I like technology but is this too much too soon?

We’ve known they’ve existed for a while but are UK roads really ready for driverless cars next year?

news.sky.com/story/1309854/drive … by-january

To quote a woman on the blurb:
" But the main obstacles may not be technological, but legal.

Suzie Mills, a lawyer at Ashfords, told Sky News: "That’s going to be one of the areas that consumers want to know about - what does their insurance cover? Is it going to affect premiums?

“That’s going to come down to clarifying exactly where responsibility sits. And that is something the government’s going to need to look at and definitely insurance companies are going to want to know about.”

If the technology’s that good, you won’t need insurance will you :unamused: :unamused:

Still wouldn’t get me in one. It’d be worse than having the wife driving.

peterm:

If you had seen my wifes driving anything would be better!!

edwardj:

peterm:

If you had seen my wifes driving anything would be better!!

don’t she say the same about you though :wink: :wink: :wink: :wink:

Why would anyone need driverless car. Just take a bus, train taxi.

Would you actually be a driver?

dexterboy:

No you would be a passenger :wink:

edwardj:

dexterboy:

No you would be a passenger :wink:

So you could come home pi55ed from the Pub? And if you have a crash you can say, nothing to do with me mate, I was reading my paper at the time! Mind-boggling innit? :confused:

Bernard

mercerdes are planning to have a driverless actros for sale by 2025

Will the Actros need a dcpc to use our roads?

This aint just technology it’s a serious threat to our jobs, or for those still driving for a living if this crap idea actually comes to fruition , and if not a threat to employment certainly to the wage levels

But will the vocational drivers all stand as one and do their uttermost to protect their lively hoods, or just continue being divided and unheard as we have been for years ?

I wouldn’t trust technology that far, computers are only as good as the info stored ,and they will never be 100% failsafe ,

What about variables that you can’t really replicate with a computer, for example a tyre blow-out, poor road conditions such as snow etc? Surely there will always be a need for a human sat behind a wheel? 99% of what happens on board an aircraft is automated these days but I don’t think you’ll find loads of pilots being put on the dole any time soon. I think humans will always be needed for the rare occasions something outside of the box happens.

Sprinter Si:
What about variables that you can’t really replicate with a computer, for example a tyre blow-out, poor road conditions such as snow etc? Surely there will always be a need for a human sat behind a wheel? 99% of what happens on board an aircraft is automated these days but I don’t think you’ll find loads of pilots being put on the dole any time soon. I think humans will always be needed for the rare occasions something outside of the box happens.

For one aircraft and vehicles are two very different type of transport, aircraft have guidance from the ground and are closely monitored by the network of control towers around the world , and the pilots are trained to fly the aircraft should they need to, they have to land and take off manually ,What works up in the sky’s wouldn’t work on the roads,
And this automation will encourage more law breaking ,

tommy t:
And this automation will encourage more law breaking ,

I can’t see that myself Tommy, maybe I’m missing something. Care to explain?

tommy t:
For one aircraft and vehicles are two very different type of transport, aircraft have guidance from the ground ,

No such thing as “guidance” from the ground.

tommy t:
are closely monitored by the network of control towers around the world ,

No, they are not. A larger area of the world is not covered by radar at all, for start the oceans, large parts of Africa and Asia, the top and bottom of the earth etc.

tommy t:
they have to land and take off manually,

Not necessarily, aircraft can happily land on their own at such low visibility that the guy sitting up front can barely see his hand in front of his face.

I’d like to see a driverless truck being reversed onto a loading bay.

alamcculloch:
Will the Actros need a dcpc to use our roads?

Yes. The computer will have to be plugged into the mainframe at Skynet for 7 hours every year.

It will also ensure the landing legs are fully wound to the top to minimise fines from VOSA.

What about variables that you can’t really replicate with a computer, for example a tyre blow-out, poor road conditions such as snow etc?

I imagine a computer will handle those better than a human.

Terry T:
I’d like to see a driverless truck being reversed onto a loading bay.

The technology already exists for cars that can park themselves. They can’t be a million miles off developing technology so trucks can do the same, driverless shunting tugs will be the first.

I think whether we like it or not, technology will with time further and further erode the role of humans in road transport.

won’t matter if they don’t find alternative methods of fuelling vehicles by 2030ish. All vehicles will be driverless. Saudi oil fields are expected to dry up in roughly 15 years. :open_mouth: :open_mouth: