Keeping a diary?

Does anybody else keep a diary of times, units driven (if you haven’t got the same one) and where you’ve been?

Can’t say I do, but think it would be a great thing to look at after say 10 years, especially if the diary contained pictures.

Since January I have kept quite a detailed diary: start/finish times, start/end mileage, unit, trailer, which drops I’ve had, number of pallets at each drop, fuel drawn, driving time vs working hours.

I keep it primarily to cover me in the event of a dispute, I have my own complete record. I also keep it because I’m a sad bar steward and at the end of the year I want to work out how many Kms I’ve done for the year, which stores Ive been to the most etc.

I keep a daily, weekly and running record of the distance I have driven.

iv got one for start finish times driving times breaks and also where i began and finished as its good to look at say in 6months time or 2yrs and see how long it took me over night from one city to the next also if it was double driven and how long that took. just for my self really and it has come in handy time to time

I’ve been keeping one for the past 8 years. Start, Finish times and total hours worked. Unit(s) and trailer(s) used. Where I went. Drive time, break time and total km’s driven.

I keep it in case of dispute and out of habit now. I can’t be arsed working out yearly km’s though, it’d take far too long!

I keep all my old ones going back to 2006. I started keeping one after I’d been driving 8 months after I saw another driver doing it. I don’t know what he put in, I decided my own parameters to note.

Keep a diary of everything during the day you never know when you will want the info for the office

I drive mainly oil tankers over the last 6 years and you never know what info the office will ring looking for a month on … :unamused:

Always, tachos only go back to 28 days.

What size diaries you all got then?

ril4881:

I only use the smallish ones with a full week on each page, it’s enough for what I need.

ril4881:

A4 week to two pages purely so I can fold WTD and meal claim sheets in half and the edges don’t get chewed while in my bag.

OP- I note all reg and trailer numbers alongside run numbers as Transport may change your route and not record it properly and try and pin you for another drivers mistake.

DAF95XF:
Does anybody else keep a diary of times, units driven (if you haven’t got the same one) and where you’ve been?

you work for Tesco at Reading don’t you?? how’s it goin with the job??

as for the diary, I keep one and write down start/finish time,unit reg, trailer number and jobs I’ve done for the day . also total up hours at the end of the week and write out how much overtime I’ve done.

it’s worth doing I think

@selbynewcomer aren’t you at tesco RG as well…?

I keep note of my driving time, working time & duty time(for financial reasons), leave the vehicle stuff on the tacho :slight_smile:

Thats mine including
fleet number, if its hire i write the reg.
Trailer numbers.
Customers/collections done
Poa in minutes
Mpg
WTD
Drive time
Only one i dont do is kms which i might start.

Done this ever since i started driving got about 6-7 of these diaries in a shoe box.

I’ve got an A5 size diary, each weekday is a full page with a page halved for Saturday and Sunday.

I keep a record of; Company, Vehicle Reg/Fleet Number, start time, time left and then each drop with arrival and departure times and finally arrival time back at depot with clocking off time.

On my primary phone I have an app called truck timer and keep a GPS record too. Recently started experimenting with a camera app on my second phone.

I will after reading this keep a record of fuel drawn and better info on lorry and trailer.

Phew, is there any more I can do?

Record everything,
Start and finish times, delivery times, waiting time load ref, seal numbers, fuel, kilometers ect ect.

Put it all on the cloud via my mobi, did use spread sheets on my lappy but lappys have a habit of going [zb].

Pimpdaddy:
@selbynewcomer aren’t you at tesco RG as well…?

yeah I am mate, so far so good, enjoying it so it can’t be that bad. not missing my last job at all apart from having my own unit.

I have an A4 diary, kept one for years, still got them all.

I record start time and mileage, brief description of every job ie - JCB 3cx Brentwood - Ipswich, finish time and mileage. Where and when breaks taken.

Any relevant phone numbers, gate codes, machine codes all go in. Or if driving a different vehicle, note reg and route

Also note tyre mileages and anything unusual that happened during the day.

I’ve often referred back to jog my memory about something or for a phone number. Thankfully never yet needed to back me up though.

I do for my full time job and always have done since I was 23! Got 10 years of my varied working life not interesting to outsiders to read obviously.

But its interesting to see the projects I’ve been involved in when I look back. Don’t think anyone else would think so. Wife wants me to throw them out as they are the big A4 day to a page ones and they’re getting in the way! :laughing:

Log my mileage and registration on my trucktimer app. Back up weekly on to desktop.

Saved to that day then and there’s a big note column should something happen unusually. And that can be added at any mode change, so you can record it to the minute in essence whilst its happening if you so desire, throughout the day.

But I’m agency. So none of my work is interesting really yet. So I don’t record the actual details of the day as such. As its one day a week you can usually remember what’s happened upto about a fortnight ago, after that my brain goes fuzzy! :blush: :laughing:

C

Keep DIary A5 vehicle reg start /finish km ( also total ) delivery point where stopped for night daily drive & weekly drive working time break

Anything else of note that needs recording