Interesting Email from VOSA

just received an email from VOSA, which i get on a regular basis for information

in the latest email, it has got the statistics of vehicles pulled in for inspection, from PCV’s to UK LGV’s and non UK LGV’s

it makes interesting reading :open_mouth:

for the 3 month period of July, August and September, the results are as follows

Vehicles inspected

UK 27,351

Overseas 24,835

Roadworthiness Prohibitions

UK 6573

Overseas 5759

Drivers Hours Breaches

UK 2357

Overseas 1957

Overloaded

UK 905

Overseas 422

it also mentions Annual Test figures

LGV’s tested in the same period

167,872 tested with a 79.9% pass rate

PCV’s tested

20,080 tested with an 80.3 pass rate

i was surprised at the figures for the UK based vehicles compared to the overseas based vehicles

I’ve just logged in with the intention of posting the same information! Good job I checked first.

I think the figures are terrible. 27,351 UK vehicles stopped over 3 months, 6,573 roadwortiness prohibitions :open_mouth: Just about 25% :open_mouth: And 2,357 drivers hours breaches plus 905 overloaded

Then if you look at the top 10 prohibitions for HGV, BRAKES 10%, TYRES 5.6%, SERVICE BRAKE 3.6%, STEERING 2.8%. Wouldn’t be so bad if it was 6,000 prohibitions for a blown bulb but it isn’t! Lights are only 1.8% of prohibitions

UK vehicles are actually doing worse than overseas vehicles.

It goes on to say that 85% of issues found at the roadside should have been detected by the driver carrying out a proper walkaround check or by noticing changes in handling during vehicle use.

MOT pass rate of 79.9% … that isn’t good.

The same email also confirms that VOSA will check DQC card for DCPC at every routine encounter plus checks of Operators to ensure DCPC records are being monitored by them. All drivers without the card will be reported to the TC. All operators not checking will be reported to the TC

shep532:
I’ve just logged in with the intention of posting the same information! Good job I checked first.

I think the figures are terrible. 27,351 UK vehicles stopped over 3 months, 6,573 roadwortiness prohibitions :open_mouth: Just about 25% :open_mouth: And 2,357 drivers hours breaches plus 905 overloaded

Then if you look at the top 10 prohibitions for HGV, BRAKES 10%, TYRES 5.6%, SERVICE BRAKE 3.6%, STEERING 2.8%. Wouldn’t be so bad if it was 6,000 prohibitions for a blown bulb but it isn’t! Lights are only 1.8% of prohibitions

UK vehicles are actually doing worse than overseas vehicles.

It goes on to say that 85% of issues found at the roadside should have been detected by the driver carrying out a proper walkaround check or by noticing changes in handling during vehicle use.

MOT pass rate of 79.9% … that isn’t good.

The same email also confirms that VOSA will check DQC card for DCPC at every routine encounter plus checks of Operators to ensure DCPC records are being monitored by them. All drivers without the card will be reported to the TC. All operators not checking will be reported to the TC

not necessarilly so, a bulb can go at any time, i did my checks yesterday morning, all bulbs working, by yesterday afternoon, i had got 2 bulbs out on the trailer, i would still have been part of the 1.8% even after doing my walk round checks :frowning:

shuttlespanker:
i was surprised at the figures for the UK based vehicles compared to the overseas based vehicles

I was suprised too.Its not a lot of offences considering the checks are targetted.

The MOT pass rate is for first pass - up from 74.47% 2010/11 - say a headlamp being out of alignment at MOT, a quick fix would show as a fail even though 30 seconds later it would be fixed and pass.

If you look at the figures for 2010/11 UK drivers have improved - we were much worse back then.

From an economic point of view it wouldn’t be surprising that companies that have bigger overheads on driver wages and fuel have less over to spend on maintenance.

Mike-C:

shuttlespanker:

I was suprised too.Its not a lot of offences considering the checks are targetted.

Got to agree with Mike :smiley:

Here’s 2008 figures viewtopic.php?f=2&t=92514&start=150#p1328936

shep532I’ve just logged in with the intention of posting the same information! Good job I checked first.:
The same email also confirms that VOSA will check DQC card for DCPC at every routine encounter plus checks of Operators to ensure DCPC records are being monitored by them. All drivers without the card will be reported to the TC.

Why? You don’t need a DQC and won’t for another two years.

Re: Drivers

Doesn’t state how many of the UK based drivers are actually foreign nationals driving UK trucks to be devils advocate.

Most of the big companies I see the infringement notice board generally shows a 70/30 split in names which end “ski” vs English names, which either means they only employ 30% English drivers or that in general our foreign friends get more infringements.

