Kenworths in the UK

Hi Bev I used to work with Toby Hollands dad (Jack always wore a dutch bargees cap) at Yeomans. If Toby is still on the road look out for Saxon Freight.

Spardo you can import any truck regardless of year or spec, but you can’t use it on general haulage. you can use it as a wrecker or lowloader I.E. outside of ‘construction & use’ or as private, it would make a right posy camper van as you say! I understand you can get single vehicle type approval for cars but I don’t think that applies for trucks.
Gavin

Bubbleman
Thanks for the posting of F590 DUH its always good to see the pictures of when the wagon was working. I remember seeing it in both colours with Goulings trailers on. The history after that i dont no apart from it was bought by a bloke i worked for called Nick Anderson who kept it for a while, which was when i drove it. It then moved to someone else who showed it off at Truck shows for a while and i see it in Classic & Vintage Commercial Magazine up for sale in Ireland just before christmas. With a bit of luck someone will get it an look after it… I think he wanted £10`000 for it.
Everyone Else.
We could all chip in and buy it… But as i have driven it already i get first drive!!!

Here are a few for you. I will dig some more out soon.

Hi Gavin , Gerdi and all , really great new photo s on here this week . With regards to the year of manufacture I was always told that the date was cast into the stem of the clutch pedal . If I remember it was one of the guys from Western Trucks up at Preston who told me this when I used to order spares . Cant remember the guys names now . If you look on the side of the clutch pedal stem , Gerdi you will see it was cast in 1977 . I always took this to be correct but I may be wrong . One thing I do remember was how cheap the spares were .

Steve

kwhopper:
Hi Gavin , Gerdi and all , really great new photo s on here this week . With regards to the year of manufacture I was always told that the date was cast into the stem of the clutch pedal . If I remember it was one of the guys from Western Trucks up at Preston who told me this when I used to order spares . Cant remember the guys names now . If you look on the side of the clutch pedal stem , Gerdi you will see it was cast in 1977 . I always took this to be correct but I may be wrong . One thing I do remember was how cheap the spares were .

Steve

Hi all You are right Steve in fact just about every part of my KW had the part no, chassis no and the date of manufacture on it. If you need any more confirmation Gerdi try taking off a piece of trim and see what is on the reverse, all the dates on mine were within a couple of months.

Gavin McArdle:
Spardo you can import any truck regardless of year or spec, but you can’t use it on general haulage. you can use it as a wrecker or lowloader I.E. outside of ‘construction & use’ or as private, it would make a right posy camper van as you say! I understand you can get single vehicle type approval for cars but I don’t think that applies for trucks.
Gavin

Thanks Gavin, that’s what I thought, seems kind of illogical though doesn’t it?
I mean if a vehicle isn’t fit for the road because it doesn’t come up to European standards, then it’s not fit for the road, whatever you use it for.

Hi all, here is the first load of photos. All photos are scanned from 10x15 and were bought/traded in Gaydon and if there is a name on the back I mention it to avoid any problems with copyright etc.
K/W 1016 Copyright Camlyn Photos

CDT443T

XOU525V

DHW665W Photo Peter J Davies

EHU940W

ETC382W

FHT332W

KEU40X

HHY582X

HHY582X Photo David W.Weston

HHY582X Photo David W.Weston

HHY582X

A256LFH Photo David W.Weston

A256LFH

E963WAH Copyright Andy Ballisat

Q590UWP

Q590UWP Copyright Camlyn Photos

Q590UWP

Q588DEF This photo I took myself in Gaydon, he is always there and the driver’s name is “Big John”

I will add the Aerodynes later and I have another box with 9x13 photos,maybe I find some more KW.

PHU503R

Brilliant photos, thanks for posting.

I notice in this one there is a Crusader that loks the dogs in the backgroud, do you have a full photo of it by any chance.

Regards
Ant

A couple more I’ve found
Battersea and my nice new trailer!

Here’s one in it’s natural habitat.

Nice looking motor, i have a long nose Pete, I’d swap for a clean 1 of these anyday though, someone needs to tell the yanks that proper lorries don’t have bonnets :wink: :laughing:

Gavin McArdle:
A couple more I’ve found Battersea and my nice new trailer!

Gavin, I wondered why are the wheels of the trailer so far back■■? I also noticed it years ago on my Zeebrugge picture.

