Kenworths in the UK

Back in the 70’s when I worked for a Peterborough haulier, and prior to being old enough to get a driving-licence, I was responsible for the running of the warehouses.
This beauty came in one day to deliver a new forklift for me.
(Incidently, the warehouse shown used to be the Pengco Demountables factory)

]Back in the 70’s when I worked for a Peterborough haulier, and prior to being old enough to get a driving-licence, I was responsible for the running of the warehouses.
This beauty came in one day to deliver a new forklift for me.
(Incidently, the warehouse shown used to be the Pengco Demountables factory)

There you are. Its so nice, you get it twice!

The 2 wreckers in this thread, 1 Peter Gilder signwritten and the other in P.G clours but no signwriting.
From what I remember, back in the 80s he went on holiday to states and bought a few trucks while he was there,as you do :unamused:
They were in the yard for ages, we did run some (unofficially) on the livestock, I know Mudworm drove one for few weeks, said it went like stink but was a pig to drive !
Then some(or all ) were converted to wreckers, the one in the pic with Steve Cook loading trailer on trailer, he kept for a while.
I rememebr Cookie having to fetch a loaded broken down Cargo from Aust services I think, the driver said his Cargo had nver travelled up the M5 so quick ! with 1 set of wheels off the ground too ! :laughing:
As for Accra depot, if my grey matter isnt playing tricks on me, he ran White road commanders out there,this was in the 90`s, shipped them out on boat, one was in the yard waiting for a trailer to go with it, when he bought a trailer, he was looking for someone to drive it down,cos he could load it part way and make a few $.

Great thread, didn’t realise there was so many Kenworths about…
Can remember John Goldings, Paul R Maggs and Fredericis… These pics were given to me in a batch from a mate… Not sure who owned this KW.

Someone out there will know this KW,

Can remember John Goldings, Paul R Maggs and Fredericis… These pics were given to me in a batch from a mate… Not sure who owned this KW.

■■■■■■ laptops on the blink… or is it me… :blush: :blush:

Hi all - Great Thread

My father ran a Mack & a kenworth in the 80`s.

We would like to find the KW as he would like truck to take on runs & show. Her Reg was EFB502W.

She is pictured below and features on another thread on here about South Wales Hauliers.

Here’s a lookalike copied from Bubbleman:

gunnerheskey:

When it was in the blue livery i think it was owned by Norman Keedwell. Then it went to J C Spencer for a short while, being replaced with a Foden N14-525.

Spotted a dark blue K100 aerodyne pullin a plane white fridge on the M25 near leatherhead last night.

I’m pretty certain it was uk registered and it was pullin a fridge that was above 4m.

Cheers
Neilf

gunnerheskey:

correct me if im wrong or stating what is already known, but isnt this the ect rycroft kw seen on page 1?

hey does anyone remember two kw’s ran here. featured in one of the magazines, 1 conventional and 1 cabover both rigids,red and white…ran by boc nowsco iirc…anyone know what happenened to them?

gunnerheskey:

Thats my old man driving it to have it tested in Calne.
the picture of it green is when spencers ran it. he bought it from them in green and sprayed it. Any idea who owns it now or contact info for anyone who might be able to help find it would be much appreciated.
Cheers Roy

F590DUH when Chris Johnson had it, driver was Trevor

Thanks
Mark

Mark Allens 1979 ■■■■■■■ powered Kenworth loaded with Coils from Newport South wales to the Midlands

Kenworth at Gaydon truck show 2008

hi all. My dad Peter Fay worked for Whitwells and drove LOU555Y from new,it was painted in Whitwells blue until it was turned over on warwick rd by a relief driver while my dad was on holiday. Whitwells had 4 4x2 units a 6x4 unit with a flat roof then when 1 of the volvo f10s went they had a 6x4 unit with aerodyne cab. i was about 13 when my dad got the kenworth he had an aec marshall, volvo f88 then the kenworth. whitwills was a cracking firm to work for with a great bunch of drivers n good motors. if anyone wants more info let me. :smiley:

Have only just discovered this site, it makes great reading! On this Kenworth post two of my old K whoppers, OUH484X, fleet spec, 14litre Big Cam @350hp, 9speed Fuller, Reyco springs, Trilex back end, and the greenest of green VIT button back interior, cooled with twin fans (no aircon). Despite what the know alls say a very comfy ride, and good puller. Got bored , and as you do had a roll up deal with my friend Mark Withers, ending up owning his T600 4X2 Ardvark. as photographed 09 01 2010. (sorry mature years do not aid me with computing, so refrences may be a little out)!! Mark was pretty sore that the signwriter had mis spelt his daughters name Georgia on the bonnet sides! Well I will try not to bore you so will be brief. The T600 was to become a sort of deluxe motor home, with drawbar capability to tow a rather nice Broshuis machinery trailer to carry various bits of my vehicle collection, T34, Abbott 105mm SPG, SARACEN etc. Thinking about it, 6x4 would be better, so as I had in the yard a Coffin cab K100. (walkin tall) we decided to cut each in two, and swop back ends! Particularly as Walkin Tall had an 8 bag air rear end! So now I had a 6x4 T600, Mark a 4x2 K100 0n air that I think went to East Anglia as a Hay and Straw lorry.Now I had a viable 6x4 tractor so forget the drawbar, (easily sold) straight under my old King, on with the T34, and away. She was nearly as good as my old Mack F786, (RIJ334) but not quite! Oh I do love Macks. The 33inch sleeper was a bit small, easy fit the Double Eagle 110 inch on a W900 that I had just imported,How, cut that long suffering chassis in two again, and pop in a little bit more! Whilst in surgery I sold the W900 (14 litre 13speed o.d.8bag all alloy Budds) so I now had 20ft wb 6x4 with a 33inch sleeper. The answer build a properly engineered alloy sleeper of 120inches. This was done superbly by my friends the Hobson family. Completed with stainless steel deflectors, lockers, trims,a mega expensive Pearl paint job she was quite a looker, and with fitted US porcelain WC shower Rock and Roll beds, full kitchen was good to live in. On the road loaded she went well, but demanded total concentration, and avoidance of twisty roads at all costs!! We kept her for a number of years, showed her, had her vandalised at Truckfest, (that really finished my interest in truck shows). She was featured in that Daily Star truck paper (Truckstop News)■■ Then she just sat in the yard, so one day my wife advertised her, and she ended up in the ownership of Connail Mc Ginn in Ballycastle. The last I saw of her was of her , lights a twinkling going onto the Norse Irish ferry at Liverpool (following a well above speed limit run from the Midlands)! Since then I know that C209KAX has come back to the mainland so someone owns her, but she really isnt what she seems!! I have loads of photographs of her, but no means of putting them up!! Someone must have one that they can show, please do so if you can. To the current owner, she may look like a 14litre 400hp, but she is not. Oh no sir, she is truly a “cour de lion” she has really been worked on, and that 9speed fuller is only there because I wanted to hang onto the 15speed double overdrive!Hope that somebody can respond, always liked Kenworth, (I imported enough), but they aint as good as a Mack!! Salut.

Saviem:
. She was featured in that Daily Star truck paper (Truckstop News)■■ Then she just sat in the yard, so one day my wife advertised her, and she ended up in the ownership of Connail Mc Ginn in Ballycastle. The last I saw of her was of her , lights a twinkling going onto the Norse Irish ferry at Liverpool (following a well above speed limit run from the Midlands)! Since then I know that C209KAX has come back to the mainland so someone owns her, but she really isnt what she seems!! I have loads of photographs of her, but no means of putting them up!! Someone must have one that they can show, please do so if you can. To the current owner, she may look like a 14litre 400hp, but she is not. Oh no sir, she is truly a “cour de lion” she has really been worked on, and that 9speed fuller is only there because I wanted to hang onto the 15speed double overdrive!Hope that somebody can respond, always liked Kenworth, (I imported enough), but they aint as good as a Mack!! Salut.

I can remember C209 KAX very well!! My mothers family and the Mc Ginn Family were great friends over the years.My Uncle went to school with Conail and worked for him in the 80s and 90s and i was lucky to spend the holidays in Mc Ginns trucks with my uncle.

Conail would have bought the Kenworth around 1991-1994 and used it with a hospitality trailer for advertising his Heavy Haulage business and his newly built Hotel at the time.
I was fortunate to be taken for many drives in the Kenworth and to this day i can remember the interior and the dominating appearance of the Kenworth and it was best to avoid the town and urban areas!!!
The Kenworth was stored in a large shed in Ballycastle for a number of years until Conails death in 2004.
I believe it was then sold in the Mid Ulster area with intentions of joining the Circus but was parked in a shed once again until 2008/2009
It remained in the Mc Ginn livery during this time
Did you meet Conail himself?? He was a great character who left a very lasting impression…

I have photographs of the Kenworth in it’s days with Mc Ginn…I must scan them first and then i will post them for you.
Heres a Local newspapers tribute to Conail after his death in 2004
I’am always looking for photos of Mc Ginn Freight’s fleet if anyone has some
ballymoneytimes.co.uk/news/l … _1_1816901