes later and I have another box with 9x13 photos,maybe I find some more KW.

CDT 443T was owned by my mate stephen D fearn of barnsley

hi all, the kenworth jep 71w was owned&operated by dave everton from neyland pembrokeshire.

Great thread…

Trawling through my memory (not easy nowadays :smiley: ) I seem to remember a subbie we had back in about 1990 ish .

Guys name IIRC was Davey (Watson ■■?) a scotsman that used to work for Willie Forsyth of Dunipace Haulage of Denny.
When Willie Forsyths firm was bought out by Janerite Services of Stoke to become Janerite Scotland (very shortlived ) he imported a KW Aerodyne.

He was running to Italy with it still painted orange and liveried up as Allied Freight Lines of Chicago, Illinois.
Sorry but thats about as far as my knowledge goes…anyone else remember it??

i remember meeting a paddy going to turkey and it was his first trip, and told everyone it was his own kenworth, and that was also a green one…anyway he rolled it in romania after we told him not to run rumo at night…could that be the same paddy…

Hi All I think you will find that the ‘Paddy’ with the green KW is the same one whose mentioned quite often on the Southampton Hauliers thread by Ainacs. I met him often truely a ‘Mad Paddy’. Came from Pompy.
I did see the orange one a few times, IIRC it had the long cab - could proove expensive when stopped by a stroppy copper!
Gavin

A visit to Dandos early 80s, young & keen wishing it was mine! Older now but would still play with it given half a chance.

Carryfast:

Gavin McArdle:
Hi carl how quick this page disapears off the front :imp: Just a warning for your friend - tell him DO NOT in any circumstances let anyone use an airgun to remove the rear wheelnuts . the inner tube nuts will snap off like carrots. There should be a proper wheelbrace with a leg to support the end also a tool to remove the broken part if needed with the truck.
If you don’t know, the inner wheel is held on by a tube nut (with the square end) this is tightened and then the outer wheel fitted with the normal nut and this is then tightened,both to about 250lbsft.This tube nut is a casting and very brittle.It’s a pain fitting them but when done right they never come loose. I used to have terrible problems with tyre fitters who would not, not use an airgun and who would insist on torquing up to 600lbsft. I used to remove and fit the wheels myself.
Gavin

I can remember reading about that same issue years ago concerning one run by Edwin Shirley Trucking.I can’t understand why that idea has’nt been taken up by all the European manufacturers as holding two wheels on with one lot of nuts on the outer wheel never seemed to make any sense to me.The old idea of spoked drums with just outer rims with clamps is a good way of doing things too.Anyway in the real world for an owner driver one of these seems a better bet than one of the new generation of computerised Euro machines.I’ve also got a great photo of a Swiss Frederici four wheeler prime mover and two axle drawbar trailer but it’s on a video tape at the moment.

the thames 4d lorries from the 50s had the same thing for their rear wheels I was in the scrap game in the 60s and broke hundreds of the bloody things the inner sleeve nuts were always seized

OHW 216 Y seen at Avonmouth in its working days

The NY Recovery ‘Wrecker’ started life as a 6 wheel unit pulling plant low loaders for neil, before he had it stretched and gave it a new lease of life ‘towing’. :smiley: :smiley:

I have some pics of our current KW’s but htey are all new’ish’. ( 2 yrs old max) :smiley: :smiley:

More pictures of the KW,s at work in the Bristol area.http:
//i986.photobucket.com/albums/ae346/numbum2/215.jpg

Gavin McArdle:
I did see the orange one a few times, IIRC it had the long cab - could proove expensive when stopped by a stroppy copper!
Gavin

Seem to remember that as well . IIRC the guy driving it was constantly buying the gendarmes coffee :wink: :wink: :wink:

I was moving plant around the warickshire countryside on friday and coming into the village of ansley from the north western side there is a farm on the right hand side of the road with a few trucks and trailers.

I always make a habit of nosing into these places as i pass because they invariably have something older left out to pasture in the corner.

Parked up between two fridge trailers was definately a cabover kenworth. It looked a dark red in colour but only caught a glimpse so couldn’t see if it was a flat roof or aerodyne.

Unfortunately I couldn’t catch a name on any of the other stuff in the yard but may be up that way again in the week so will see if I can get more info.

cheers
Neilf

truckyboy:
i remember meeting a paddy going to turkey and it was his first trip, and told everyone it was his own kenworth, and that was also a green one…anyway he rolled it in romania after we told him not to run rumo at night…could that be the same paddy…

The guy is Paddy (Sandals) Keoghan and it was his own Kenworth!!

His son Aaron

He then bought and ran this one eventually selling it in the Middle East!

I have just brought a kenworth k100 from swindon area and fully intend to put it on the road, how do i put photos of it on tho?? (i am new on here)

See here or at top of the home page!

viewtopic.php?f=35&t=35020

hey dillon

lookin forward to seein the pics mate

cheers
gaz

We run these from our base in Kent. I know they are a bit modern by comparison but i thought some of you would like ‘a gander’ :smiley: :smiley:

I remember going to the Kenworth launch in the Dandos Showroom in Chipping Sodbury. Lovely photos of them here too.

BB

CAN ANY 1 HELP ME I AMLOOKING TO FIND MY DADS 2 OLD KENWORTHS K100 HE USED TO RUN TO EURPE THE REGS ARE RTT128W THAT USED TO BELONG TO BEAVER SPORTS AT HUDERSFILED AND THE OTHER REG IS GVV55X THAT HE BOUGHT OUT A SCRAP YARD IN ENGLAND BACK IN THE 1990S