Kenworths in the UK

With a few added stickers, I rekon that French expo truck in Southampton was the same one with the RTL stickers PHU503R. Note in my photos the reg. no. is hand written, normal practice for temporary import French vehicles.

I noticed one for sale in last weeks Truck Trader.

RT

gazzer:
With a few added stickers, I rekon that French expo truck in Southampton was the same one with the RTL stickers PHU503R. Note in my photos the reg. no. is hand written, normal practice for temporary import French vehicles.

Also, am I right in thinking that the WW designation is for trucks awaiting full registration?
I seem to remember when I was given my new Magnum I was well impressed that the short reg. number was so easy to memorise and write - and then being dismayed after a week or so when told to go into the Renault dealer to have the permanent plates rivetted on. :cry:

Hi Gerdi I have just had a thouhgt if you look st the pic that Ash has posted of the ECT KW on the previous page you will see it has a water filler on the RH rear corner of the cab. I think it was the water supply for the kitchen. Neither mine or the Aerospace one has that fitting. Also check out the front bumper!
I wonder if the one on French reg is also the third one in the pic of three, is so where did it go?
Gerdi please do not apologize for your English, it is 100% better than my Flemish! Thats one language I could never understand, and I know it’s easy even the children can speak it where you live!
Gavin

Spardo: Found that snap of Walti’s KW dragging a Hangartner trailer.

This was my White I used to do Portugal with ; great for sleeping & photos.

Spardo:

gazzer:

Also, am I right in thinking that the WW designation is for trucks awaiting full registration?
I seem to remember when I was given my new Magnum I was well impressed that the short reg. number was so easy to memorise and write - and then being dismayed after a week or so when told to go into the Renault dealer to have the permanent plates riveted on. :cry:

Yes Spardo,you are right about the WW numbers and also WWW ,they are a French type trade plate,when I bought a new car out of another Department it was***WWW35 and was registered with its proper number ****XJ 22. The garage charged me by the day for the www plates until its proper registration, also as you said number plates have to be pop rivited on by law.

harry:

Spardo: Found that snap of Walti’s KW dragging a Hangartner trailer.

This was my White I used to do Portugal with ; great for sleeping & photos.

Harry when was your pic of Waltis KW taken any idea? I’m sure that is either the same one as ECT’s and now is PHU or it’s sister it has the filler cap on the RH rear of the cab. Do you know if it had a Detroit?

Hi Steve welcome aboard! Did you notice Gerdi has a tread just for PHU its now dropped back to page 2 of the index, put some pics on and it will come up to the front.
Gavin

Thanks Pat good idea , will give it a try

Hi Gavin , yes Gerdi has told me about his new thread , Pat just gave me an idea to copy an enlargement to go on here . Really enjoy reading all this new info . Speak soon

Steve

HI All. I’ve been studying the pics closely and am now even more confused!
I am sure that Waltis KW, ECT(Rycroft) and PHU are either the same truck or sister trucks. They all have the water tank cap on the right hand side, they all have a single grab handle on the R.H. side they all have the same short step on the L.H. side and they all have the same front bumper. Gerdi if you look on the diesel tank around the filler cap or on the drivers door edge it should give the date of manufacture.
The silver one is not PHU because it has a rear window in the cab, but it is a Dando spec one :- merc side lights Hella indicators (with the side indicator not round and fitted low down) and slimmer closer fitting grab rails( compare with Boyze’s). Dando’s had a supply of these when I bought their stock I received about 6 sets. I can not get TopRun to run so I can’t check to see what spec Fredericci’s are.
I think I can now remember Dandos saying that one KW went to a French motor show it was sold there but was brought to England for PDI. The problem is I don’t know if I am remembering this or imagining it! It might explain why it has proper French no’s in the pics.
That leaves us with the third one in the pic at Dandos all three have double grab rails on the RH side. Gerdi I think yours has still got a single one but I can’t see a clear pic, have you got a pic of the RH side Gerdi?

Harry I remember the white with the Aerodyne type cab and another one but I can’t place that one they used to park near Aquillas warehouse at Matoshinos in 85/85 sometimes would that have been you?

Gavin McArdle:
HI All. I’ve been studying the pics closely and am now even more confused!
I am sure that Waltis KW, ECT(Rycroft) and PHU are either the same truck or sister trucks. They all have the water tank cap on the right hand side, they all have a single grab handle on the R.H. side they all have the same short step on the L.H. side and they all have the same front bumper. Gerdi if you look on the diesel tank around the filler cap or on the drivers door edge it should give the date of manufacture.

Hi Gavin, my truck is not in my place, but I know around the filler cap it says “manufactured October 1976”

Gavin McArdle:
That leaves us with the third one in the pic at Dandos all three have double grab rails on the RH side. Gerdi I think yours has still got a single one but I can’t see a clear pic, have you got a pic of the RH side Gerdi?

My truck has indeed a double handrail and a short step on the LH side and a single rail and NO step on the RH side. Also the position and the shape of the small lights and reflectors on the bottom corners of the cab is the same. In this weekend, I will try to scan ALL my english KW photos (PHU and others) and post them here or in my thread.

This is a snap of Walter & Tom ,the Hangartner agent in Western Docks circa ?

Gavin McArdle; The KW had a ■■■■■■■ & only did Swiss/UK. My White also had a ■■■■■■■ & did Swiss/Spain/Portugal / Germany.

Thought I would post this. It belongs to my mate Tony who used to do two trips a week to Swiss for Leggets in an old Atki with a pigeon coop tacked on the back.
Its his toy ;he imported from NY last year & its his hobby.

Harry, thats a smart Peterbilt. He’s not going to be able to carry much in that scabby trailer though!!
Gavin

Its plated for 200t ;but you’re right about the trailer ,its overdue for an upgrade.
Needless to say Tony got out of trucking years ago. Its a ■■■■■■■ BTW
PS. That red sticker on the air filter reads,’ When I grow up I want to be a Kenworth!’

Nice pics Harry, and good to read some background of the bloke I nearly met.
Just as a matter of interest, the type approval which seems so hard to get for US vehicles like that, is that just for use as a commercial vehicle?
In other words could your mate use that Pete as a sort of extravagant caravan?

:sunglasses: hi gavin , just been reading some of the postings on here and see you have mentioned a old work mate of mine,TOBY HOLLAND.Well toby used to drive for a dutch company,and norbet,then i first met him when i used to work at henstridge for a bloke called COLLIN TUCK down on the air field in one of the hangers opposite nitrovites,he was on the spanners then, he then disapeared for a while, then i bumped into him about 2yrs later and he tryed to set me up with a kenworth,he was then selling them out of CB MORGANS yard at SHAFTESBURY,i again lost contact with him and have never heard from him since. i dont know if you remember COLLIN TUCK but i was driving for him for quite a while, he did move from hestridge and then we were working out of PETER GREENS at evercreech.i was on the wet fish run to spain for ralph davies,who we subbied for,in thoses days i had the wessex worrior,a foden with a four and a quarter CAT in her,candy apple red, with george and the dragon painted on her,what a tool, even the 500 centurions that ralphy had couldnt keep with her weight for weight.going back to the henstidge day there used to be a lad down there with a yanky white and we fitted a tag axle to her, i think if my memory serves me well his name was OLLI (cant think of his surname) big guy with a beard, loverly fellow.Do you know what toby is up to these days???Regards Bev. :unamused: :unamused:

Spardo:
Nice pics Harry, and good to read some background of the bloke I nearly met.
Just as a matter of interest, the type approval which seems so hard to get for US vehicles like that, is that just for use as a commercial vehicle?
In other words could your mate use that Pete as a sort of extravagant caravan?

Strictly Toy!!!