In cab safety

Hi all.

I’m looking for a locking system to put on the cab doors to stop unwanted visitors entering the cab while I’m sleeping.

Any idea’s where to look ■■

Thanks in advance.

Geoffo…

For which truck?DAF as example has a good Nightlocksystem of its own .

Strap and Ratchet the doors together,lol

owen1955:
Strap and Ratchet the doors together,lol

+1

ebay.co.uk/itm/400580801119? … 1439.l2649

you can buy those small ratchet straps in any good diy store for a cpl quid , cut to size and your done , just put through the door and entry handles

Used them all the time AFTER being broken into and gassed in Basel. Ideal for scania as well.

Put seatbelt through door handle and click it back in.

If the trailer or cab is set on fire ,there is no time to faff around getting the straps off the doors or handles.
If the smoke does not kill you first,you may not wake up.
A French driver was killed at Vivonne truckstop in France.
His night heater was faulty.
Despite 200 trucks around him at the time,the heat was too intense to pull him out.
At 3 am the Pompiers got there in two minutes.The station is a few miles away.
The gassing of trucks is rubbish and not true.Gas of this nature does not exist.
Gassing tales originate when a driver has spent the bosses running moiney or got robbed by a lady in the cab or got too drunk.A doctor came on Tnuk to prove the gas yarn.Same old tosh “I got gassed”

toby1234abc:
The gassing of trucks is rubbish and not true.Gas of this nature does not exist.
Gassing tales originate when a driver has spent the bosses running moiney or got robbed by a lady in the cab or got too drunk.A doctor came on Tnuk to prove the gas yarn.Same old tosh “I got gassed”

Toby, as usual you are talking out of your ■■■■■■ arse, Gas to temporarily knock people out does exist and I know of it first hand, re. Parkade in Rotterdam while on a small ship with only five crew mind not a truck. The chief officer and myself both woke up after with a terrific headache but no other crew members were affected as they all had their cabin doors locked but not mine or the mates. But of course as every thing you say MUST be fact then what happened to us must have been a figment of our imaginations, but the river police didn’t think so or the doctor that they called.

Raymundo, i couldnt agree more, i have witness drivers who have been gassed, and robbed, and i have been drugged, by girls of the night, only to be robbed of everything, and stranding me for 2 weeks, most originate from the Eastern Bloc, and as they move across europe, they take their tools of the trade with them, but certainly, it does exist, and ask the knob, why companies sell gas detectors for trucks, motorhomes etc.

toby1234abc:

I know a driver who was gassed at kortrjik, had a small amount of personal cash stolen along with his passport and fuel cards. I don’t think he has ever been to a bag house, he doesn’t drink and is the only person I know to have walked el camino santiago the whole way. but I guess you know him better then.

as for cab safety, it’s five minutes to remove the locking rods from the locks on a scania, so that the doors can only be opened via remote.

Slightly off the thread meaning but this is what happened to us:- Ship was called the Ardent and was during March 2010
Arrived alongside Parkade at 0110hrs and cleared customs and immigration.
I locked the wheelhouse and exterior accommodation doors but the engineer did not secure the engine room vents, point of entry.
All turned in by 0200 as we had to shift up river to a small harbour on the Dordse Kil canal come daybreak to load a heavy lift piece of kit for Barrow in Furness
0500 the cook tried to wake me but it took him 20 to get a response from me and when he did my head was killing me and I felt like ■■■■ !! I climbed out of my bunk and in passing closed my wardrobe door and into my day cabin where again all the cupboard doors and drawers were slightly open, but due to the headache and general feeling never thought nothing of it, I took the tea the cook handed me and made my way up to the wheelhouse and went outside where I saw the mate leaning on the rail also complaining of a chronic splitting headache which did clear quite quickly once in the fresh air. Once my brain was functioning reasonably normal I went back to my cabin and found that items that could easily be concealed but nothing bulky had been taken, ie wallet, mobile phones my rather expensive camera and ships cash and a few other minor items of small value. Same in the mates cabin.
I got on the radio and called the local harbour authority who told me for the ship not to leave the berth and they would notify the river police who quite quickly arrived, situation explained and they called the port medical services and two of them arrived about 10/15 minutes later.
Police statements were taken off all crew but the chief and I had to undergo medical checks which involved a blood sample being taken, which later showed up traces of a drug but the report I eventually received was in Dutch and cannot locate the original or the translation.
The river police said we were not the only boat to have been targeted that night on the Parkade, and it was thought to have been perpetrated by an east european gang that was known to be operating in the area. Whether they caught the ■■■■■■■■■ or not I don’t know but it was a very frightening experience when I sat down and thought about it.
So for Prof. Tobies benefit all in all there were about 15 people involved in this little bit of an ‘‘episode into fiction’’. were they all wrong and had we all been to the same brothel, or screwed a lady of the night then got robbed (none operate on the Parkade btw) or got ■■■■■■ knowing we had to get underway again in about three hours and spent the ‘running money’. No way could you spend in three hours the amount of cash we carried anyway. Think before you let your fingers do the thinking for you in future if I were you.

Ps. I never used the common brothels in Rotterdam but the ‘Gentlemen’s Private Clubs’ which were much more expensive but the ambience was of a higher class as were the girls :slight_smile:

Here you go Ray, I took this photo in 2011 on a visit home to England. I’m surprised you had an engineer on her. I worked for a while on the Hoo Swift and thought all of those, including the Ardent just ran with a Captain, Mate, Cook and 2 AB’s? Any way, shocking to hear you got attacked like that on the Parkade! I spent many a time there onboard the Eldor when working between Duisburg and Goole/Trent.