Hi Gerdi, Dover docks used to have an axle weighbridge which was free for drivers to use. Overloading axles has always been an expensive problem in the UK. I was finding that when I was back loading groupage that the trailer axles were often right on the limit (some times over) while the unit axles were nowhere near the limit.( 38 tons at that time) A normal trailer (12 m) is designed to put about 9 tons on the 5th wheel so I had my new one designed to put 14 tons on the 5th wheel.
It was also embarrassing getting stuck with a double-drive that was running too light on the drive axles, with that trailer I could drive anywhere with no problems.
Gavin

edtheshark:
Big Leegy,

Eubank had a Peterbilt tractor unit, that was involved in a little altercation in Brighton. He also used it in supporting a variety of causes he was interested in!!

Did’nt he run it into the railings at the end of Downing street ? I cannot remember what happened about it, Too many birthdays.
On the matter of Kenworth vehicles in UK, I know Ruttle Plant hire at Chorley ran a good few Macks but I seem to
remember them running a Kenworth, I will try my mate Mick Brady who drove for Ruttles for many years.
regards Big Al

Big Al:

edtheshark:
Big Leegy,

Eubank had a Peterbilt tractor unit, that was involved in a little altercation in Brighton. He also used it in supporting a variety of causes he was interested in!!

Did’nt he run it into the railings at the end of Downing street ? I cannot remember what happened about it, Too many birthdays.
On the matter of Kenworth vehicles in UK, I know Ruttle Plant hire at Chorley ran a good few Macks but I seem to
remember them running a Kenworth, I will try my mate Mick Brady who drove for Ruttles for many years.
regards Big Al

That Kenworth is shown on this thread in the colours of some of its owners
Gavin

PHU503R:

Gavin McArdle:
A couple more I’ve found Battersea and my nice new trailer!

Gavin, I wondered why are the wheels of the trailer so far back■■? I also noticed it years ago on my Zeebrugge picture.

Could it be a conversion from a tandem? The 3rd axle merely being added at the back, perhaps?

Hi Gavin
A couple more Kenworths in the U.K.
The first was at the Great Dorset Steam Fair a few years ago,& the second is as it say on the tin Rchard Walkers’ truck racer transporter @ Brands Hatch in the 90’s Hope you all enjoy.

truckerash:

Gavin McArdle:
I have taken a chance and started a new topic so as not to swamp Trucker Ash’s 80’s one Gavin

Hi Gavin and thanks for the new thread.
I was never into Yanky trucks, except when they were dreesed in a “more sombre” British guise.
There were some lovely ones about in the 80’s so here are a few of mine to add to the collection here.

Heres another (worse) shot of the ECT truck: I was a teenager when I saw it in Oporto Portugal. I was riding in a Scania 111 for Partricks. I remember there was about 6 of us sat in the cab at night and everyone was laughing. I couldn’t stop, no matter what was being said I was laughing at everything :smiley: and there was a really funny smell in the cab… :confused: oh and some were smoking. Is that relavent to the smell? Reckon that was my 1st experience :blush:

Bubbs has posted this 1 before, but I used to see it most weeks in Northampton where I lived then

Truckfest Peter-bog-horror. Can’t remember the year.

Are bonnetts allowed Gavin ?

Can’t remember where I got this photo from. Any clues as to who’s it was ■■

Saw this in Dover on many occassions. Even had a matching Yanky trailer.

As far as I know Peter Gilder only had this 1 KW. A256 LFH.
He had a company out in ACCRA TEMA, Ghana and ran some Volvo/Whites there. Got a couple of pics of them but where shall I post them?
Any one know any history of this truck?

Sorry if the photos are too big. I couldn’t be bothered to resize them. It never works for me anyway, so why bother :cry:

Here’s another of the ECT kennie,i think it’s when we travelled down together in '79.it’s also Oporto,on the beach@Matosinios,long before it went posh.
I done Portugal for 17yrs staight then changed company’s and went there on & off for another 5yrs.Good day’s. :sunglasses: :sunglasses:

What a great thread MORE PLEEZE :smiley: :smiley: :smiley: :smiley: :smiley: :sunglasses: :sunglasses: :sunglasses: :sunglasses: :sunglasses: :sunglasses: :sunglasses:

Just seen a k100 for sale £6750 www.sheltonmotors.co.uk got a few yanks on there

Hi Gavin sorry to be informal as I don’t know you but I am sure you will be interested in this picture of your old Kenworth my mate John bought this over the weekend. He drove it from the Oxford area to Manchester said “it went like a dream”. He spent the weekend cleaning it up and removing the bull bar off the front. I will post some more pics if this works out and fill you in with some more info as this is the first time I have done this.