I like technology but is this too much too soon?

tommy t:

Sprinter Si:
What about variables that you can’t really replicate with a computer, for example a tyre blow-out, poor road conditions such as snow etc? Surely there will always be a need for a human sat behind a wheel? 99% of what happens on board an aircraft is automated these days but I don’t think you’ll find loads of pilots being put on the dole any time soon. I think humans will always be needed for the rare occasions something outside of the box happens.

For one aircraft and vehicles are two very different type of transport, aircraft have guidance from the ground and are closely monitored by the network of control towers around the world , and the pilots are trained to fly the aircraft should they need to, they have to land and take off manually ,What works up in the sky’s wouldn’t work on the roads,
And this automation will encourage more law breaking ,

Most of the time an aircraft is in flight its being flown by computers, it is a well known fact that pilots very often fall asleep on long haul night flights

How would a computer put the airlines on , dogclip , number plate on trailer swaps etc

wheelnutt:

tommy t:
For one aircraft and vehicles are two very different type of transport, aircraft have guidance from the ground ,

No such thing as “guidance” from the ground.

So what is ILS then?

There’s a system I’ve seen on YouTube where the suzies auto connect on contact (ill have a look when home) won’t be long before we get led number plates and dog clips will become a thing of the past - you don’t have them on shunt wagons.

zaax:

wheelnutt:

tommy t:
For one aircraft and vehicles are two very different type of transport, aircraft have guidance from the ground ,

So what is ILS then?

ILS does not offer guidance. It is entirely up to the aircraft to determine its flightpath, all control is within the aircraft, not on the ground, navigation decisions are entirely made on board. Yes it uses some forms of ground based navigation devices, however all control is on board.

When it comes to guided missiles or rockets, then the decision making process is made on the ground.

wheelnutt:

tommy t:

Yes there is, VORs, NDBs, & ATC are all ground based.

straight from daimler.com

Mercedes-Benz presents the “Future Truck 2025” as the world’s first autonomously driving truck.
A truck drives along a motorway all by itself, at a speed of 80 km/h, communicating with its surroundings and ensuring more safety on the roads. It also saves its operator money, and relieves its driver of stress and fatigue in monotonous traffic situations.
Sounds like science fiction? Think again, as it is already here today - the Future Truck 2025 from Mercedes-Benz. The Highway Pilot system enables this truck to drive autonomously at a speed of 80 kilometres per hour. With it we are presenting the long-distance truck of tomorrow, and giving an outlook on the transport system of the future. It is based on intelligent networking of all the safety systems already available, plus cameras, radar sensors and vehicle-to-vehicle communication.
There are many challenges facing the road transport sector: Despite increasing traffic density, investment in the infrastructure is in decline. Added to this are increasing cost pressure on transport operators and the already acute shortage of drivers. Daimler Trucks has an answer to all this — the truck of tomorrow: safer, more efficient, highly networked and autonomous.
Thanks to autonomous driving, the transport sector could look like this in only ten years: Traffic flows are smoother, more predictable and safer. Human error behind the wheel is avoided. Freight forwarders operate more profitably and flexibly. The professional profile of the truck driver has undergone a change — from a trucker to a transport manager with far more responsibilities.
Hard to believe? Then take a look at this Special, where we have put together everything worth knowing about the Future Truck 2025 for you. And from tomorrow you can see it in “autonomous action” — in a recording of the world premiere run on a section of the A 14 autobahn near Magdeburg

Pimpdaddy:

wheelnutt:

tommy t:

Yes there is, VORs, NDBs, ILS & ATC are all ground based.

The definition of the word guidance is as follows:

guid·ance

noun
1.the act or function of guiding; leadership; direction.
2.advice or counseling, especially that provided for students choosing a course of study or preparing for a vocation.
3.supervised care or assistance, especially therapeutic help in the treatment of minor emotional disturbances.
4.something that guides.
5.the process by which the flight of a missile or rocket may be altered in speed and direction in response to controls situated either wholly in the projectile or partly at a base.

None of that applies to the navigation of aircraft, other than missiles, rockets or drones etc. There is no guidance from the ground as part of normal navigation. An aircraft uses ground based navigation devices as a source for determining its flight path so in that point we agree, however it determines its own guidance as to how to use those ground based navigation devices to fly along a flightpath as determined by the crew, or as advised by ATC when being radar vectored. There have been plenty of examples of ATC radar vectoring an aircraft into terrain or atrocious weather when the crew failed to dissiminate outside vectoring in relation to weather and terrain.

wheelnutt:
4.something that guides.