Question - how do you get the vosa e-mail sent to you…?

Answer - my dcpc instructor person said that you should carry your photo card with you if you have code 107 - grandfather rights to prove you dont need you DQC card till Sept 2014, at all times, as it also proves that you did not have to do the mod 2 and 4.

Jenson Button:
Question - how do you get the vosa e-mail sent to you…?

Answer - my dcpc instructor person said that you should carry your photo card with you if you have code 107 - grandfather rights to prove you dont need you DQC card till Sept 2014, at all times, as it also proves that you did not have to do the mod 2 and 4.

Certainly goes to all operators might go to just CPC holders that aren’t operators but don’t know for sure.

It used to be a paper publication but assume it’s been a government cuts victim. The paper version used to have a lot more irrelevant crap in it that would have been of interest to no-one that didn’t work for vosa.

shep532:

That’s good news.

Anyone out there dragging their feet on getting it can just check if their employer is on green for OCRS and if they are not bother as there’s very little chance of being caught.

Harry Monk:

shep532I’ve just logged in with the intention of posting the same information! Good job I checked first.:
The same email also confirms that VOSA will check DQC card for DCPC at every routine encounter plus checks of Operators to ensure DCPC records are being monitored by them. All drivers without the card will be reported to the TC.

Why? You don’t need a DQC and won’t for another two years.

You know what I meant - AFTER the deadline :unamused: . I was just lettin you know what it said. And of course they should be checking already as some people need it now. I suppose i should have typed ‘All drivers without the card THAT NEED THE CARD will be reported to the TC’ :wink:

The present econmic crisis might have a bearing on the figures guys going through tight times and maybe prepared to take a chance on not being caught.Just a thought. Eddie.

For many years I have been presenting a lot of older vehicles for test, which can be quite illuminating and create a few ‘discussions’. Headlight aim, emissions and brake performance among other items all cause problems, not only with the vehicles, but also with the testers’ interpretation and knowledge of what is really required.

While we all have to go back again and meet the same testers and hence decide to keep schtum, so many people fail to argue a point. So the figures for 1st time failure need to be viewed with a little bit of consideration.

Recently taking more modern vehicles for test, I and others have encountered wild discrepancies between rollerbrake test readings taken days, or even hours apart, with exactly the same load and this has been noticed at more than one testing station.

Seems like an unrepresentative comparison,between what would obviously be mostly the uk domestic running fleet,with the foreign international running one.It would be interesting to find out the figures based on a like with like comparison of the uk based international running fleet compared to the east european international running fleet and the respective domestic running fleets’ figures.

In addition to which,considering the obvious government policy of economic growth and investment in eastern europe to take advantage of the cheap labour opportunities there,at the expense of our own industry,why should anyone trust the credibility of the figures in relation to VOSA ‘targetting’.Simply because of the possibility of it being more orientated towards western eurpopean trucks while allowing east european ones to go unchecked on a proportional basis compared to our own for obvious reasons :question: .

The fact is there’s good reason to mistrust any uk government agency provided figures which would show uk vehicles or drivers in a bad light,compared to their foreign (mainly east european) competition.

Shuttlespanker, you really have done it now.
Orys will be along shortly giving us a three page essay on why these figures show that the Polish trucks and drivers are far superior to ours and that is because of blah blah blardy blah and those figures prove it. :unamused:
Sod it I’m orft t’ pub :wink:

Or it could be CF, (an he aint mentioned Philpot once !)

Own Account Driver:

shep532:

That’s good news.

Anyone out there dragging their feet on getting it can just check if their employer is on green for OCRS and if they are not bother as there’s very little chance of being caught.

a company ‘driver’ can’t check to see the company OCRS score

to check the OCRS score, you need to know the login details of the aforementioned company

as such, i could not check online the OCRS score of Southern Star from Kent, although, i would hazard a guess that it would be irrelevant at this moment in time anyway, as that particular company would be on Grey, as that company has no history to check against

We’re waiting Orys…

raymundo:
Or it could be CF, (an he aint mentioned Philpot once !)

Not this time. :smiling_imp: :laughing:

What I’m saying is the possibility of VOSA being told by Cam and Clegg to stop loads of the German,French,Austrian etc international running fleet in the hope that they’ll be maintained to brilliant standards and driven by the best drivers. Compared to the average uk running tipper etc etc possibly driven by an east european driver which won’t be differentiated on the basis of ‘racism’ not being allowed.While waving all the east european wagons driven by east european drivers by. :smiling_imp: :bulb: