INTERNET CONNECTION

Hi, please can someone advise me on the best way to get the internet on my notebook / laptop in my truck. I know a lot of you take laptops with you, I am with virgin media at the moment at home. I have wi fi . I will be doing Europe soon but I have never had a laptop with me before.
Thank you.

I use a 3 dongle,fairly good coverage, pay-as-you-go,pay for what you will need. I spend £15 a month,seldom go over.
That’s in UK only. You’ll have to do some research on the best deal for europe.

I use my phone as a potable wifi hotspot.

Same I use three and £36 a month and get unlimited internet, and it works fine,

Hi - Not sure if theyre still doing it but Im on my fourth PAYG t-mobile dongle. £30 gives you 90 days unlimited browsing/emails + 1GB per mth downloading/streaming. At £15 per GB top-up thereafter, Ive found it better to just buy another dongle when your 90 days expires. Not a bad package really for a tenner a month, and no complaints about connectivity/performance. Dont know the score regarding smartphone or European use though.

■■■■■■■:
… or European use though.

Most stardard packages have monumental charges if you use them outside the UK. I know someone who came who from holiday to a bill for £400!

Vodaphone do a special deal for use abroad, I think 3 also do.

I use a T Mobile dongle now EE I believe…£2 for one day £4 for 3 days £7 for seven days plus more.
No contract.

Tether your mobile to the laptop. You can then use your phone’s 3G signal.

Derf:

I’ve tried to do that but don’t know how to ‘make it’ connect. Couldn’t find the right menu!

Derf:

I find mine always finds a signal.
But is useless if i want to stream anything.
But its ok to just view webpages.
I dont know if that is down to having a low spec phone.or it would be the same if i had an all singing dancing top of the range jo
bby.

For using the mobile Internet with a stick in all over Europe there are two options…
One is buy a sim card for a free mobile stick for laptop in every country…or there are a few good tariffs from three austria for europe.I´m not sure if three uk have the same tariffs.
This page is only in german language but i think it won´t be a problem to translate it with google.Maybe it will help.

http://www.drei.at/portal/de/privat/tarife/roaming/roaming-wertkarte/zusatzpaket/

http://www.drei.at/portal/de/privat/tarife/telefonie/halloeuropa/

Or you can maybe use a lot of free wifi points by wlan at a lot of service stations.

Three looks like the best option. “Feel at home deal”.
You can use your phone and internet whilst abroad on the same deal as at home. Not all countries yet.

tonyb70:

Derf:

I find mine always finds a signal.
But is useless if i want to stream anything.
But its ok to just view webpages.
I dont know if that is down to having a low spec phone.or it would be the same if i had an all singing dancing top of the range jo
bby.

If your parked near a load of trucks, Huntingdon industrial estate is a prime example, you will have problems streaming, because most of them drivers will be on **** tube sucking up all the band width knocking one out.
You will also have the same problem in truckstops because of that reason! Well they may also be watching catch up tv as well, haha.

Does anyone on here use a dongle for their iPad? I’m told you can’t.

Thereal-john:

Thats right. If yours is wi fi only then you can piggy back off a phone. Some Ipads are wi and g3 so you can insert a sim? (in effect its its own dongle) .

Cheers mike :smiley:

One plan from 3. £15 per month sim only or £36 with a decent phone.

It is faster than 4g and unlimited data. I am after setting a new limit this month.

Tethering (connection sharing) also unlimited

So far so good

Thereal-john:

Mike-C:

Thereal-john:

You could connect it to a wifi dongley thing, three do one called mifi, works just as good as a USB dongle and is ideal for tablets and you can get it on payg.

weeto:

Thereal-john:

Mike-C:

Thereal-john:

You could connect it to a wifi dongley thing, three do one called mifi, works just as good as a USB dongle and is ideal for tablets and you can get it on payg.[/quote

Thats what i am using,makes the whole cab wi-fi so my 2 phones ,tablet and laptop connect automaticly. very impressed with it and simple to set up and use, no one else can use it without your key.