None of that applies to the navigation of aircraft, other than missiles, rockets or drones etc. There is no guidance from the ground as part of normal navigation.

#4 is your best bet. You’re right in that it’s not for normal navigation. Ask Freightdog…

Pimpdaddy:
. Ask Freightdog…

No need to, used them plenty of times myself. :wink:

wheelnutt:

Pimpdaddy:

wheelnutt:
. Ask Freightdog…

No need to, used them plenty of times myself. :wink:

Ok…:slight_smile:

So what happens when two driverless vehicles meet each other on a road where they cannot pass?
With drivers, one would normally go onto the path etc to make room, will a computer be able to do this , or will they simply wait there…for ever?

del949:
So what happens when two driverless vehicles meet each other on a road where they cannot pass?
With drivers, one would normally go onto the path etc to make room, will a computer be able to do this , or will they simply wait there…for ever?

Or how about 4 of them arriving at a 4-way roundabout at the same time… If you were in a normal car and saw a few approaching, you would just have to stop to see how “clever” they were to figure it out. You could just sit there and laugh your socks off at the muppet “driving” a driver less one and not going anywhere anytime soon…

I am imagining the sentimental threads here in 20 years that swear by the virtues of “proper drivers” who attended their own steering wheels, used the resume button efficiently, and manually held 11th on motorway hills.

Lot of “what if” questions here thought up on the spot or since hearing the news article. These cars have been in development for decades … I’m sure the R&D teams have considered all of the problems thoroughly … :open_mouth:

Pretty major milestone though. Almost as big as when the petrol fed horses took over.

Ched:
. I’m sure the R&D teams have considered all of the problems thoroughly … :open_mouth:

Aye, that’s why they are testing them for 36 months, they are far from being ready for the open road. I am sure they will find plenty of scenarios that the cars can’t handle just yet.

That said, I am actually looking forward to seeing them once all testing is completed.

Terry T:
I’d like to see a driverless truck being reversed onto a loading bay.

Sadly it’s all down to mathematics and sensors so a driverless truck would always do it better. Best look for a job in a call centre, charity shop or fast food joint although they will probably all be automated soon :frowning:

If there had been a forum like this back in the 1830s, I can just imagine much the same argument:

“Still wouldn’t get me in one of them orseless carriages. It’d be worse than having the wife driving.”

“This aint just technology it’s a serious threat to our jobs, or for those still driving horses for a living if this crap idea actually comes to fruition , and if not a threat to employment certainly to the wage levels

But will the vocational drivers all stand as one and do their uttermost to protect their lively hoods, or just continue being divided and unheard as we have been for years ?

I wouldn’t trust technology that far, steam ain’t safe - look what happened to that one in Cornwall - BOOM ,and they will never be 100% failsafe.”

“I’d like to see a steam truck being reversed onto a loading bay.”

“So what happens when two steam vehicles meet each other on a road where they cannot pass? With proper drivers, they would normally get down and lead the ‘orses past, onto the path etc to make room, will a steamer be able to do this , or will they simply wait there…for ever?”

Load of pish, more chance of hoover boards this Christmas.

Santa:
If there had been a forum like this back in the 1830s, I can just imagine much the same argument:

“Still wouldn’t get me in one of them orseless carriages. It’d be worse than having the wife driving.”

“This aint just technology it’s a serious threat to our jobs, or for those still driving horses for a living if this crap idea actually comes to fruition , and if not a threat to employment certainly to the wage levels

But will the vocational drivers all stand as one and do their uttermost to protect their lively hoods, or just continue being divided and unheard as we have been for years ?

I wouldn’t trust technology that far, steam ain’t safe - look what happened to that one in Cornwall - BOOM ,and they will never be 100% failsafe.”

“I’d like to see a steam truck being reversed onto a loading bay.”

“So what happens when two steam vehicles meet each other on a road where they cannot pass? With proper drivers, they would normally get down and lead the ‘orses past, onto the path etc to make room, will a steamer be able to do this , or will they simply wait there…for ever?”

lol was just typing pretty much the same thing.