How long does data stay on the card

I seem to remember that there is space on the tacho card for 45 shifts after that it starts to over write the oldest records, is this correct. I haven’t driven for a while for a couple of reasons. Went for interview today when they looked at my card they said it was blank and they couldn’t go any further until i had a week or two of work on my card. My argument is that ok it is old data but if i haven’t used the card for awhile the old data will be there. I did ask the assessor but he said no its deleted soon as he downloads the card

Twenty Eight days. Then it should be downloaded .

ok thanks dunno where i got 45 from

The old data will probably still be there but for whatever reason the system isn’t set up to download data from that far back.

You would think they could have simply asked you about recent driving before bringing you in though.

A card can hold a year or more activity quite easily depending on how much data is written to it daily. I can usually go back at least a year on my cards. Unless it’s a new card then it will only go back as far as it’s valid from date.

Info from a previous employer won’t be shown on tachomaster at least. It will just say worked elsewhere. They wouldn’t have access to vehicles you drove or shift length and breaks etc. Even as far as infringements they will only see x amount of infringements not what those infringements are.

As I understand it from my time using tachomaster.

Sent from my CPH2173 using Tapatalk

cooper1203:
. I did ask the assessor but he said no its deleted soon as he downloads the card

Do you mean at your old place if work? I don’t believe a job interviewer can delete data from your card.
As others say, I can see data on my card going back a year or more. Sounds like they didn’t read your card properly. If you can get access to a tacho put it in and see what printouts you can retrieve.

Data on the card cannot be deleted it can only be overwritten if the card gets full.

alamcculloch:
Twenty Eight days. Then it should be downloaded .

Not strictly true. It’s the drivers responsibility to make his/her card available for download within 28 days. It’s up to the employer to download the presented card. Not the drivers problem if they don’t download it.

As for how long data stays on the card that depends entirely on how many “events” a driver has; a driver on urban multi drop will have many more events than for example a long distance tramper. I currently have around 260 days of information available.

cooper1203:
. I did ask the assessor but he said no its deleted soon as he downloads the card

An assessor that clearly needs to learn to speak about things he actually knows the answer too. Makes you wonder what else he does not know as a an assessor.

As I have previously posted the data cannot be deleted off the card, even when downloaded it is still there simply a copy of that data is downloaded.

Having said all of that it is possible your card has been near a magnet or microwave etc that could have potentially wiped the data.

As has been said if you can have access to a tacho head stick card in and see if you can do printouts from your last shifts on the card. If you can then the data is there and they can’t access it for some reason. If the card has been corrupted by a magnet etc then I would expect error code 50 and the card to be spat back out the tacho head.

I believe that the analysis software companies may well charge per driver per week, so if the software is set up to backdate 6 months for every card that is put in, that would end up being a fair amount of money.

There isn’t an issue in terms of driving with no data for recent driving, if you haven’t been working.

It may be worth a letter to the TM to say that your card is perfectly fine and you were off work for however long for x reason. You may find that the assessor is implementing his/her own criteria to recruitment. Don’t lie down and take things like this.

If they required recent driving then this could have been dealt with before you came in for an interview.

I’ve seen more than a year available on my card.
Just checked, 9/01/2023 is earliest showing on this card and I’ve just printed it out to double check. No issues.
That’s over 9 months.

The simple answer is that the data remains on your card forever, until it is either overwritten by newer data or the card malfunctions. I still have my original card from when they were first issued and it downloads quite happily.

Downloading data from a card DOES NOT delete the original data. The download process is simply a copying process along with the production of a digital signature to show authenticity of the copy. It’s like downloading an image off an internet site. You have a copy on your PC or tablet but the original stays on the internet site until the site owner decides to delete it.

Data has different criteria regarding when it gets overwritten depending upon the storage criteria. Currently my card shows activity data back January 2023. Vehicles used the earliest record is July 2023, places for duty start finish is end of July 2023. The earlies ‘event’ is October 2021. The card was valid from September 2021.

I think that the software used by the assessor may have a time limit built in to it with regard to displaying data. The download of a driver card is always all data on the card, but different software packages may have different display criteria, usually linked to the software providers charging policies.

As has been suggested you could put your card into a tacho and see what activity dates you can print out. That would also check that the card hasn’t developed a fault. To be honest a magnetic field present in a wallet or home is unlikely to stop a card from working. Such things will prevent the black stripe on a bank card from working but the chips on credit cards and tacho cards work in a different way. The EMP from a nuclear explosion would probably fry the chip but is you were near a nuclear detonation I don’t think the your tacho card not working is going to be your biggest problem!

Not having driven much in the past couple of years I thought I would chuck my card in the reader,
earliest entry viewable 03/08/21. So it only disapears when over written.

trevorking1964:
Just checked, 9/01/2023 is earliest showing on this card and I’ve just printed it out to double check. No issues.
That’s over 9 months.

I must do more work than you! [emoji12]

As said above, downloading or doing print offs etc does NOt delet any data from the card.
Data may be lost once the card is full and the oldest data gets over ridden. How long that is depends on how many entries get created …… rumbling for miles on a motorway can be a single entry, whilst lost of shuffling, changes of mode etc can result in loads of entries. Of course the more entires, the more data gets used…

stu675:

trevorking1964:
That’s over 9 months.

I must do more work than you! [emoji12]

I do 5 drops and 5 collections a week. So yes,…

If you did a 12 hour shift on Day one, and then a 10 hour shift on day 29 (where 10 hours overwrites the first 10 hours of day 1)
…Then you get left with a “Remnent” of two hours driving in whatever vehicle you had, even though it might be over a YEAR Ago.

Look at your till roll next time you print one out… Recognize all those vehicle registrations as “Recent” - Or is there one from WAY BACK on there too? :bulb: :bulb: :bulb:

Also, it’s 28 days of data, not 28 working days, or even 28 calendar days…

It might take you 3months plus to ratchet up the full “28 days of data” then…

Winseer:
Also, it’s 28 days of data, not 28 working days, or even 28 calendar days…

It might take you 3months plus to ratchet up the full “28 days of data” then…

It’s 28 calendar days, the same as the period of paper tacho discs you had to retain. May I suggest you re-do the EU Drivers Hours DCPC module?

I did that module twice, and asked that particular question on the 2nd go…

28 CALENDER days - would mean that “if you do a shift on 1st January then 10 shifts through the rest of the month, the 30th January shift you do would over-write the 1st January”.

No it doesn’t.

28 DATA days - means that “nothing happens” on 30th January, since only the 11th shift of January gets written into the 11th slot on the card, leaving another 17 before the 1st slot gets over-written.

28 WORKING days - means the same as (b) unless you did 17 days work “not driving” (but showing a manual entry for days worked you did no driving) as well.

Essentially, using your card pop in, popped out 28 TIMES is what triggers the slot that day’s data goes in.

You put forward no argument about the “file remnent” I mentioned as well.
Have you ever seen reference to a vehicle you used over 3 months ago - on your printout? Yes or no…
Has anyone else?
Wanna accuse me of “seeing things” when I say this is the kosher version of how the damned ram disk drive that is our chipped-card works?
…It’s possible that people who never work more than 12 hours - will never have this remnent… I have no idea how often or not you or anyone else works between 12 and 15 hours of course, which is the area of chip storage where most file remnents end up, btw…

^^^^tosh

Data stays on the card until the physical capacity isn’t there and it gets overwritten. As a few have alluded to, the number of days will depend on how many entries are made per day.