Well he called himself an engineer but I called him a lot of other thing after the Parkade episode :slight_smile: , he was officially a motor man come deckhand. When I first went on those ‘things’ we only carried four crew and the engines were my dept as well but the MCA put paid to that as they said I couldn’t (and others like me) that we could no longer do the jobs together any longer since we had after I first went skipper in '71 !! I did quite a number of turns on the Hoo Swift and the other horrible things then just the Swift after Lappies went ■■■■ up, so therefore you Know Dave from Filingthorpe then, he sailed mate with me for a while when the shoe boxes were knew but now a Humber pilot. The Ardent was never owned or managed by Lapthorns but in her later days she was managed by the new company.

Who fixed the Eldor? were they from Duisburg as I on another ship was chartered to RMS (Rhine Maas und Sea). Not a bad company considering they are German (push push an more push) the chartering manager came to see me one day during the summer, when you had to keep all the portholes shut because of the bloody flying spiders :open_mouth: not really flying but they put out loads of their web stuff and get about on the breeze and boy can they bloody run when you try to catch them ! Anyway the manager said I needed an air conditioning unit in my cabin come office so next thing a portable unit arrives. Lovely, oh what a nice company to work for until the end of the month when I got my bonus and expense sheet in I saw the deductions … 1 x A/C unit + delivery charges :frowning:

Nail a smoke alarm to the ceiling, the type you would find in B&Q, Tesco etc. It will give you those few extra minutes (if a fire ever develops) to get your arse out the door, locked and bolted, chained up or otherwise! :laughing: :wink:
If the worst comes to the worse, a fire develops and you are inside the cab with the doors strapped shut and you cant find the knife that you put safely to hand to cut the straps in just such an emergency ( :wink: ) then you can always kick the screen out! Being stuck in a confined space with a developing fire is a wonderful motivator! :open_mouth:

bullitt:
Nail a smoke alarm to the ceiling, the type you would find in B&Q, Tesco etc. It will give you those few extra minutes (if a fire ever develops) to get your arse out the door, locked and bolted, chained up or otherwise! :laughing: :wink:
If the worst comes to the worse, a fire develops and you are inside the cab with the doors strapped shut and you cant find the knife that you put safely to hand to cut the straps in just such an emergency ( :wink: ) then you can always kick the screen out! Being stuck in a confined space with a developing fire is a wonderful motivator! :open_mouth:

There is a smoke alarm in the highline I drive no battery tho lol

I can’t remember for the life of me the names of the Captain and mate on the Hoo Swift. I know the usual captain, from Whitby wasn’t on her at the time and the mate was from Chatham and had been on her since she was new or soon after. I was only on her by accident really. It was in 2003/04 from memory and I’d been in Immingham dock and saw the Swift there so went onboard for a chat and they’d told me that their Romanian cook had been taken ill and flown home. I thought nothing of it and went home. The next morning my mobile phone rings and its the captain of the Hoo Swift, the mate got my phone number from a mutual friend and they offered me the job as cook as their Filipino replacement had missed his flight from Manila. I wasn’t working at the time but said that my cooking abilities were non-existant and that I hadn’t been to sea in over a year so had no wish to try cooking, while feeling seasick so they bumped one of the Filipino AB’s in to the galley and I went on deck. My God, what an ark of a ship. Having only worked on modern German coasters (Selene Prahm, Martha Hammann and Eldor) it was like going back in time on a museum ship, plus everything was broken and worn out so it made the job twice as difficult as needs be.

The Eldor was on with RMS and had been since new in 1981, right up until the owner, Paul Häse sold her to a Danish company. In her earlier years, along with fleet mates Condor, Pandor, Tudor, and Widor they all had china clay slurry tanks in their hold, one forward and one aft and a dry hold in between and ran out of Par and Fowey a lot and apparently even used to have quite a few Cornish seamen onboard during the 80s. By the time I was on the Eldor 2001/02 those tanks had been removed and she was solely employed running between Goole/Grove Wharf and Duisburg other inland ports nearby, Mülheim an der Ruhr being a common one. That was by far my most enjoyable job in my short stint at sea, and even though the Eldor was the oldest ship I was on, it was a fantastic ship to work on, well maintained, well designed, everything worked 100% and the Cape Verde deck crew were friendly and keen to teach me the job, unlike the Filipino’s on the first two ships who were little barstweards and resented me “taking their jobs”! Despite the fact I’m half German.

Think it would be best if we continued these tales by PM otherwise we will get told ‘Wot the ■■■■ has this got to do with trucks’ cos they can be a small minded lot at times :wink: :wink: :slight_smile:

Ps The regular captain who had her from new for about 18 year old was Dave Estill, he left to go piloting, sitting on my mantle piece at home is the miniature creel he had on the bridge for years and years but left it there after his last trip so I ‘borrowed’ it as I relieved him for his last 4 weeks holiday, I knew he had packed it in but waited for the office to tell me, they never did and in the end I done 10 weeks straight off.
I was master on the RMS Aramon from 25/8/98 till 3/8/01 mainly on the Spanish Portuguese and Medi run, so my discharge book tells me.

To toby and guys that say you dont get gassed ur talking ■■■■. I went to bed no beer locked up (scania). Woke up spliting sore head interior light on central locking disengaged. They took all the cash in my wallet around 100e but left all the cards. 3 other guys beside me were done the same time and we all were sporting hangovers with no bevy.