Hourly rate versus Salary?

Just wondered what folk reckons best. I work on an hourly rate at min however know there’s a job I could take that’s salaried plus bonuses for bits and bobs.

Cheers peeps.

Hourly.

I’m on £7.70 an hour at min but been offered £20,000 ish per year salaried. I’m so crap at maths lol!!!

Try this…iknowtax.com/2014/

It really depends on the job and the type of work personally i don’t like bonus and the like as they can be withdrawn or changed at least with hourly your paid for what you do

rearaxle that’s really helpful thanks. Yeah looking at it think probably hourly rate is better. At min I’m on Palletways job doing 15 drops a day plus collections. Most of deliveries are taillift then handball off. Most weighing about 1000kgs to!!! The salaried job is groupage national work plus nights out. Just when I reckon I’ve made my mind up I start doubting stuff!!!

At a rough guide your current hourly rate 20k works out to approx 54 hours a week, based on 48 weeks working in the year. How many hours is the new job expected to be per week and is it going to mean a better hourly rate?

bjd:
…at least with hourly your paid for what you do

You get paid for how long you’re at work you mean? Not what you actually do?

I spent over 8 hours in a layby earlier this week waiting for a couple of different mechanics and eventually a wrecker.

I didn’t do anything apart from a bit of sleeping, a bit of online Christmas shopping, and a few levels on Candy Crush.

I got paid exactly the same as if I’d been “working” all day.

In this game, it’s got to be hourly. :sunglasses:

We get 40 hours basic plus 5 hours guaranteed overtime. At min I’m doing about 55 hours a week on average and we get 30 quid a week ADR payment to.

Tell you what getting on this forum site is the best thing I’ve done!!! Really appreciate all your advice and input guys [THUMBS UP SIGN]

THE TRANSPORTER:
We get 40 hours basic plus 5 hours guaranteed overtime. At min I’m doing about 55 hours a week on average and we get 30 quid a week ADR payment to.

The two wages are not that much different then at 55 hours a week, although once the holiday pay for 4 weeks is factored in the new job might actually pay a little less. Depends on the bonuses you mentioned.

I’m salaried and it’s nice to know to the penny what’s going in the bank every pay day. I’m not interested in chasing extra hours or overtime so salaried suits me.

Hourly. Day rate/salary encourages corner cutting and tear arsing about. I regard it as the longer you work, the less you’re paid to do it. When on day rate, I hated it when I got the call to “just go here and pick up…” whereas now when my boss asks me if I can get another load from somewhere, there’s a financial benefit to me, and justifies my job a bit more.

Hourly paid for me, that way you know where you are and can work out your wage every week, and if you want to earn a little more the option is always there.
I never trust these elaborate bonus schemes as you can sure as hell bet that it will be biased on their side and not yours, no matter how good they attempt to make it look for you.
Also these slow on the uptake drivers that believe that they are on an earnings percentage when the truck earnings are not disclosed to them :unamused: :laughing: , a gaffer’s dream those idiots :smiley: . anybody gonna admit it?
A few years in the job rightly makes you cynical :sunglasses: :bulb:

Salaries work well when you’re on a contracted hours agreement as in most professions. Means they pay you a salary for X hours. Anything over is overtime or deductible from following weeks to average out. Day rate without a contractual hours agreement with no protection other than EU regs is not a salary really, just a very variable hourly rate from good to dire/below min wage, normally stacked in the company’s favour and why they probably offer it.

Road transport to me is best on hourly unless a contract protecting average ‘real’ (not wtd) hours on a day rate.

Freight Dog:
Salaries work well when you’re on a contracted hours agreement as in most professions. Means they pay you a salary for X hours. Anything over is overtime or deductible from following weeks to average out.

This. The place I drive at on agency does annualised hours. You can tell when the fulltimers have run out of hours by the increase in the number of day runs we get.

I’ve driven at plenty of places where drivers are on salary and this isn’t the case though. I’d say those that take the mick outweigh those who do it properly by a massive amount, those who do it properly usually being companies where haulage isn’t their main business, i.e a manufacturer who runs their own trucks.

Freight Dog is correct in his point regarding salaries and contracted hours. I am salaried, albeit not in the haulage industry (thank goodness) on the basis of 40 hours per week. If that’s exceeded, which sometimes it is due to various events, dinners, needing to be in London for 0830 and so on, the company’s policy is that ‘extra’ hours may be taken as lieu time when it’s mutually beneficial.

That’s the only kind of scenario when salary works well. Any of this ‘extra hours when business demands dictate’ is only OK if you get them back when your needs dictate.

You’ve got to look at the salary in a different way each and everyday/week.
example.
£500 basic
@65 hours = £7.69
@60 hours = £8.33
@55 hours = £9.09
now everyday is different in the amount of hours you work so it swings in roundabouts.
then on top of that, are there any bonuses paid.
For instance.
is there meal allowance, attendance bonus, percentage bonus etc etc.
now I’m on salary with 2 bonus schemes and it’s been the best paid job I’ve ever had.
on the other hand you’ve got to look at the reasons why you would prefer salary over hourly and vis versa.
on salary it’s job and done and you get paid weather you work 1 minute or 15 hours.
on hourly you get paid for what you do and that could mean hanging the job out just to get that extra £10 a day.
another example is
your paid £100 daily and you work 10 hours that works out at £10 an hour.
now if your on hourly at say £8 an hour, for you to get that £100 you would have to work for 12 hours and 25 minutes.
at the end of the day it’s totally your own choice but salary for me is best.

I’ve done salary and it never worked out that way lizard. Salaried drivers for a haulage company means they don’t give a toss if you have to sit for ages at a RDC because it doesn’t cost them any more. It also means that if there’s an extra run the salaried driver will get sent out on it because it doesn’t cost them any more.

As hourly paid if you drag the job out then that is a decision you’ve made, not one your boss has forced on you.

The job I applied for is £385 a week. Not sure if its salaried or hourly.